Magic and Misery and Mourning

slappy magoo

Hey there hi there ho there WDWMagic-keteers. It's been a while. I tend to drop off the face of the earth when I don't have a trip planned, then start popping up more in the months leading up to a trip as I need more information and crave more Disney, and basically just have Disney at top-of-mind.

Anyway we got a trip planned soon and this time it's...different. Hate to admit it, but I'm just not feeling it the way I used to, for a myriad of reasons.

First of all, in February a few weeks after booking (a week in DVC Grand Floridian - in retrospect it feels like I was tempting fate), I lost my job. I'm not famous but the layoffs I was a part of made the news, and the kind of job I had is getting scarce, so I'm depressed and I'm scared and I can not concentrate on putting a trip together. And considering the last trip was 5 years ago, everything is different, from having to reserve days in parks to loss of fastpass to trying to figure out Genie+, to booking fewer restaurants due to the money crunch but also having less time to book them blah blah blah. I did get a bit of severance so we're not hurting...yet...but we're definitely trying to stretch the money we have because no matter what, whenever I get a new job, likely it's going to be a big reduction in income. I need to know how to plan but...I just can't focus on it.

But it gets better. And by better I mean worse.

A few weeks after I lost my job, my wife, "Slappette," almost lost hers. She got lucky with a lateral-ish move, new job and responsibilities but same place and income. But the change is still jarring and depressing because she feels the job she had, a job she loved, was not valued or appreciated. On top of that, to help stretch our income some more, she opted to tutor during the summer. So of course, I feel like garbage her summer plans are screwed. I know, we're a team, and I didn't give a crap when she wanted time off for the birth for each kid (she wound up taking 2 years off for the birth of "Slapperina" and "Slappetina," plus another year before "Slappetina" went into kindergarten). But I still feel like garbage.

And then my mom got sick. Well, she was sick for a while, fighting cancer off and on for years, but about a year ago she decided she didn't want any more treatments, just enjoy the time she had left. Which she did. But in Spring she started to need some in home hospice care, and end of June she let go. The grief comes in waves, along with relief she's now out of pain, along with guilt that we feel relief...anyone who ever lost someone this way probably recognizes the rollercoaster of suck.

And then there are all the little things everyone deals with in the course of your days. Occasional spats with my spouse. Kids fighting. Dog chewing furniture. But also, looking for work, but in line with what I've done. Not even getting a nibble, despite (at the risk of tooting my own horn) having been pretty good at what I've done, with a few awards under my belt. Still, nothing. And dealing with the grief. Car troubles. Kids wanting to go on adventures we might not be able to swing (Slapperina plays cello and has an opportunity to go to Austria to perform next year, we'll make it happen but it's not going to be without some sacrifices).

Oh, and it turns out last time we were there, Slapperina was a T1 diabetic, but hadn't been diagnosed yet. Which made some hard days when she felt "off" and sick but couldn't describe what she felt or why. We thought it was anxiety (which runs in the family), but it wasn't until a few months later we discovered what was going on with her. She's thriving, she's on a pump, we got DAS...AND she has an injured foot, so we had to get a scooter. She's feeling more than a little self conscious over needing so much extra TLC, she tends to compensate by trying to be a regular kid...but that usually results in her having meals and snacks that throws her blood sugar out of whack one way or the other. Slappette and I can count on one hand the nights over the past 5 years we got a full uninterrupted night's rest without either trying to give her sugar to bring her up, or plug away at insulin doses to bring her down. Or both. But we had been looking forward to the trip with a "forewarned is forearmed" attitude, we can anticipate problems with her and plan better. But then came everything else.

I'm trying to find some joy. I'm trying to enjoy the time I have with my kids. I'm trying to plan. But honestly, I'm borderline not-giving-a-crap. And I ALWAYS gave a crap. I'm trying not to think about the money we're spending because I feel like this could be the last hurrah, the last time the kids care about a disney trip. And I'm trying to get into the swing. But even writing this ,I feel guilty because I should be on linkedin, there's laundry piling up, things to do, and what good is this even doing, I'm not auditioning for Queen For a Day and even if I was it's not 1958 so I missed that window of opportunity. I mean, I booked dinner at Cali Grill because it's my wife's favorite place to eat anywhere on earth. I figured it'll be expensive but we can maybe skip appetizers and share desserts, get Slappette that goat cheese ravioli she's always jonesing for. I had no idea it changed to a prix fixe menu, and Slappette was adamant that we're not paying $400 for any single meal for the four of us. But she was adamant through tears. And she wasn't alone.

Sorry to vent. I'm sure I'll be back with questions, especially regarding Lightning Lanes and Genie + and what might or might not be accessible with the DAS pass, fully aware it does not let us cut the line but avoid having to wait physically in the line. We need this trip, but we're also kinda dreading it, you know?

JIMINYCR

In some lives... when it rains it pours. Sorry to read through all of your compounding troubles. Hope you can find a way to get a Dis trip in just to escape the hardships and give your family and you some moments of joy. There are as you know ways to do Disney cheaper so you wont be spending what you cant afford to spend. Taking a break from your troubles can really help the mind and soul. Life will be there when you return.

Upvote 0

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
So sorry to read you have been through such a bad time. We definitely understand what you mean about the grieving periods. Our dad had cancer and mum had Alzheimer’s and we also felt relief that they were pain free now but guilty about mum having to go in a care home. We also told ourselves that they knew we loved them and that mattered the most. You deserve this trip and try to forget about real life for awhile.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Sorry to hear about everything that’s been going on. Hopefully the vacation will give you a boost.

How did you book GFV? Would it be possible to change it to save some money and lessen that concern? You could also do fewer park days and explore other resorts instead.

There are lots of activities that cost relatively little or are even free - movies under the stars immediately spring to mind, things like volleyball at OKW and probably other resorts too, check out the community halls at some DVC resorts, AKL have activities, art, CM take etc and animal watching from both Jambo and Kidani. Mini golf, foot golf etc are still cheaper than a day at the parks.

Ordering in pizza or even driving offsite for dinner will be cheaper than buying it at the resort. These things can all save money yet still feel like a vacation.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

Aww @ slappy magoo, so sorry to hear about the stress in your life, I'm a spiritual gal so let me say seasons come and go. this too will pass.
layoffs are horrible both me and my late hubby unfortunately lived through them.

I do understand your reservations and feelings, the first trip back after my husband lost his battle with cancer was really hard to get excited for. let me say that while it was tough, my kids and I had a wonderful time and are really glad we went. Disney has the effect of soothing ones soul. @nickys has some great tips, scaling back and saving a bit of dough might make you enjoy it a little more without the worry of blowing your savings.

If Cali grill is your wife's favorite restaurant, go for it but maybe scale back on every thing else. make it the last night treat.
My piece of advice, don't focus on the rides. slapperina is going to use a scooter, this is the perfect time to take your time, soak in the atmospher. I gotta tell you some times going down main street listening to music and watching folks pose for their pictures is really an attitude booster.

I can only echo what @JIMINYCR and @Wicked Sisters said, real life is definitely going to be there when you get back, enjoy one day at a time, be grateful for the little things while they are happening and don't stress about the what ifs when you get home.

wishing you all the best.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Original Poster
How did you book GFV? Would it be possible to change it to save some money and lessen that concern? You could also do fewer park days and explore other resorts instead.
Thanks for the suggestions. We are dvc members, and we banked and borrowed points for this trip. So no cash out of pocket, but not enough time now to change to a different resort and rent the other unused points. We drive vs flying, and opting to drive straight thru, mostly overnight, versus an overnight. Way fewer sit down meals planned. Biggest outlay was park tickets.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestions. We are dvc members, and we banked and borrowed points for this trip. So no cash out of pocket, but not enough time now to change to a different resort and rent the other unused points. We drive vs flying, and opting to drive straight thru, mostly overnight, versus an overnight. Way fewer sit down meals planned. Biggest outlay was park tickets.
That’s great! I really hope this trip can lift you spirits. And good luck with the job search.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Sorry to hear about all your problems.

We, too, have a trip coming up in September and lots of things have plagued us and made us rethink our trip but we decided yesterday to still go.

My adult daughter had emergency surgery about six weeks ago and is on medical leave. She will go back to work one week before our scheduled vacation. My adult grandson was very, very, sick and admitted to ICU two weeks ago with diabetes. Way bad - blood sugar 810 and A1C 14. He is out of the hospital now an on insulin and learning to eat like a diabetec, because he IS! He is weak and also on medical leave but planning on going back to work week after next.

We are thinking about DAS but I do not know very much about it. We are getting a scooter because I have a weak ankle (from a severe break) and both my grandson and I can use it at times.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but just saw it and I can relate.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

Sorry you've gone through a lot. I can empathize with you because I've gone through some similar problems that you have been through. It's too bad you're not here because I could probably have given you an opportunity in health care. Take care, best wishes!

Upvote 0

yensid1967

First off, so sorry for your lose. Both my parents have been gone since 1999 and 2008 and I still have OFF days for them! But I will say it does get better so you can move on;) It sound clique but its true!
Slapperina will make it to Austria and you will not grip about that sacrifice as much! Your children's happiness is more important than our own! That's what parents do!
But on to your trip, I am sorry about your job, thankfully your wife still has hers, but its not the way you thought things would be! Just take time for yourself and your family, they are the most important people in your life! My advice on your Disney trip is to SHRINK your trip to something that is more affordable and manageable and able to happen! I always ask what is the most important things to happen? Maybe stay off site at a Good Neighbor hotel instead of a resort hotel, just save money wherever you can to make a Disney trip happen! You might not stay where you want or do what you wanted, but at least you are at Walt Disney World!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom