Maelstrom

RSD

Original Poster
I went on Maelstrom for the first time on my last visit to Disney.
I can throughly say I enjoyed this little hidden gem in Epcot Showcase. I really didn't know it was there, so it was great to see this type of ride in Showcase.

However, there was one thing I was disspointed in with this ride. Why do they have you sit through a movie of Norway's history after the actual ride? We waited for 35 minutes for the ride. Got on the ride which is about 4 minutes long. After that we waited another 20 minutes to enter the theatre, and then another 20 minute (approx) of the movie. I thought Disney only put movies in the line-ups prior to loading to build anticipation, and to make the line up seem to move faster. The ride was the climax, it should have ended there. Is there is reason they didnt put this in pre-load? Perhaps I am very ignorant and I am missing something very obvious with the movie. Thats because I used the movie time to get some shut-eye. Time that I could have used to get to see the American Adventure, but instead missed the last show because of 40 minutes of movie waiting and viewing. Playing the devil's advocate I guess I could have walked on through the theatre and out the doors before they closed. But I felt that would have been bad etiquette, and I didnt want to be the only person doing it. Since I was one of the last into the theatre I would of had to walk by everyone who was already seated.

As a result, even though I loved the actual ride, I will not be going on Maelstrom again.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
you can usually get away with walking right through and exiting.. that's what I do anyway

General Grizz

The film is 4:57. Meaning, a total of ten minutes max of waiting/viewing the film. Not forty.

The film was neat, I saw it a few times. But, yes, we usually skip on out like MKT said. :)

The film is after the attraction because the attraction displays history and myth. The film is more centered on modern-day Norway and the fact that regular humans live there. . . not trolls. Wouldn't want to leave on a lie, now would we? :D

Then again, the last thing we see is the giant troll in the gift shop. :lookaroun

Mmm...pastries!

Chernabog

On another note I'm pretty sure that the country's government is the one who helps to design the ride and has the final say. For example, I believe that I recall hearing that Germany was supposed to have a similar ride like Norways but didn't want to front the funding for it when it came time which is why the restuarant is so huge and well themed. I may be wrong about all this though. Also, don't feel bad skipping the movie I would say that about 70% of people do it. I usually do too, although it's not really a bad movie to watch.

DisneyFan 2000

I saw the movie my first time there, the second time I skipped it! But the attraction is great! Don't stop going to the attraction just because of the BORING film! I wish there were more of those at World Showcase!

Maybe a water raft ride in Germany?

Now back to the topic!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
RSD, don't consider just never riding Maelstrom ever again. I do just like Grizz and mkt do, just walk right through the exit. It's not like it's a crime or anything. I think the movie is somewhat boring too, that's why i've seen it oh maybe 5 times.:D

Creekboy25

They should just put a direct exit to the gift shop for those who would like to bypass the movie all together or seperate the movie and the ride into individual attractions,

But i guess that would be sorta bad as many people would not watch the movie at all and it would be an empty theater.

Just a thought.

disneydata

Yes, each country in the WS is in the planning process. They help sponsor it, make plans and designs, and build it. Spain is currently in negotiations to be the next country and that's what they're trying to work out!

Just bypass the movie. I watched it about twice (once on the first ride when they MADE you watch it in the yesteryears and once again a few years ago just to do it). It's pretty neat, but it would get boring if you watch it too much - like the Living Seas movie! :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore:

Nick

mkepcotmgmak

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
I saw the movie my first time there, the second time I skipped it! But the attraction is great! Don't stop going to the attraction just because of the BORING film! I wish there were more of those at World Showcase!

Maybe a water raft ride in Germany?

Now back to the topic!

i thought that test track was germany's ride/attraction (autobahn sp?):rolleyes:

egilhagen

Well.... what can i say.. i jused to work there.... ok its true.. im norwegian. BUT....

The film is about to change. Disney has just signed a bit contract with a company here in norway.. for a new movie. Its generally going to be about Bergen. When "spirit of norway" (current movie) generally is situated in oslo. They are going to tone down the Viking stuff, and show a little more of the big Fjords and mountains. (that is what norway is famous for)

Conserning the ride... the imageneers made it together with officials from norway. And both parties wanted a ride that was a little different. Thats why it goes backwards AND has the movie at the end. They succeded on the ride, but failed on the movie. It wasnt the best way to do it. Thats why you NEVER will see that setup again in any ride in Disney parks.

The Norway pavillion wav suppose to be Scandinavia, but the Sweeds and the Danish didnt want to pay for it. Norway did. That is why, on the merch cart outside the Viking ship between Mex and Nor, you will find flags and cups with all the flags.....

Germany spent alot of money on the restaurant, and didnt want to fund the ride..... its all planned... but they dont want to pay.... im not sure if Disney is waiting for the contract with the german gov to run out..... or if they are going to build it at all... basiclly its "Rio del tiempo" in german.

Egil
Internatinal program
2001 - 2002
Norway Pavillion.

BeachClubVillas

Every time I've ridden the Malestrom, the majority of the people walk right through the theater and skip the movie. You actually have to bypass the crowd to stay in the theater. The movie's not that bad though. It just feels like it takes forever to get out of the ride. You get out of the boat, you have to wait for the movie. You get out of the movie, you have ot go through the gift shop. And is it me, or is that the most crowded gift shop in all of WDW???

wdwfan22

Originally posted by egilhagen
Well.... what can i say.. i jused to work there.... ok its true.. im norwegian. BUT....

The film is about to change. Disney has just signed a bit contract with a company here in norway.. for a new movie. Its generally going to be about Bergen. When "spirit of norway" (current movie) generally is situated in oslo. They are going to tone down the Viking stuff, and show a little more of the big Fjords and mountains. (that is what norway is famous for)

Conserning the ride... the imageneers made it together with officials from norway. And both parties wanted a ride that was a little different. Thats why it goes backwards AND has the movie at the end. They succeded on the ride, but failed on the movie. It wasnt the best way to do it. Thats why you NEVER will see that setup again in any ride in Disney parks.

The Norway pavillion wav suppose to be Scandinavia, but the Sweeds and the Danish didnt want to pay for it. Norway did. That is why, on the merch cart outside the Viking ship between Mex and Nor, you will find flags and cups with all the flags.....

Germany spent alot of money on the restaurant, and didnt want to fund the ride..... its all planned... but they dont want to pay.... im not sure if Disney is waiting for the contract with the german gov to run out..... or if they are going to build it at all... basiclly its "Rio del tiempo" in german.

Egil
Internatinal program
2001 - 2002
Norway Pavillion.

Thanks for the info, and Welcome to the boards :sohappy:

tigsmom

We stayed for the film the first time, but usually skip it now...(unless it really hot & we're tired. :animwink: )

BwanaBob

Warning...thread drift!

Now that it's been brought up!.....

I am absolutely SICK and TIRED of Disney "refurbishing" every successful attraction's end/exit queue through a lousy GIFT SHOP!!!

Lets name them, shall we?????

1) Maelstrom - break through the ropes at fastpass? If not, they've blocked all the doors in the gift shops!

2) Space Mountain - the arcade/shop

3) Splash Mountain - just HAVE to get that photo, huh?

4) Buzz - another photo-op

5) Pooh - jeez-oh-pete!

6) Pirates - (one of the origionals!)

7) A.E. - (R.I.P.) soon to be Stitch - (Oh, boy!)

8) M:S - Did you really think they would spend THAT much for an attraction without some way to re-cover expenses?

9) Test Track - Anyone have an extra $25,000 for a GM vehicle?

10) Imagination - I've just GOT to have my picture in a glass block!

11) Tower of Terror - "Trinkets of Terror"

12) RnRc - Residuals for Aerosmith?

13) Backstage Tour - ABC/MPAA stuff?

Who did I miss?

...and did you notice there's not much in AK? Interesting!

MouseMadness

Bob, what exactly leaves you so bothered by this? I really don't see why they're so awful... personally, if disney can make more money (to build more attractions, naturally ;) ) then it's okay with me. Are they just too "cheap" looking for you? Or you don't like having merchandising in your face all the time? Just wondering. :)

BwanaBob

Hey Mouse!...

It's not the theory behind it I'm against...(I'm in the biz...I completely understand! Maybe thats why I'm sick of it!)

But on average, how congested is it in some of those exit queues?

Smart? Sure, I'll give 'em that.

But I have to blindfold my kids when we get off PoC and RUN through the shop like a pro-linebacker with a kid tucked under the forearm just to stay sane!

SHEESH!!!

Remember when they weren't there? (Splash? Buzz?)

Enjoy the attraction for what it is. If I want a piece of it, I'll pick it up at the Emporium on the way out!:lol:

MouseMadness

Originally posted by BwanaBob
Hey Mouse!...

It's not the theory behind it I'm against...(I'm in the biz...I completely understand! Maybe thats why I'm sick of it!)

But on average, how congested is it in some of those exit queues?

Smart? Sure, I'll give 'em that.

But I have to blindfold my kids when we get off PoC and RUN through the shop like a pro-linebacker with a kid tucked under the forearm just to stay sane!

SHEESH!!!

:lol: :lol:

Remember when they weren't there? (Splash? Buzz?)

Well, I don't, which is probably why I'm not as bothered by it as lots of people are. :) My first trip was in March of '97 and we've gone 5 times since that one, with our 7th trip coming up in a few weeks. :) I'll pay more attention on our way out of the rides. ;)

BwanaBob

Yeah!:)

If Disney changed it structurally, you won't see the difference. (Buzz)

But, next time on Splash, stop right in front of the entrance to the gift-shop, and look to your right...(the old passway! Blocked off of course):brick:

wild01ride

I'll never forget the best line that a Jungle Cruise Captain used at the end of the "cruise":

"Now, as we round the bend, we'll be returning to the dock, to civilization and since this is the Magic Kingdom- probably a gift shop!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom