Lunch with an Imagineer rumors answered

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
On 9/27 I did the "Lunch with an Imagineer" program at MGM and it was by far the BEST experience of my whole vactaion. We had the opportunity to ask him questions about happenings around The World and here's what I could get out of him (I also posted some of these in my TR). Also, keep in mind, they are 'breifed' on what they can talk about and what they can't so here goes:

- Haunted Mansion is going to get refreshed (there are quite a few effects not working right now) and he wouldn't confirm 100% if the Attic scene is going to be modeled after Disneylands but I bet it will be.
- Space Mountain - will eventually be re-done like Disneyland's: darker, new track, etc.
- Beastlie Kingdom - will more-than-likely appear at AK in SOME form and is NOT going to be a 5th gate
- 5th Gate - There is no talk about it at the moment, their focus is updating/upgraing the current 4 parks and once they have the capacity needs for a 5th gate, it'll be discussed. Also they're researching on average how many days a family stays at the parks, if there is really a need for a 5th gate to do the length of people's vacations.
- Monorail Expansion - Not in the works, too expensive considering they're trying to improve all 4 parks at the moment. BUT...they are looking at re-vamping the whole Disney transportation system to make it more environmentally friendly.

...that's all I can remember at this point (I should've taken notes!!) so gossip away!! :wave:

Animaniac93-98

Thats great news about the Haunted Mansion. I could really tell it needed a refurbishment when I was last in the world. I'll take the Beastly Kingdom stuff with a grain of salt.

DME

I like the sound of this. There are certainly greener forms of transport than they are currently using, especially as pertains to the busses.

I agree..I'd love them to do away with diesel buses. Would'nt it be cool if the Tomorrowland Transit Authority took over control of the transportation system of WDW?

PhilharMagician

Thanks for posting your info.

Did he give you info on a time frame for BK or Space?

What about the Jungle Cruise? Did you ask him if there is a rehab in the future to coincide with the movie?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I agree..I'd love them to do away with diesel buses. Would'nt it be cool if the Tomorrowland Transit Authority took over control of the transportation system of WDW?

I'll third that. I wonder if some fuel cell busses could be in the works. They should be getting to a point that wouldn't be too cost prohibitive.

Exciting no matter what the plan.

Jheyman

On 9/27 I did the "Lunch with an Imagineer" program at MGM and it was by far the BEST experience of my whole vactaion. We had the opportunity to ask him questions about happenings around The World and here's what I could get out of him (I also posted some of these in my TR). Also, keep in mind, they are 'breifed' on what they can talk about and what they can't so here goes:

- Beastlie Kingdom - will more-than-likely appear at AK in SOME form and is NOT going to be a 5th gate

Doesn't this contradict everything we have heard from reliable sources on these boards? Anyone know anthing about a change? As much as I would love to belive this I have to say SALT!:hammer:

Epcot82Guy

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the report. I will be interested to see if/when these happen. I feel that since this was a Disney-sanctioned event, most of these things must be fairly close to "official"-dom to have it shared to the general public. While some details are up for debate, I think each of these sounds like a good thing (especially adding some form of mythical creatures land to DAK).

Epcot82Guy

Doesn't this contradict everything we have heard from reliable sources on these boards? Anyone know anthing about a change? As much as I would love to belive this I have to say SALT!:hammer:

Sorry for the double post. But, where I think this one differs is that it sounds more like the concept of a Beastly Kingdomme. I think the original project is likely dead. However, the DAK logo still has a dragon, and it only makes sense to round out the park with this land. Now, this may look nothing like the concept art that existed. But, I think it only akes sense to use this concept in some general way.

Tim G

- Haunted Mansion is going to get refreshed (there are quite a few effects not working right now) and he wouldn't confirm 100% if the Attic scene is going to be modeled after Disneylands but I bet it will be.
- Space Mountain - will eventually be re-done like Disneyland's: darker, new track, etc.
- 5th Gate - There is no talk about it at the moment, their focus is updating/upgraing the current 4 parks and once they have the capacity needs for a 5th gate, it'll be discussed. Also they're researching on average how many days a family stays at the parks, if there is really a need for a 5th gate to do the length of people's vacations.
- Monorail Expansion - Not in the works, too expensive considering they're trying to improve all 4 parks at the moment. BUT...they are looking at re-vamping the whole Disney transportation system to make it more environmentally friendly.

...that's all I can remember at this point (I should've taken notes!!) so gossip away!! :wave:
Great Story... especially coming from an imagineer... not true.... but really a great story...

And you fell for it... :D :D :D

JLW11Hi

Great Story... especially coming from an imagineer... not true.... but really a great story...

And you fell for it... :D :D :D

really? Everything he mentioned sounded pretty reasonable.

No 5th gate, no monorail expansion,

a Haunted Mansion referb at some point

and a mythical creature land addition to AK at some point.

The only thing that doesn't sound very necessary to me is the Space Mountain thing. Its got to be one of the most popular attractions in the park, and I think there must be a ton of other things that money could be put into at MK before a Space Mountain re-do.

And I don't know why it sounds so unbelieavable to people that a Beastly Kingdom land will be added to AK...probably not in the immediate future, seeing as they just spent so much money on Everest, but there's no reason why this plan still wouldn't be in the works at some point. Everyone seems to think its a great idea, and Imagineering knows it.

Tim G

Imagineers are not allowed to disclose real things...

But as they know what the most popular rumors are, they'll tell a story, YOU want to hear... LOL

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
:eek: :( I'm kinda disappointed in the advertising of Lunch with an Imagineer. It leads you to believe that you would be privy to sound choice inside info.

But...nooooooooooooo :D

Maybe it should be renamed Lunch with a Storyteller. :lol:
(I was going to say liar, but that would sound really bad)

cloudboy

Tell us a little more about the whole thing - how many people were there? And were most of them somewhat familliar with Imagineering or was a lot of it "what does an imagineer do?" and "Are all imagineers show designers?". And how much of a chance did you get to ask questions.

I am hoping to do this in a few weeks, but I really do not want to spend the money on it just to have yet another feeble attempt to drag out upcoming rides from them. I am interested in hearing a lot more about what it is really like to work as an iomagineer - both the good and the bad. I don't want a rehash of one of the standard books out there.

What kind of role did he have - management or more engineering or desiger or more admin?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom