News Magic Kingdom and Epcot Fireworks to Resume July 1st

lightguy

Except waits right now aren't really that short either. And most can't get into Sci-Fi at 60 days either.

My friend there this past week said waits were much longer than expected. She wasn't a fan of FP+ and she's not a fan of this either.
I have a friend there right now too, and she said waits for rides haven't been a problem at all. 45 min. was their longest wait. She said buses have been a MUCH bigger problem.

lightguy

Is that a different license than castle pyro requires?
The ATF license is for the storage of explosives. Note sure if Disney has one for the whole resort or one for each park. But if they continued to hold product all this time then their ATF permits better still be valid. Disney is the biggest user of fireworks in the world. They may have other state/local permit requirements for the actual use of the fireworks. They may also need (have to reactivate???) FAA approval. I was a pyro tech on a "Laser Light Spectacular" at a park (much smaller than disney) for a couple years in college- we had to call the local airport twice before we started the show and once when it was over.

Squishy

Well, pretty good point except that there are limits to the cram rate and some of those limits are not directly covid related. For example, the RCID fire marshal sets (max) park limits based on several things, one being how many CMs are present at work in the park (for crowd control, evacuation execution, etc.). So, reduced CM staff also means reduced crowds. It's a complex item and a big part of the reason why Disney is slow to open up attendance numbers. I do realize that many CMs were readily available to return to work when WDW reopened but also, many were not. And then there's training/re-training.

Fireworks are another 'iceberg' issue. Bringing the staff back is one thing but then Disney also has to reopen their ATF license, go through their entire stock of shells, test and weed out any that have passed their expiration date, refill their local stock rooms, test every launcher and the launch system, etc... It all takes time.

In the end though, I would say 'staffing' is their biggest issue - from on-stage CMs to support staff, college program, international program, etc. It all takes time, especially with so many levels of checks and balances. I have no idea when fireworks will be back but I do know that Disney has been working towards that since right after the holidays. And it's not their top priority.
That's the way I see it anyway!
Not sure where this keeps coming from. Shells don't really have a 'expiration date'. Unless you mean them going bad due to moisture or water from improper storage...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Is keeping restaurants closed and at 25% capacity an example of "cost cutting"?
I expect them to use MBA logic and rather than keep restaurants open at 25% capacity and lose money on staff and inventory, just keep the restaurants closed until they can fully staff, fully seat, and go back to making obscene money on mediocre ingredients sold at premium prices. And whoever suggested shooting off fireworks in the restaurants just lost my vote for CEO...

Lilofan

Yep, it's all about avoiding lawsuits. If Disney had their druthers they'd be full speed ahead (I can't say I would blame them at this point either).
Palmas group that staffs restaurants at CSR, DS, Mexico/Epcot is offering $1K bonus for new staff so there is a hiring shortage to derail full steam ahead.

In the Parks
Yes
Not sure where this keeps coming from. Shells don't really have a 'expiration date'. Unless you mean them going bad due to moisture or water from improper storage...
Sorry, poor choice of words. Disney has a provision in their contract with all three U.S. suppliers, that after <some number of years/months> they can return any unused material. This was what I meant by expiration date. The explanation I got about this is that the rules for pyro inspection(s) get a bit more lengthy and complex as the shelf time gets longer and Disney prefers to rely on their vendors for the more complex inspections rather than hire/train more staff on the inside. I know that they exercised that provision early summer 2020 and are exercising it again now, rotating out older stock for new.

EricsBiscuit

Right. And our insiders let us know when budgets have been cut. But they're not saying that now.

Also, Disney can make more money by dropping COVID protocols, and they're not.

Just look at FotLK. When people heard that there were no tumble monkeys and aerialist acts, they said "cost-cutting." But, those were the two acts in which the CMs touched one another. Clearly a COVID protocol thing. Plus, the CMs who are the aerialists weren't cut. They're still there and dancing, but not doing the aerial act which requires them to touch each other. Disney is still paying them. Such a change couldn't be done for the tumble monkeys. So... it wasn't cost-cutting at all. But the true believers still proclaim it was cost-cutting despite insiders telling them it wasn't.

Does anyone believe that Disney doesn't want all their restaurants open and packed with people? That would make them a ton of money. And yet, restaurants are still following COVID protocols, which means Disney is losing money by following those protocols... which they don't have to (because... Florida). Is keeping restaurants closed and at 25% capacity an example of "cost cutting"?
Disney’s restaurants being kept under 100% capacity and no fireworks is not an example of cost cutting. It is an example of executive incompetence. They should be at full restaurant capacity by now.

orky8

That is a work force issue.

Pay better. We are still paying full price to enter the parks; they can certainly afford to raise wages a few dollars.

Isn't that another way of saying cost cutting? Not providing a service (e.g., closed a restaurant) because unwilling to pay prevailing wage to staff the restaurant?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom