Luggage recommendations

mdcpr

I know, a silly ask, but while planning my trip I realized I need a new set of luggage. What do you like?

Shouldigo12

Checked or carry on? Although I don't have a baby, I found diaper bags (the newer ones designed like backpacks) can be pretty nice. A lot of room, plenty of nooks and crannies, but not so huge I'm getting death glares from everyone around me. I got mine from a company (I think) is called Petunia Pickle Bottom.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I have a Delsey Helium Fusion Light (no longer made, but there are several similar versions by Delsey currently on the market, e.g., the Paris model) 21" soft-sided carryon that I take on every trip. I don't recall what the MSRP was, but I think I paid about $50 for it on clearance, and it's held up better than any other bag I've owned. It holds all of my clothes, underthings, footwear and toiletries for trips from 3-8 days and generally weighs just under 20 lbs., fully packed. I could have bought a matching boarding bag with it, but I prefer my Baggallini Kindred tote, which has a padded tablet pocket AND an incredibly-handy luggage sleeve, so I can slide it down over my suitcase handle and take it through the airport hands-free.

Things I like about my suitcase (and would like in any other):
1 - The size (21"x14"x8") fits in the overhead on every plane/airline we fly. I prefer not to ever check luggage, so this is important for me (although it may not be for you). It also expands a couple of inches with a particular zipper, but I never use this feature as it would make the bag too big and heavy to carry on, AND makes it prone to tipping. Otherwise, when unexpanded, the bag balances well when sitting on its wheels, and is fairly lightweight.
2 - It's a rollaboard with 2 wheels, not a spinner. Although I may be sacrificing some freedom of movement with it, the fact that the wheels are built-in gives me an extra 2-3" of usable packing space. The handle also telescopes to two different lengths, so my much-taller DH and I can each use our own "setting" if we're the one rolling it.
3 - It has multiple interior and exterior pockets and straps, as well as a clasp for hangers (in case I'm traveling with pre-hung items). While I do most of my packing in packing cubes which I can arrange, Tetris-style, in my bag, there are always a few little things that cry out for a pocket.
4 - The exterior handles are thick, padded fabric, and are physically built-in to the exterior of the suitcase (not adhered to it, as many are, with metal clasps that can tear right through).
5 - It's soft-sided, which is handy because it compresses as necessary if space is tight down the airplane aisle, or in the overhead bin. If I was someone who checked baggage and needed something that could be tossed around by others, I'd recommend a hard-sided bag. However, since mine stays with me, soft-sided is the way to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Buy your luggage as individual pieces rather than full sets. The full sets never really give you exactly what you want or need.

I also recommend never buying the largest size they make. I find it absolutely impossible to keep them under 50 pounds, otherwise I end up checking them half empty and everything inside gets trashed.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Others have alluded to the "Airline Gorillas". GOOD advice - WDW will not destroy your luggage: the "Airline Gorillas" will :).

Without naming any brand? There are a couple of things to look for....

1) CHECKED luggage. Make it bullet proof... BUT? Also try to find something with a front surface "tie point", OFF the handles, for your ME tags. The "Airline Gorillas" will destroy your ME tags on grab points with GREAT efficiency. We had to modify our bags, to create this. If you can't get this, or create it? Please use Clear STRAPPING tape on each ME tag to re-enforce it against tear off. You will get this right when you have to CUT the ME tags off.

2) CARRY ON - resist that "wheeled stuff". Half of it won't fit in an overhead bin, NONE of it can be jammed under "the seat in front of you".
Go soft side & minimal. Consider decent day packs for this....

3) Consider GOOD ID straps with name & phone number on the checked bags, for WHEN the "Airline Gorillas" loose a bag. I would show you ours.... but then I would be publishing Name, address, and Phone - so I can't.

4) Checked luggage: try to find something that will allow you to insert a CONTACT SHEET, on the OUTSIDE. We place TWO of these in our checked bags - one OUTSIDE, one INSIDE (right on top). These have our Names, Home Address, Flight Data, Dates, and a scanned COPY of our ME tags.

5) Whatever you get - take a PICTURE of it, PRINT this, and CARRY it. Should a bag get lost in transit? Your Hotel Bell Captain will really WANT this, as well as your Airline Bag Check Numbers. The WDW Bell Captains, in our experience, have been wonderfully RUTHLESS in finding "lost bags", as long as they have something to work with :).

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Others have alluded to the "Airline Gorillas". GOOD advice - WDW will not destroy your luggage: the "Airline Gorillas" will :).

Without naming any brand? There are a couple of things to look for....

1) CHECKED luggage. Make it bullet proof... BUT? Also try to find something with a front surface "tie point", OFF the handles, for your ME tags. The "Airline Gorillas" will destroy your ME tags on grab points with GREAT efficiency. We had to modify our bags, to create this. If you can't get this, or create it? Please use Clear STRAPPING tape on each ME tag to re-enforce it against tear off. You will get this right when you have to CUT the ME tags off.

2) CARRY ON - resist that "wheeled stuff". Half of it won't fit in an overhead bin, NONE of it can be jammed under "the seat in front of you".
Go soft side & minimal. Consider decent day packs for this....

3) Consider GOOD ID straps with name & phone number on the checked bags, for WHEN the "Airline Gorillas" loose a bag. I would show you ours.... but then I would be publishing Name, address, and Phone - so I can't.

4) Checked luggage: try to find something that will allow you to insert a CONTACT SHEET, on the OUTSIDE. We place TWO of these in our checked bags - one OUTSIDE, one INSIDE (right on top). These have our Names, Home Address, Flight Data, Dates, and a scanned COPY of our ME tags.

5) Whatever you get - take a PICTURE of it, PRINT this, and CARRY it. Should a bag get lost in transit? Your Hotel Bell Captain will really WANT this, as well as your Airline Bag Check Numbers. The WDW Bell Captains, in our experience, have been wonderfully RUTHLESS in finding "lost bags", as long as they have something to work with :).
They’re referring to this old commercial from the 70s:

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

For checked baggage I would recommend hard side, it just hold up to the airplane better, plus there is room behind the zippered liner so on the way home I put the dirty clothes there to separate them from the clean ones (I do laundry the other 51 weeks of the year not doing it on vacation). For carry on, I do like the diaper bag option, it has room for everything and will fit under the seat in front of you (i detest the overhead bins as people just blindly throw there huge suitcases up there and usually end up breaking or damaging someone's stuff).

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Buy your luggage as individual pieces rather than full sets. The full sets never really give you exactly what you want or need.

I also recommend never buying the largest size they make. I find it absolutely impossible to keep them under 50 pounds, otherwise I end up checking them half empty and everything inside gets trashed.

Plus if you fly internationally you may have problems with them.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I have a Delsey Helium Fusion Light (no longer made, but there are several similar versions by Delsey currently on the market, e.g., the Paris model) 21" soft-sided carryon that I take on every trip. I don't recall what the MSRP was, but I think I paid about $50 for it on clearance, and it's held up better than any other bag I've owned. It holds all of my clothes, underthings, footwear and toiletries for trips from 3-8 days and generally weighs just under 20 lbs., fully packed. I could have bought a matching boarding bag with it, but I prefer my Baggallini Kindred tote, which has a padded tablet pocket AND an incredibly-handy luggage sleeve, so I can slide it down over my suitcase handle and take it through the airport hands-free.

Things I like about my suitcase (and would like in any other):
1 - The size (21"x14"x8") fits in the overhead on every plane/airline we fly. I prefer not to ever check luggage, so this is important for me (although it may not be for you). It also expands a couple of inches with a particular zipper, but I never use this feature as it would make the bag too big and heavy to carry on, AND makes it prone to tipping. Otherwise, when unexpanded, the bag balances well when sitting on its wheels, and is fairly lightweight.

It will not fit into the overhead in Delta One if you're sitting in the center seats - which I do when traveling overseas with my husband. I was surprised at how little room was in the overhead! It can be put elsewhere, but then you don't easy access to it. Which is fine if it's your only suitcase, with a smaller additional carry-on.

I found a strong lightweight fabric carry-on that has a bottom zippered pocket the full width of the "tote." I'll be packing my extra clothes (in case my luggage is delayed) paperwork, etc in it, - basically anything that I won't need until I reach my destination - with toiletries, sweater, in the top compartment. I'll keep my kindle, passport, etc in my purse. That, along with my jacket and shoes, will fit on the footrest.

The carry-on is squishable, so it can fit under a seat in coach. Which, if you put your purse in it, would allow you to have a 21" carry-on in the overhead.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Weve been happy with Samsonite or American Tourister. Weve had issues with damage from airline baggage handling on multiple trips and its gotten worse over the years. With their rough handling of bags & poor stuffing into baggage holds as quickly as possible, its no concern of theirs about how they come out. We have never had any issues with WDW bell services/ bag check personnel.

Upvote 0

mmnw

It will not fit into the overhead in Delta One if you're sitting in the center seats - which I do when traveling overseas with my husband. I was surprised at how little room was in the overhead! It can be put elsewhere, but then you don't easy access to it. Which is fine if it's your only suitcase, with a smaller additional carry-on.

I found a strong lightweight fabric carry-on that has a bottom zippered pocket the full width of the "tote." I'll be packing my extra clothes (in case my luggage is delayed) paperwork, etc in it, - basically anything that I won't need until I reach my destination - with toiletries, sweater, in the top compartment. I'll keep my kindle, passport, etc in my purse. That, along with my jacket and shoes, will fit on the footrest.

The carry-on is squishable, so it can fit under a seat in coach. Which, if you put your purse in it, would allow you to have a 21" carry-on in the overhead.
Care to share a link for this carry on? Sounds great.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Care to share a link for this carry on? Sounds great.

It is a LeSportsac, which is designed primarily for women. I looked at the website, but do not see any bags with the bottom zippered compartment. :( I purchased mine on sale - it was the only one in the store.

Upvote 0

mmnw

I keep forgetting to check them out when I need a new purse or bag. I think my first purse was a LeSportsac. 😉. I have heard other people say they have other bags with that a similar compartment. Some use it for their shoes. Thanks!

Upvote 0

KCheatle

What I have learned over the years:

1-buy one with 4 wheels on the bottom that rotate 360 degrees
2-buy something easy to recognize at baggage claim (or, simultaneously buy something to put on it to make it easier to recognize)
3- DO NOT BUY the hardside luggage for 2 reasons: 1-many are not able to be squished into the overhead compartment, and you end up having to check them, 2-it is annoying to have to open the entire suitcase like a book to get anything out instead of just opening the top like a trunk.
4-buy one with a built in plastic pouch to put what I call "explodables" (i.e., all the shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. I take from the Disney resorts while I'm there that always seem to explode on my way home) so it doesn't get all over your other stuff.
5-buy one with an expandable zipper. You can get a ton of extra space by just letting the zipper out, and it is still squishable so you can get it into the overhead compartment.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom