Magic Band and Lost Kid

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
When I was a kid in 1986 my parents filled out paper tags for my sister and I in the event we got lost. (They are still in the packet of WDW "stuff" from that trip). Now... 2023 if my kid gets separated, will WDW scan his magic band and call me to come fetch him at the appropriate place. This kid is 12, but I am not sure I am going to allow him to take his phone into the parks at all. Seems a bit risky. :) May not let his 14 year old sister take her phone either.

Figgy1

Premium Member
When I was a kid in 1986 my parents filled out paper tags for my sister and I in the event we got lost. (They are still in the packet of WDW "stuff" from that trip). Now... 2023 if my kid gets separated, will WDW scan his magic band and call me to come fetch him at the appropriate place. This kid is 12, but I am not sure I am going to allow him to take his phone into the parks at all. Seems a bit risky. :) May not let his 14 year old sister take her phone either.
If you're worried about the phone itself, what about getting one of those $20 prepaid phones that comes with a month of service and enough calls to get you through a trip.

Weather_Lady

If your child gets lost and you are staying onsite, any cast member who scans their MagicBand can theoretically pull up your room reservation information, which should have a contact phone number (presumably yours).

We always taught our kids that if they got lost at WDW, to approach the CM (identifiable by their name tag) at the closest attraction entrance, and ask them to call us. This was in the days before MagicBands, so our numbers were written on temporary tattoos (the brand name was Safetytats) on the kids' arms. Your kids should be able to do the same with their MagicBands, if they don't already know your cell number. Better yet, go low-tech and just write the cell phone number on their MagicBand with a Sharpie, so no scan wil be needed. :)

Last edited:

Clamman73

If you just put an Airtag on someone without a phone, I take it, it still should show location with other people having iphones around?

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
If you just put an Airtag on someone without a phone, I take it, it still should show location with other people having iphones around?
I have a friend that uses airtags with kids for this purpose.

My kids aren't old enough for phones but a park will be one of the first places I'd want them to use it. Not arguing itv should be the same everyone. So what am I missing that I should maybe not want my kid to have a phone in a park?

MickeyLuv'r

Perhaps another way to think about the situation....

More phones = more back up, more ability to do things simultaniously. It is possible to go to WDW without one, but they can be handy devices.

Those are great ages for taking photos! More phones = more ability to capture fun details of your visit.

It depends how you like to tour, but suppose you plan to eat a quick serve lunch. If everyone has their own phone, then everyone can look over the menu at the same time, even before you arrive.

One time it is ESPECIALLY handy to have multiple phones is at 7am (and 1pm, and maybe 6pm). Precision timing is key to getting a BG, especially if you want a low number. We run an app called "Atomic Clock" and that has greatly improved our BG success. Just before 7am, we turn on the app and use the 5-second chime so we know exactly when it is 7am/1pm.

mousefan1972

My question is if both your kids are responsible enough to to have phones when they’re not ar WDW, why would they not take them to have in case of emergencies, such as getting separated or to stay in contact? Or as mentioned above, take a prepaid phone.
I'm still stuck on a 12 and 14 year old potentially being "lost"... If they are responsible enough to have cell phones at home then why would OP be worried about them being lost? Especially since a 14 year old can enter a park without a parent? And wouldn't they just be able to tell a CM their parent's phone number instead of having to scan a magic band? So many questions. LOL.

mdcpr

A 12 year old might might not get lost, but can lose sight of their family because they are teens. My son at 12 separated from our group at Disney Springs during Thanksgiving break--completely packed. So he was 'lost', but immediately found us by calling us.

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
I'm still stuck on a 12 and 14 year old potentially being "lost"... If they are responsible enough to have cell phones at home then why would OP be worried about them being lost? Especially since a 14 year old can enter a park without a parent? And wouldn't they just be able to tell a CM their parent's phone number instead of having to scan a magic band? So many questions. LOL.
Because I don't trust my 12 year to not lose his phone during the course of the day. I don't let him take it to school to even use at lunch. And if he gets separated at a place like WDW he will flake out. 14 year is slightly more responsible to keep up with her phone,. but its still a big place and even adults lose phones. I am not convinced the replacement cost of a phone outweighs her having a phone all day. SHE was the only that convinced all of us to use Life 360 at home. However, if I can utilize the magic band in the event my kids get separated, I will use it for that. I don't trust people... anyone. My 14 year old will under no circumstances voluntarily be in a park without us.

Hojara6975

Because I don't trust my 12 year to not lose his phone during the course of the day. I don't let him take it to school to even use at lunch. And if he gets separated at a place like WDW he will flake out. 14 year is slightly more responsible to keep up with her phone,. but its still a big place and even adults lose phones. I am not convinced the replacement cost of a phone outweighs her having a phone all day. SHE was the only that convinced all of us to use Life 360 at home. However, if I can utilize the magic band in the event my kids get separated, I will use it for that. I don't trust people... anyone. My 14 year old will under no circumstances voluntarily be in a park without us.
5thGenTexan : I wish there had been someone who was able to just answer your question. It's one I would love to know the answer to. Everyone has different thoughts, and rights, about who should and who should not have cell phones. We are going to Disney in December. My oldest granddaughter will almost br 12 and there is no way she will have her own cell phone. We believe she is too young to have one. Is there someone who can answer this persons without judgement and/or disrespecting this guests inquiry ? I sure would like to have an answer, also. If I missed someone actually answering it already, I apologize. It became so time consuming just wading through all the negative comments.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
5thGenTexan : I wish there had been someone who was able to just answer your question. It's one I would love to know the answer to. Everyone has different thoughts, and rights, about who should and who should not have cell phones. We are going to Disney in December. My oldest granddaughter will almost br 12 and there is no way she will have her own cell phone. We believe she is too young to have one. Is there someone who can answer this persons without judgement and/or disrespecting this guests inquiry ? I sure would like to have an answer, also. If I missed someone actually answering it already, I apologize. It became so time consuming just wading through all the negative comments.
You don't have to get her an iPhone 25 -- a simple $100 flip phone will give you connectivity and peace of mind without enabling the information-industrial complex to brainwash her into the whole social media dependence syndrome.

Figgy1

Premium Member
You don't have to get her an iPhone 25 -- a simple $100 flip phone will give you connectivity and peace of mind without enabling the information-industrial complex to brainwash her into the whole social media dependence syndrome.
There are prepaid flip phones that come with a month of service for less than that;)

HouCuseChickie

I know every kid and situation is different, but ours were 12 and 14 the first time they went off on their own in a Disney park and they just used their regular phones. Maybe it helped that mine had phones for a number of years before this trip and had proven that they can be trusted to not lose said phones. We already were using Life360, but it was really kind of funny using it at WDW. I could be having a drink in the UK and see that my kids are in line for Spaceship Earth. They're both iPhones, so I could also use the FindMy feature to alert them if they missed a text or call from us. I know most of the major phone makers have some kind of find my style feature, which could help put your mind at ease if losing a phone is your concern.

If you're not comfortable having them take their standard phones, you could get Tracphones. Ours started with those back in elementary school, when they started riding their bikes to and from school while we were in the office at work. We opted for smart Tracphones vs. flip because I could add the Life360 app for tracking. Amazon usually has nice deals on these that come with a decent allotment of minutes/data. It's been several years, but I think I spent about $35 and got a smart Tracphone with triple minutes.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I know every kid and situation is different, but ours were 12 and 14 the first time they went off on their own in a Disney park and they just used their regular phones. Maybe it helped that mine had phones for a number of years before this trip and had proven that they can be trusted to not lose said phones. We already were using Life360, but it was really kind of funny using it at WDW. I could be having a drink in the UK and see that my kids are in line for Spaceship Earth. They're both iPhones, so I could also use the FindMy feature to alert them if they missed a text or call from us. I know most of the major phone makers have some kind of find my style feature, which could help put your mind at ease if losing a phone is your concern.

If you're not comfortable having them take their standard phones, you could get Tracphones. Ours started with those back in elementary school, when they started riding their bikes to and from school while we were in the office at work. We opted for smart Tracphones vs. flip because I could add the Life360 app for tracking. Amazon usually has nice deals on these that come with a decent allotment of minutes/data. It's been several years, but I think I spent about $35 and got a smart Tracphone with triple minutes.
On Amazon currently a flip 19 with 90 days and basic smart 39 with 90 days, didn't notice if it was triple minutes or not

MissingDisney

Can they? Probably with some additional effort.
Will they? Probably not.
Security is all around, uniform and plain clothes. If they approach a CM they will get security to assist.
What if your kid loses the MB? It happens all the time.
I would recommend your family has a different plan in place that you’re all confident in.

MagicHappens1971

They can scan their MB and find your information, but the MagicBands "tracking capability" is not accessible to CMs.

DisneyFanatic12

They can scan their MB and find your information, but the MagicBands "tracking capability" is not accessible to CMs.
I haven’t gotten a magic band in sooo long, but can you still order ahead of time and get your name on the back? If so, you could just make the name your phone number. Super simple it would be!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom