Lunch Advice

Lindsbenning

Original Poster
This is only our second time at Disney, and our first time staying on Disney property. We did not get a dining plan and are considering going back to the resort everyday for lunch/nap (kids are 7 and 3).
Would this be too much of a waste of time? I have no idea how long it takes to get to the parks from the resort.

PAW PAW 70

If your resort has a food court take kids back, eat, relax maybe take a swim. The food courts have a much better selection for the kids and costs less than the parks. You only have a 1/2 hour trip to your resort and back to any park. Next time get dining plan (try and schedule when DP is free) great savings.

SAV

If you are taking a bus, then you may get lucky and one will be there for you and then it will just be the time it takes for you to drive to the resort and then to your stop(at least 10 minutes). Odds are, you will have to wait for a bus, though. Sometimes up to 20 minutes. Then another 10+ to get back to the resort. Then the same for the reverse trip, so you are at possibly and hour of transportation time...maybe more, maybe less. It all depends on where you are staying and what stop at that resort you are getting on/off the bus.

Then factor in the time that you will spend getting from wherever you are in the park, out to the stop and the reverse when you get there and that may be another chunk of time.

We never went back to the resort and our kids slept in their strollers if they needed a nap. I'm at Disney for the parks, not to swim.

HollyAD

I have never had a problem with buses during the day. Never more than 10 min or so and you won't have to worry about crowding! I suggest coming back to the room mid day. I have been taking my son since he was 1(now 5). It makes the trip much more tolerable and I usually hit the market at the food court for food for him. It also depends on where you are staying. The resorts with multiple sources of transportation are even better.

Weather_Lady

We always head back to our resort, too. (We have an early in-park lunch, around 11:30am, and then go back until at least 4pm.) We budget an hour each way, but more often it's closer to 35 minutes to wait for the bus and get to the resort. The "travel time" is well worth the break. We all get a nap and possibly some pool time, and are refreshed and ready for our evening. Not only that, but all we're "missing" in the parks during that period is the hottest, most crowded and stressful time of day.

DizneyPryncess

Afternoon naps at the resort are a must for us with DD. It honestly helps us all recharge. We put her down for a nap, and then one of us brings lunch back to the room. When she wakes up, she eats and we head back to the park. The wait times will be depending on where you're staying, and which park you're going to. We always drive, so it never takes us very long to get to whichever park we're going to.

dadddio

We don't take a resort break in the afternoon. Instead, we make sure to have a sit down meal in the afternoon. We also plan for cool-off breaks. Water-play areas and Dumbo's tent are pretty awesome for this. Finally, we are realistic about how late in the parks we can expect to stay.

Gomer

Mid-day breaks have been a godsend for me. I admit to being initially hesitant to give up that time, but after doing it for the last 10 years since I had kids, I might even keep taking the breaks once my kids are grown.

I usually eat lunch at the park and then head back at 12:30 or so and aim to be back in the parks by 4. The time we miss, will be the most crowded and highest waits of the day, and both parents and kids are refreshed. The few times I have gone without a break, the kids get very cranky by dinner time and we usually end up leaving early and sacrificing the cooler, more relaxing night time touring which is far more productive and fun than the stressful midafternoon hours.

As for the busses, the mid-day bus ride is one of my happiest times in WDW. The busses are usually quick, and you’ll often be alone. My kids love having the bus to themselves. A relaxing ride back to the hotel after the hectic hustle of a theme park is a nice way to exhale and keep your sanity.

The way I see it, you are giving up quantity for quality. You may not spend as much time in the parks, but the time you do spend there will be more enjoyable.

Last edited:
We did breaks last time as per the advice of some websites and we really thought it helped in the heat of the summer and with keeping everyone rested and happy. Our kids were 3-5-8. We are going again this summer and they are 8-10-13 and we will do it again.
We just got back from 3 days at Hershey and realized that we cant go full force from 7:30 am to 10 at night without rest.
One website gave the advice that a Disney trip is a marathon, not a sprint (I am sure some of you know which one) and you should pace yourself. It worked at Disney the first time. No melt downs, no spousal arguments, no unhappiness. Its our plan this time
Also, if you go in the summer, that much time in the sun is just too much. The 1-5 (sometimes shorter) break is needed.

StarWarsGirl

That depends on where you are staying. Honestly, I wouldn't, but that's personal preference, and sometimes, especially midday, the buses can run slowly. We like staying at the pool in the morning and just relaxing and then heading to the parks, especially since the pool and food court can get crowded in the afternoon.

Tinkerfan4ever

When my kids were younger we did the same thing, back around lunch to rest, relax, swim and then back to the parks later in the day. This allowed us to stay till park closing on many occasions.

The one park we didn't do this at was Animal Kingdom. Since this park closes early... we would stay all day and then head back to the room around supper time. We would do pool time then and get an early night. Just telling you this as you don't want to plan on going back to the hotel and back to AK later as it may close as early as 5pm.

Have a fun trip!

righttrack

Lunch out at the parks and then heading back to the resort for a little r&r and pool time is a good way to go. I suggest running the parks from open as fast as you can, and then fastpassing the afternoon park visit to get the most attractions in. Wait times get worse as the day wears on, so that is where fastpass plus becomes a great option. Hit the mornings hard and take the evenings slower since you'll have the ride reservations you want.

DiSnEyF@n

Mid-day breaks have been a godsend for me. I admit to being initially hesitant to give up that time, but after doing it for the last 10 years since I had kids, I might even keep taking the breaks once my kids are grown.

I usually eat lunch at the park and then head back at 12:30 or so and aim to be back in the parks by 4. The time we miss, will be the most crowded and highest waits of the day, and both parents and kids are refreshed. The few times I have gone without a break, the kids get very cranky by dinner time and we usually end up leaving early and sacrificing the cooler, more relaxing night time touring which is far more productive and fun than the stressful midafternoon hours.

As for the busses, the mid-day bus ride is one of my happiest times in WDW. The busses are usually quick, and you’ll often be alone. My kids love having the bus to themselves. A relaxing ride back to the hotel after the hectic hustle of a theme park is a nice way to exhale and keep your sanity.

The way I see it, you are giving up quantity for quality. You may not spend as much time in the parks, but the time you do spend there will be more enjoyable.

I couldn't agree more!!! What a great way to put it :)

buseegal

granted grandson was a toddler when happened but bus ride put him to sleep and by time we got to resort about 15 minutes, he was so crabby because he woke back up and would not go back to sleep. it was the worse day of whole 8 day trip. he finally fell back asleep during dinner without eating hen had to buy him something later where he would have been free at the sitdown, so yes going back can backfire on you

MaryJaneP

Definitely depends on the ages of the kids. Under say 11-13, mid day break with resort lunch, pools, maybe even a nap, is highly recommended for our and the children's sanity. Everyone suffered if we tried to do park non-stop when they were young. Not a magical time for anyone.

Dwarful

You could try it one way on day one of your trip. Say you try the nap option....if you are staying somewhere with a food court I also recommend having lunch at the resort. Gives you a chance to sit down, relax and eat. Then short walk to your room for quiet break or nap. If that works for you then go for it the rest of the trip. If you or someone in your group gets to anxious worried about 'what you are missing out on'....then stay in the parks.

We have done it both ways. It really depends on the park and the length of the trip. The hint about AK is a great one.

LWB

Definitely take a break for a nap! The happier (better-rested) the kids are, the longer they can stay and the more PLEASANT they are while they are there!!! We took naps after lunch every day when mine were younger. We pushed through w/o naps on our last trip and it got really tough!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom