Low Hanging Fruit

Vinnie Mac

People often discuss ideas for new E-ticket rides that should come to the parks or IP that would make for an exciting new land, but what about the small, little changes that would make a big difference? What low-hanging fruit is Disney ignoring in favor of spending millions on blockbuster E-tickets?

My proposal for small, relatively cheap enhancements Disney could do that would make a BIG difference to park-goers:
  • New game sequences added to Toy Story Mania (something that was discussed when the ride was first built)
  • Show original SOARIN in some of the current ride theatres to give guests a choice
  • Add a playground attraction to DHS similar to Dumbo area in MK, Boneyard in AK, or play area in Mission Space
What low hanging fruit park enhancements would you recommend for Disney Parks that would not cost a lot but would add up to a big difference?
Live dance show at Disney Springs with past and current music. Lots of lights, lasers, and pyro. I imagine this would be 13 million dollars at the most

doctornick

Oh yeah, how about using drones in a nighttime show? The did it Disney Springs, why not use that tech to differentiate one of the parks’ shows?

Pepper's Ghost

People often discuss ideas for new E-ticket rides that should come to the parks or IP that would make for an exciting new land, but what about the small, little changes that would make a big difference? What low-hanging fruit is Disney ignoring in favor of spending millions on blockbuster E-tickets?

My proposal for small, relatively cheap enhancements Disney could do that would make a BIG difference to park-goers:
  • New game sequences added to Toy Story Mania (something that was discussed when the ride was first built)
  • Show original SOARIN in some of the current ride theatres to give guests a choice
  • Add a playground attraction to DHS similar to Dumbo area in MK, Boneyard in AK, or play area in Mission Space
What low hanging fruit park enhancements would you recommend for Disney Parks that would not cost a lot but would add up to a big difference?

I love this idea. I think for Soarin, they could make it that every other day features the old and new sequence.

They have 3 “theaters” for Soarin’…Cali goes in one and they can keep the world in the other 2…secondly, take a walk around the parks AND resorts and REPLACE SOME LIGHTBULBS
Just a comment about Soarin... first, I completely agree that they need to offer SoC in 2 theaters. If they showed the two different versions at the same time in different theaters, I think they'd realize how many people pass on SatW in favor of SoC. It'd give them direct tangible data, and hopefully convince them to scrap SatW. It's just inferior in comparison.

Fox&Hound

Original Poster
Just a comment about Soarin... first, I completely agree that they need to offer SoC in 2 theaters. If they showed the two different versions at the same time in different theaters, I think they'd realize how many people pass on SatW in favor of SoC. It'd give them direct tangible data, and hopefully convince them to scrap SatW. It's just inferior in comparison.
Agree 100%

kalel8145

What about turn it into a thrill ride. Soarin Through a Hurricane. 😉

NelleBelle

Really wish they would retheme Kali to Jungle Book at DAK. And bring back LATE hours at the parks, not just for deluxe guest or uncharge events. I'm fine with the "parties" around the holidays (halloween/christmas) but to make up for the shorter park hours, keep the others open later.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
In regards to Soarin', they should offer a special day or weekend specifically to show SoC.

Marketing would be easy with social media. They could offer a few merchandise items such as t shirts with "Soarin' weekend", popcorn bucket and add a few food and beverage carts with California based food and drinks.

Seems like a no-brainer in terms of driving revenue and attendance. I guess the question is, how difficult would it be to reprogram the gliders?

Smiley/OCD

Completely disagree that Soarin should add the California version. Over the World should stay in Epcot, right next to World Showcase. However, in DCA they should only have Soarin over California. I do however agree that Soarin should have updated scenes. I always hoped they would do a scene from each country in WS.
While I agree that the world version SHOULD contain the countries in WS, I don’t understand why SOC should be in California…I’m going to take an uneducated guess that many (not all) guests haven’t been to DLR and Orlando may be their only trip to see the mouse…people in California can travel to the sights in their state much easier than any other guest. Soarin’ over Florida in WDW? It kinda doesn’t make much sense which is why they didn’t do it. One theater with SOC and the other 2 makes more sense…but since when has the powers that be ever listened to guests…

Sbk1234

The only "low hanging fruit" that really comes to mind to me is put in a lot more live entertainment. Every land should have live musicians playing. Not large shows to fill a stadium, but just the equivalent of a street musician playing music that's appropriate to the land. A fiddler in Frontierland, some type of futuristic synthesizer in Tomorrowland, Colonial period music in Liberty Square, that type of thing. I saw a little of it when I was just there, such as a guy playing a Sitar in Animal Kingdom, but they can do so much more. It helps just bring the whole place alive and keeps more people out of lines at the same time.

Greg in TN

Many of these ideas are really good--would be a lot of fun. But all, even the lowest of the low-hanging, still require additional expenditures. And when so many people continue to go, and spend money hand-over-fist, despite the current condition of entertainment, attractions, the parks themselves, etc., the only reason Disney would attempt to do any of those things would be if they really cared about the overall guest experience. And right now, I don't see that, at all.

I'm afraid the only "guest experience" Disney cares about is how many times they can get each guest to open his or her wallet, or tap their (no-longer-included-in-the-price) MagicBand.

Smiley/OCD

The only "low hanging fruit" that really comes to mind to me is put in a lot more live entertainment. Every land should have live musicians playing. Not large shows to fill a stadium, but just the equivalent of a street musician playing music that's appropriate to the land. A fiddler in Frontierland, some type of futuristic synthesizer in Tomorrowland, Colonial period music in Liberty Square, that type of thing. I saw a little of it when I was just there, such as a guy playing a Sitar in Animal Kingdom, but they can do so much more. It helps just bring the whole place alive and keeps more people out of lines at the same time.
Yes! When we were there in November, there was a group of about 5 men performing on the roof of CBJ…more things like that…no DJ’s on top of the train station and themed music in TL (other than the dance party next to SM and something’s other than Sonny Eclipse) lol

Smiley/OCD

I think one of the problems might be union dues for the musicians and the mouse’s aversion to paying it if they don’t have to.

Weather_Lady

Have a few more characters and droids out in Batuu. Just to up the atmosphere. Have more bounty hunters walking around as if it was a place where people are coming to hide and being chased.
I agree! I'd also love it if they had a couple of random themed public transportation-type vehicles the people could actually ride around the exterior portions of the land, like a Star Wars version of the Main St., U.S.A. trolley. Even if all they could fit was a couple of Mos Espa-inspired rickshaws, it would add welcome movement and theming. Obviously, the ideal thing would be the Bantha ride that was supposedly part of the original concept, but I suppose that "fruit" is hanging too high!

JohnD

SatW: Great in concept. Poor in execution. Hate to say it but giving people a choice would make the queue worse. Everyone gets in line for SoC. Maybe the way to do it is have both in all three wings (A, B, and C). I believe there are multiple theatres in wing. As you approach them, a CM asks you which you want and puts you in the holding line for it. But not even sure that would work.

Smiley/OCD

SatW: Great in concept. Poor in execution. Hate to say it but giving people a choice would make the queue worse. Everyone gets in line for SoC. Maybe the way to do it is have both in all three wings (A, B, and C). I believe there are multiple theatres in wing. As you approach them, a CM asks you which you want and puts you in the holding line for it. But not even sure that would work.
That would work if it was signed properly

Pepper's Ghost

That's exactly my point. Lines for SoC in two theaters would be very long, and the line for SatW would probably be a fraction of SoC. As Disney comes to realize how unpopular SatW is, hopefully they'll scrap it and just return it to SoC in all theaters. But it's a win-win-win. Those of us who dearly miss SoC would get to experience it again, since it's FAR SUPERIOR. I personally would prefer to wait an extra 30+ mins for the better film. Those who still like SatW or like shorter lines would get to experience that. And Disney wins because they admitted that a recent "upgrade" was anything but, and they're listening to their customers. I'd have a ton of respect for them if they did that.
That would work if it was signed properly
Exactly.

To another response that they feel SatW should stay in Epcot, and SoC should be in California... I understand your logic since EPCOT is about the world, yada, yada. I would agree if SatW didn't s&ck so bad. Unfortunately it's awful, so I'd rather have the superior film in EPCOT... you know, the one that gives people chills and almost always ends in applause and cheering. Who wants to see an inferior film just because it fits the theme? Poor execution makes the attraction inferior to what it once was.

That said, I have to say that this is just the popular opinion, that SatW is inferior in every way to SoC. That doesn't mean some of us won't also like it, or even prefer it. I'm not trying to change opinions if someone prefers SatW. Just staying my own opinion, and the one that seems to prevail on these boards. Of course not everyone will agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom