Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman101

I'm not sure I totally buy the makeovers. I do think Tomorrowland desperately needs help and cohesion. I like the paint job they did with the Astro rockets. It reminds me of Discoveryland. The rest of the areas though? You have basically Sci Fi City in the first half and classic Tomorrowland in the second half. The kiddie attractions in the first half are what takes away from it. I don't mind the overlay to the buildings but they need to do serious work here. I can't see them doing that. Maybe over time, with little projects here and there.

Frontierland expansion would thrill me. I spend the least amount of time in that area, except on the river and the rides, but the strip mall of shops does nothing for me. It's nothing but a walkway to the rides. It really needs some sort of expansion. Again though, with the way this park is run, why would they spend the money? I want them to.

I'd believe this if it was ANY other place than WDW. They've shown little care to invest. I mean, Phil couldn't even give Space Mountain a real refurb and is cutting it with Pirates. I don't know. I know it's not his call on expansions but I can't see it. I'd love to be surprised though.

And just because some are saying it won't happen it doesn't mean it won't or can't. The 50th is 2021. They seem to work with seven year plans. It COULD be possible and it could also be something that was thrown out there in a discussion and never really went anywhere. That happens too. I'm sure there's SOME merit to it. Doesn't mean it's greenlit and happening.

I still wish they'd pony up the cash and move over IASW and Carousel. And yes, I hear some groaning about it. I don't care. They make more sense in Epcot at this point and it's in my head as a grand makeover of Future World.

Honestly, I'd rather they focus on fixing Hollywood Studios and Future World before they touch the MK again.

Kman101

While you guys are discussing expansion on the west side of the park, I feel it would be more likely they would expand the east side of the park.

In this pic, "Area 1" could be developed for either New Fantasy Land or Tomorrowland. The removal of Tomorrowland Speedway opens up access to the area behind it.
View attachment 97181
I know the area in blue is backstage parking for CMs, however it provides a great amount of land for a proper Tomorrowland Expansion. Not to mention the area between CoP and SM (where the old skyway bldg sits). Also, this could connect to the Mainstreet Bypass providing a new exit from Tomorrowland

However I doubt they will do any expansions to the park any time soon.

You mean, put Frozen where it should have gone? ;)

But yeah, I doubt they do anything, even though they should and they should have TRULY expanded Fantasyland. Using land that was used before then cut off from guests for 20 years doesn't count.

jt04

MerlinTheGoat had mentioned a different method that had talked about re-doing the northern part of Tom Sawyer Island. While adding the new land area behind BTMR would not impact current things, it's way out of the way and would result in walkways likefor a new queue/attrationbetween Peter Pan and Small World.

I could also see Disney docking the Riverboat permanently OR with modification of the island and track of the Riverboat make the boat go in a circle instead of extended figure 8 (minus the crossover in the middle). That would free up the northern part for 1-3 attractions and potentially allow Rivers of America to be circumnavigated on foot to get rid of dead-ends. Lots of potential ideas for this.

Yes, permanently docking the riverboat opens up as many possibilities as relocating IaSW if not more. It would make a great restaurant or entry portal/queue for a new attraction or land.

IMO.

odmichael

If you remove Tom Sawyer's Island as an attraction, you can create a bridge that connects Frontier Land to the Island and then another bridge to Fantasy Land. That will fix park congestion in Frontier Land and open new land on the island for more attractions.

P_Radden

If you remove Tom Sawyer's Island as an attraction, you can create a bridge that connects Frontier Land to the Island and then another bridge to Fantasy Land. That will fix park congestion in Frontier Land and open new land on the island for more attractions.

I really like this idea. I feel like Tom Sawyer Island has so much potential for a new attraction. It along with the river take up A LOT OF LAND.

So like you said, dry dock the river boat on the Liberty Square dock. Build a bridge over to the island from Town Square, then another bridge across from BTM. Put an "E" or even "D" ticket on the island along with other smaller attractions. Then incorporate some sort of river side attraction to top it all off. Maybe even add some water features to the river like fountains or a waterfall on the island. Now there's twice as much to do in Frontierland.

P_Radden

Ok, have a little down time here work :rolleyes: ...

Here is a rough idea of what we are talking about above.
TSI.jpg

You can see the 2 new bridges, the river boat dry docked and some sort of waterfall/rock feature. Doing this would open up foot traffic in Frontierland. Instead of dead ending at BTM, guests can connect over the island back to Fantasyland/Liberty Square corridor. Now the only question is, what to do on Tom Sawyer Island?

odmichael

View attachment 97183

You can see the 2 new bridges, the river boat dry docked and some sort of waterfall/rock feature. Doing this would open up foot traffic in Frontierland. Instead of dead ending at BTM, guests can connect over the island back to Fantasyland/Liberty Square corridor. Now the only question is, what to do on Tom Sawyer Island?
A possibility is have Frontier Land connect to Fort Sam Clemens as well. Might get messy, but if they wanted a larger attraction, make Fort Sam Clemens a ride que that takes you over to Tom Sawyer's Island for the ride.

They could also put a ride on Fort Sam Clemens and just have 2 smaller attractions.

The water around the island could also be potentially used.

Goofywilliam

View attachment 97183

Yes this would help with foot traffic but it would do away with the kinetics and atmosphere the riverboat provides and the depth that Tom Sawyers island provides to frontierland. If anything I think they should have more boats using the river like at Disneyland and more areas like toms Sawyers island in the magic kingdom. Makes the whole area seem more "alive", but that's just my personal design opinion.

Monorail_Red_77

Yes this would help with foot traffic but it would do away with the kinetics and atmosphere the riverboat provides and the depth that Tom Sawyers island provides to frontierland. If anything I think they should have more boats using the river like at Disneyland and more areas like toms Sawyers island in the magic kingdom. Makes the whole area seem more "alive", but that's just my personal design opinion.
They used to have just as many boats as Disneyland.

I don't rememeber them myself as I was too young on my early trips to WDW in Early 80's.
They had the mike fink keel boats in addition to the riverboat steamer and the tom sawyer rafts.
Here's a pic for yesterland website.

keelboats_mk1983ww.jpg

Now, granted I do not think that WDW ever had the indian canoes. But, WDW did have the swan boats that went around the hub.

0111-1001.jpg

odmichael

For everyone saying Tom Sawyer's Island should close, I got an ouija board and talked to Walt about this.

Walt says you should go to universal and to leave his parks alone.
Not saying I hate it. But its just bland and old. It's like going to the zoo except the only animals are ducks. Its nice because of the ambiance it provides. But what is also peaceful is not being congested by crowds. Just a personal opinion. No right or wrong. I haven't been to Disney since 2011. But I will say that I have been to Tom Sawyers since like 2007 because it's just not worth it.

PhotoDave219

Not saying I hate it. But its just bland and old. It's like going to the zoo except the only animals are ducks. Its nice because of the ambiance it provides. But what is also peaceful is not being congested by crowds. Just a personal opinion. No right or wrong. I haven't been to Disney since 2011. But I will say that I have been to Tom Sawyers since like 2007 because it's just not worth it.
Then I suggest you get your own Ouija board and take that up with Walt.

Although there's a distinct chance his response might be something very similar to the 1980s film Poltergeist.

Mystic

I would love to see them completely take out the track on BTM and redo the ride like the one in California. The ride is so smooth and fast and the exploding dynamite is so much better than falling rocks that don't fall anymore.

odmichael

I would love to see them completely take out the track on BTM and redo the ride like the one in California. The ride is so smooth and fast and the exploding dynamite is so much better than falling rocks that don't fall anymore.
Perhaps this is what they mean by new attractions - refurbishment :rolleyes:

Goofywilliam

They used to have just as many boats as Disneyland.

I don't rememeber them myself as I was too young on my early trips to WDW in Early 80's.
They had the mike fink keel boats in addition to the riverboat steamer and the tom sawyer rafts.
Here's a pic for yesterland website.

keelboats_mk1983ww.jpg

Now, granted I do not think that WDW ever had the indian canoes. But, WDW did have the swan boats that went around the hub.

View attachment 97188
If only they could bring them both back. For such a simple ride, the swan boats looked so nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom