Magic bands or Magic bands +

JIMINYCR

Why are you asking??? Of course you need the newer version. Its the very thing you need for your trip. You dont want to stand out as being that out of touch guest whose wearing an old MB. Just imaging how much better you will feel and how much it will add to your pleasure knowing you will be seen as a guest with pizazz, style and let all who see you know this guy has what it takes to do Disney right. You are staying at a Deluxe arent you??? You are doing Genie and LL's arent you? Of course you are. Only the top Disney guests have what it takes to do it properly and THATS YOU !!!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
There are 3 things that you can currently do with Magic Band + that you cant do with a normal magic band:

1. Wave at the golden statues and if its working (and there have been lots of technical issues with some of the statues) you'll get a short audio clip played.
  2. Have it blink and buzz during fireworks.
  3. PLay the bounty hunter game in Hollywood Studios.
Thats it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
There are 3 things that you can currently do with Magic Band + that you cant do with a normal magic band:

1. Wave at the golden statues and if its working (and there have been lots of technical issues with some of the statues) you'll get a short audio clip played.
  2. Have it blink and buzz during fireworks.
  3. PLay the bounty hunter game in Hollywood Studios.
Thats it.
You forgot the most important distinction - it's rechargeable.

Raxel7851

For a single trip purchase, that really wouldn't be a concern.
I’m with you on that reason. We did buy the MB+ because we visit multiple times a year. Lately our regular MBs wouldn’t provide us our photos from the attractions that have that feature. They did work, as many others have stated, for park admission and room key. I think after a couple of times, the blinking light feature would become a big Eh! Maybe they have more features in the pipeline for the future.

esskay

Personally I'd say no - do not get a MB+, it's simply not worth it for the lackluster crummy effects and the inconvenience of needing to charge it up.

You don't really even need a magic band - it's handy as it makes entry into parks a tiny bit quicker, and it allows some rides to automatically send you a photo, but thats really all it does.

If you've got an Apple Watch that can get you into every ride, allow shop purchases, cover park entry, etc in the exact same way. If you've got a modern phone that'll also work. Failing that you'll have a plastic card you just tap, which costs nothing.

JohnD

Is there an advantage? No. Do you need one? No. Did I just order one for my November trip? Yes.

That's me for my September trip. Orange Bird was available. I ordered it. Now that I'll have one, I have no desire to collect others. MB2 is more functional for my purposes anyway (park entrance, Genie+ ride admission, resort room key, charging payments to room) and doesn't require charging (i.e. plugging in).

eliza61nyc

There you go... Disney has it down to a science on how to get more money out of you. Sell something you dont need but just have to have. ;)
Pretty much describe 90% of the trinkets sold in the park, case in point... this star wars thingy my kid "had" to have and lol he's not 12

anyhoo, op from 20210912_101732.jpg the article it might be a cool souvenir for the youngins but no its doesn't do anything extraordinary.

jonnyc

I'm a big fan of the convenience of a Magic Band, but the need to regularly charge the Magic Band Plus makes it not worth it for myself - I'll be sticking to the original (until when/if they phase them out!).

gitchard

There you go... Disney has it down to a science on how to get more money out of you. Sell something you dont need but just have to have. ;)
That is not just Disney, 90% of all business make their money off stuff you don't need.

Do you need a buy a Coke for your thirst or can you just drink water? Do you need that $250 sneaker because an athlete name is on it?

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

That being said, if you are the average park goer only there for a few days, I don't see buying it. If you want to see as much as you can, you don't have time to really enjoy doing a scavenger hunt or play bounty hunter without missing doing several other things.

I bought one because I live in the area and have an AP for over 17 years. I don't mind spending a couple of hours playing the bounty hunter game or statue scavenger hunt since I can go back any time to do everything else in the parks.

JIMINYCR

That is not just Disney, 90% of all business make their money off stuff you don't need.

Do you need a buy a Coke for your thirst or can you just drink water? Do you need that $250 sneaker because an athlete name is on it?

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

That being said, if you are the average park goer only there for a few days, I don't see buying it. If you want to see as much as you can, you don't have time to really enjoy doing a scavenger hunt or play bounty hunter without missing doing several other things.

I bought one because I live in the area and have an AP for over 17 years. I don't mind spending a couple of hours playing the bounty hunter game or statue scavenger hunt since I can go back any time to do everything else in the parks.
Never said it was distinct only to Disney. All companies advertise merch in a way to make you think you need something to get you to part with your money. Thats advertising and economics 101. Make the consumer think they cant live without it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom