Magic bands?

Homer fan

What is the latest with Magic Bands? The ones I have are from 2019 and I need one for my daughter, but there are only two options online. Do I need to buy new discs for the ones I have?

Raxel7851

What is the latest with Magic Bands? The ones I have are from 2019 and I need one for my daughter, but there are only two options online. Do I need to buy new discs for the ones I have?
The older Magic Bands are being replaced with a newer model. That’s the reason you have limited options on the original model. The new ones should be available sometime this summer. 🤞

Homer fan

The older Magic Bands are being replaced with a newer model. That’s the reason you have limited options on the original model. The new ones should be available sometime this summer. 🤞
So all new ones will be magic band+? Do you know of the battery will still work on my older bands? I thought I heard once they only last 2 years

JaxFLBear

So all new ones will be magic band+? Do you know of the battery will still work on my older bands? I thought I heard once they only last 2 years
The next generation of MagicBand will be the upcoming MagicBand+. The battery in the MagicBand+ is rechargeable.

The battery in MagicBands is only used for automatic linking of ride photos/videos and some queue elements (may display your name). Functions where you need to physically touch the MB to a reader (park entry, room entry, room charging, etc.) don't require the internal battery (they actually draw any necessary power from the touch point) and will work for virtually forever.

Homer fan

The next generation of MagicBand will be the upcoming MagicBand+. The battery in the MagicBand+ is rechargeable.

The battery in MagicBands is only used for automatic linking of ride photos/videos and some queue elements (may display your name). Functions where you need to physically touch the MB to a reader (park entry, room entry, room charging, etc.) don't require the internal battery (they actually draw any necessary power from the touch point) and will work for virtually forever.
Cool, thank you

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Cool, thank you
There's a lot of bad information in here.

No, MagicBand+ is not replacing MagicBand 2. MagicBand+ is a "premium" offering that they will sell at a higher price point alongside MagicBand 2. MagicBand 2 is not going anywhere. That's why the new one is called MagicBand+, not MagicBand 3.

The reason you're seeing limited inventory is due to the ongoing global supply chain issues. It has absolutely nothing to do with MagicBand+.

All that said, your 2019 MagicBand 2 will continue to work just fine.

Raxel7851

There's a lot of bad information in here.

No, MagicBand+ is not replacing MagicBand 2. MagicBand+ is a "premium" offering that they will sell at a higher price point alongside MagicBand 2. MagicBand 2 is not going anywhere. That's why the new one is called MagicBand+, not MagicBand 3.

The reason you're seeing limited inventory is due to the ongoing global supply chain issues. It has absolutely nothing to do with MagicBand+.

All that said, your 2019 MagicBand 2 will continue to work just fine.
Here’s the bad information. The reason you’re seeing limited MagicBand 2 selection is because TWDC wants to steer you towards the newer, more expensive model. What better way to do that, than to severely limit the selection of available options of the older models. Global supply chain issues? Yes it’s an issue, but not in this case. They’ll be plenty of the MagicBand+ models available when they’re officially rolled out.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Here’s the bad information. The reason you’re seeing limited MagicBand 2 selection is because TWDC wants to steer you towards the newer, more expensive model.
That might be a plausible argument if the newer, more expensive model were on sale. It isn't. Meaning they aren't steering anyone towards diddly squat. They're steering people towards the free MagicMobile option because there's nothing available that anyone wants to purchase.

What better way to do that, than to severely limit the selection of available options of the older models. Global supply chain issues? Yes it’s an issue, but not in this case. They’ll be plenty of the MagicBand+ models available when they’re officially rolled out.
Yeah you're totally right, Disney is thrilled that they're not raking in $50 a pop on Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Bands. And they're doing it on purpose so they can push you towards MagicBand+... which hasn't been released yet.

MagicBand+ was supposed to be released months ago. The same supply chain problems that are causing MB2 inventory issues are exactly why MB+ has been delayed for so long.

Raxel7851

That might be a plausible argument if the newer, more expensive model were on sale. It isn't. Meaning they aren't steering anyone towards diddly squat. They're steering people towards the free MagicMobile option because there's nothing available that anyone wants to purchase.

Yeah you're totally right, Disney is thrilled that they're not raking in $50 a pop on Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Bands. And they're doing it on purpose so they can push you towards MagicBand+... which hasn't been released yet.

MagicBand+ was supposed to be released months ago. The same supply chain problems that are causing MB2 inventory issues are exactly why MB+ has been delayed for so long.
I think your observation about the delay in releasing MB+ may be spot on, but of course we’ll never know for sure. I would imagine TWDC has quite a bit invested in it, both financially and regulatory, and want to start making a return on their investment as soon as possible. I’m with you on those Limited Edition 50th ones. They were just kinda Eh!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
That’s true, but if on-ride photos matter to you, I wouldn’t trust one older than a year. I’ve noticed mine seemed to have a lot more frequent “misses” after then (guessing the battery is weaker or sending a weaker signal by then). So, these days, I’ll either wear a new one or strap a new one to my key chain if I want to wear one of my older ones for touchpoint access.

MattH20

Any update on magic bands? We live in the UK and can’t order ours in advance anymore But from what I could see, there was only one magic band available on ship disney and my kids would not like it.

do they have stock at the resort or is there genuinely a complete supply problem?

JaxFLBear

Any update on magic bands? We live in the UK and can’t order ours in advance anymore But from what I could see, there was only one magic band available on ship disney and my kids would not like it.

do they have stock at the resort or is there genuinely a complete supply problem?
The selections of MagicBands available at WDW is better, but not great.

tnemgif

The selection for discounted pre-arrival bands is pretty bad. There are 5 bands available if you are ordering bands for an upcoming trip (Gaston, All Stars, Polynesian, Blue Plaid Mickey, Up). Meanwhile, shopdisney.com has a bunch available, at non-discounted rates, plus shipping. This may not be intentional, but it sure leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Stevie Amsterdam

Would anybody please be so kind to help me with the following? I pre ordered Magic bands but since I’m from the Netherlands, they wouldn’t ship so I can pick them up at the resort desk (CBR). Will they have my data on it, or do I need to ‘install’ our park tickets, creditcard etc? We arrive at MCO at 6pm and hope to see harmonious on our first night. I think it should be doable but not if the pick up of the magic band takes a whole lot of time.

Thinking of it, do you think I could ask Disney to drop the magic bands in our room prior to our arrival? If they hold at least the park tickets that would save a lot of time?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Would anybody please be so kind to help me with the following? I pre ordered Magic bands but since I’m from the Netherlands, they wouldn’t ship so I can pick them up at the resort desk (CBR). Will they have my data on it, or do I need to ‘install’ our park tickets, creditcard etc? We arrive at MCO at 6pm and hope to see harmonious on our first night. I think it should be doable but not if the pick up of the magic band takes a whole lot of time.

Thinking of it, do you think I could ask Disney to drop the magic bands in our room prior to our arrival? If they hold at least the park tickets that would save a lot of time?
Your information should be on your MagicBand.

That said, you will need to stop at the Front Desk and collect them there anyway. The CM can verify that everything is in order for you. Disney will not put your Magic Bands in your room.

Jon81uk

Your information should be on your MagicBand.

Nothing is "on" the magicband except a reference number. As long as the bands are linked in the MDE profile they just work. Your tickets are stored in your profile and any ticket card (physical or digital) or band that is linked to the profile will work.

They won't take the bands to the room you'll need to collect from the front desk and may need to do that to fully complete check-in anyway.

If you want to go straight to the park you should be able to use a digital pass from the app.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom