Maelstrom Mural

pumpkin7

A little off topic, but since we're talking about murals...
If you could have one in your house, which one would you pick? I have a nice, big, free wall and was thinking of putting something Disneyfied, but subtly Disney.

brightlined

For anyone looking for the final answer on this:

I spoke to a (knowledgeable) CM this past week. The Maelstrom mural couldn't be saved. (I can't say for sure, but it sounded like it was printed on vinyl and attached to the wall.) As such, they spent several days taking hi-resolution scans of both the main mural and the map on the opposite side of the queue, and submitted them to the Archives.

aladdin2007

For anyone looking for the final answer on this:

I spoke to a (knowledgeable) CM this past week. The Maelstrom mural couldn't be saved. (I can't say for sure, but it sounded like it was printed on vinyl and attached to the wall.) As such, they spent several days taking hi-resolution scans of both the main mural and the map on the opposite side of the queue, and submitted them to the Archives.

someone feel free to correct me but I believe the original mural was painted on the wall, and it is true it was not saved. I haven't heard anything about being printed on vinyl and attached.... But I don't believe that was the case. As for the Map on the opposite wall, I was told that was saved in full along with the attractions sign out front.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I'd imagine it was removed and relocated like "The Prologue and the Promise" from Horizons
hmural.jpg

The Empress Lilly

I never really thought of it as a great work of art, is it?
That would depend a good deal on one's understanding of what constitutes art. ;)

It's Disney, therefore by definition nearly universally frowned upon by the art world. It would be judged less harshly if it had hung in a more traditional space, where one would expect such a mural, such as a small city town hall or a regional educational facility.

To me, the Maelstrom mural is okay-ish. Not the best EPCOT mural by a long shot, but still nice. It's a bit lacking in technical refinement, and not redeemed by any outstanding stylistic qualities, but not unevocative. But still, by theme park standards, it is good. A commendable attempt on a vast scale to portray some of the mainstays of Norway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom