Madame Leotas Ring

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, seeing as the original wasn't even a ring at all - just a leftover post - it can be anything really. The original rumor though was that the post remnant was the Bride's ring. Since it's all made-up anyway, it's kinda moot but that is what the urban legend said nonetheless.
Exactly. Personally I think that we need to start a new, incredibly convoluted, urban legend about the ring. My only desire is the the Illuminati and Atlantis somehow be involved.:D

GeekDad

I read some where that you should ask one of the CMs at HM about Madame Leota's ring but I've also heard that it's like fight club and you are not supposed to talk about it :confused:

Tip Top Club

According to an Imagineer in the queue when it was play testing it is Leota's Ring. (Although I am the first to admit that anyone anywhere can be wrong)

MagicMike

Exactly. Personally I think that we need to start a new, incredibly convoluted, urban legend about the ring.

I heard there is actually a cast member buried under the cement in that very spot.

While working the Haunted Mansion queue she accidentally dropped her engagement ring into the freshly poured cement of the area undergoing expansion. While trying to retrieve it, she slipped and fell into the open area awaiting brick work knocking her unconscious. No one noticed her absence and the newly added family busts were put in place over where she lay, sealing her under. Once the events that led to her demise were discovered it was far too late, because the budget was completely used up on that awesome squirting Captain's Tomb and her body could not be recovered. Some say her spirit still haunts that ring and all who seek it out.

rsoxguy

^
Now you're just being silly. The fact is that there really was a Madame Leota. Her husband was a cement worker. The ring in question was actually stolen from a pawn shop in Daytona. She choked on a piece of cheesecake, and her ring fell off while she was administering the Heimlich maneuver on herself. It was embedded in the cement, and the workers left it there out of spite because her husband was a tyrannical foreman. Now stop with the silly, false stories.

powlessfamily4

Madame Leota is the name of the original WED artist, who’s head was used to test the crystal ball on the Gypsy Medium in Disneylands Haunted Mansion séance room. Most people view it as just a great addition to the ride. However, a few of us know of a great tragedy that sprang from the original attraction. You should be forewarned that this may change how you view this attraction forever.
The rumor is that there were two hippies in the mid 70’s named Cynamon and Kool who got high, blew all their money on e-tickets and spent the day at DL riding the HM over and over. They would make out in the dark during the ride and spent the day planning their future. Both high as a kite and in a fit of giggles, decided if they ever had a daughter they would name her Madamee Leota.
Later that night, in the DL parking lot in a 1974 pinto with fogged windows and a squeaky suspension system, Madame Leota was conceived. (The Pinto had been a gift to Cynamon from her parents upon entering her first year at Scripps College for Women, where she was to study the art of jello molds and deviled eggs.).
Cynamon was excited about her ferile discovery but Kool was angry. Kool left the next morning for Mexico. Cynamon informed her parents, Edgar and Mable Loud of her condition. In a fit of disgrace, Cynamon was warned never to see Kool again and was sent to Florida to a home for unwed mothers. There she was to give birth and place the baby for adoption. An old gypsy midwife named Bronwyn ran the place and took joy in frightening the young women with tales of evil spirits and repercussions for giving away their babies.
Cynamon wiled away her days dreaming of Kool, pot and the days in the sun at Disneyland. She would also ponder the future of her child. Angry at being separated from her lover and ordered to Florida, a malicious plan began to form. Cynamon met with a representative from a private adoption agency to draw up the paperwork for the soon to take place adoption. In one last attempt to gain a small measure of control over the situation she demanded that it be entered into the adoption contract that the baby be named Madame Leota. The adoption agency was aghast and phoned her parents in protest. However, because Cynamon was 18 there was nothing they could do, the stipulation was accepted and the contract signed.
Cynamon gave birth on a stormy summer night at the home for unwed mothers. It was a difficult delivery and old Bronwyn who delivered all of the babies at the home, soon realized Cynamon was in trouble. Writhing in pain she begged for something to ease her agony. The midwife tipped a glass of clear liquid to her lips with promises of the agony ending. Cynamon begged for a sip. The old midwife refused unless Cynamon agreed to let her place the baby with parents of her choice. Cynamon desperate for relief agreed. The liquid was cool and bitter on her tongue. The pain eased almost immediately and Cynamon floated into dream land. As the baby made its way into the world Cynamon breathed her last breath sighing the name Kool.
The baby was small, blue and did not cry. The midwife peered down into the face of the infant and saw two bright eyes staring back at her. Amazed that the child was alive she bundled the baby into a blanket and raced into the night. She knew this child was different. She suspected she had the gift of the gypsies.
Bronwyn arrived on the doorstep of her sister, Myrtle, an eccentric crepe eating Medium who’s womb was barren. Myrtle had always longed for a child of her own. Bronwyn thrust the child into Myrtles hands declaring the infant the gift of sight. The sister was all too happy to be gifted this child she had always longed for. Myrtle agreed to the name and signed the papers. Madame Leota had a home.
Madame Leota was an awkward child. She suffered from many medical aliments and had a bad bout of untreated scoliosis. She grew bitter from the treatment of others. She never quite fit in with the rest of the kids in the gypsy neighborhood she called home. She kept to herself and attempted to learn the way of the gypsies from her Myrtle. It was soon obvious she did not possess the gift passed down generation by generation from the gypsies, after all she was adopted. Her skin was too pale and her talents lie in the way of writing.
As Myrtle aged she grew frantic as to what would happen to Madame Leota after she died. It was obvious she would need a way to earn her way in life and sadly the way of the gypsies was not for her. Encouraged by her mother, Madame Leota worked hard to write unusual stories and developed a talent for telling them. She secured a job at the local library telling stories to children. Donning her gypsy gear, she would entertain children and adults with her tales from the far side. Her Mother died and she was alone.
Soon after the death of Myrtle, the old librarian retired. The county hired a man by the name of Mortimer Williams to take on the duties. Mortimer had great plans to expand the library and encouraged Leota to become more involved. He praised her abilities and recruited her to assist him with many different projects. Not use to having anyone pay attention to her, let alone a fine looking man like Mortimer, Leota quickly became smitten. On occasion, he would hold her hand and say complimentary things to her. The handholding led to chaste kisses. The chaste kisses led to passionate kisses. The passionate kisses led to much more and Leota fell helplessly in love. She knew Mortimer did not return the feelings, as he was always careful to tell her they were not serious and just having fun. However, a girl can dream and wish.
One day Mortimer invited Leota to Magic Kingdom. Leota was stunned. In her mind, it was a date and Mortimer must be developing feelings for her! Leota had never been to Magic Kingdom so her excitement was enormous. She awoke early and took great care in attempting to look her best. Today she would be on the arm of Mortimer at the most magical place on earth. Mortimer picked her up on time and off they raced to Disney. As they entered the park, Mortimer pulled her to the side and again thanked her for joining him. He then explained that Magic Kingdom was his fiancée Gracie’s favorite place to be. She was waiting for them in Liberty Square and he wanted to insure Leota knew not to breathe about their intimate moments to her. Leota was stunned. She felt betrayed and angry. Numb, she nodded in agreement and obediently followed Mortimer through the park.
As she laid eyes on Gracie she immediately hated her. She was everything Leota was not. Her back was straight, her hair was perfect and Mortimer looked at her like a sick puppy. Seeing Gracie, Mortimer hugged her and spun in a circle. “Look my Gracie,” he proclaimed, as promised I have brought you Madame Leota. Gracie squealed with laughter. Oh my Gawd! Your name is Leota!!! She threw back her head and shrieked with laughter. Leota looked on in dismay as peal after peal of laughter swirled around her. Unable to stand another moment she ran.
Leota headed in the direction of the Haunted Mansion. Ignoring the construction signs, she scrambled over a fence and up an embankment. Here she found herself stumbling into a roped off area of the Haunted Mansion. She could hear Mortimer calling in her name as he laughingly chased after her. He was telling her not to be a baby and to come out. Leota climbed down the embankment just side stepping a large hole. In her anger, she picked up a shovel that was lying next to a portion of an old pipe that had been dug out of the ground. As Mortimer and Gracie laughingly climbed down the embankment, she was waiting for them. She struck Gracie in the side of the head with the shovel. Gracie instantly crumpled and fell into the hole. Mortimer was horrified as he stood side by side with Leota peering into the hole. It was plain to see Gracie was dead.
Mortimer yelled in rage and pain. His beloved was gone! Leveling his eyes on the person responsible, he shoved Leota headfirst into a concrete embankment. As she fell, her head struck a tombstone snapping her neck.
Mortimer realized there were now two dead women and he was responsible for the death of one. Panicked, he rolled Leotas body into the hole with his beloved Gracie. He quickly shoveled the pile of dirt into the hole covering the bodies. He left the scene of the crimes haunted by the memory of his beloved’s death. He wandered along the coast for several days knowing he would be accused of both deaths. Emotionally drained and physically numb he headed for the coast. The morning the story broke of the missing women, it was noted their only common link was Mortimer. Despondent and seeing no way out, he walked into the ocean never to be seen again. The bodies of the women were never recovered.
Shortly after the deaths, an engagement ring appeared in recently poured cement in the queue line of the haunted mansion. The cement had set. Thinking it was a prop placed in the end of queue as part of the storyline, it was never removed. Speculation has also run rampant about the face of Madame Leota. Has it changed?? Why does the head sometimes float and other times it doesn’t? Many hardcore Disney fans have noticed a subtle change in the spirits at the Haunted Mansion since these deaths. It is said with only room for one more spirit one Leota was allowed in and the spirit was locked into the tombstone that took Leotas life. It should be noted that the tombstone should read DEAR SWEET LEOTA - BELOVED BY ALL - IN REGIONS BEYOND NOW, HAVING A BALL. However, on nights when the fog is heavy and the park is closed, CMs have reported it changes to AKWARD LEOTA, NOT LOVED AT ALL, BASHED IN GRACIES HEAD, AND THEN TOOK A FALL.
Astute fans will notice that on days when the spirit world seems particularly active, The head of Madame Leota does not float and there is a sadness that can be seen in her eyes and the scent of cinnamon in the mansion. Muwahahahahahahahahaha.

Weather_Lady

I don't know the backstory, but I happen to adore little details like the ring, as though it was left there just for me to find. I almost consider it mine... my own... my prrrrrrrecious.

EpcotFanForever

The "ring story" was about the bride who supposedly tossed her wedding ring out the window of the mansion. It had nothing to do with Madame Leota at all. BTW - Madame Leota was named after Leota Toombs, the Disney artist whose voice and face are used in the seance room (and on little Leota at the exit).

Now even our urban legends have urban legends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom