Love Bugs...are they out yet?

MissM

How long do these bugs hang around? I will be in the Orlando area in 10 days...just wondering if it's gonna get worse...do they bite?
They're usually around for the months of May and September.

They do NOT bite. They don't do anything really except get in the way and cover the front of your car with nasty dead bug guts which need to be washed off quickly else the guts will turn rock hard and eat your paint.

But they're harmless to humans. Just annoying.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

Upvote 0

cdunbar

They're usually around for the months of May and September.

They do NOT bite. They don't do anything really except get in the way and cover the front of your car with nasty dead bug guts which need to be washed off quickly else the guts will turn rock hard and eat your paint.

But they're harmless to humans. Just annoying.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug
Exactly, however be careful when walking around as then tend to fly about kind of crazy and flying in your mouth is common...:lol:

Ok they are all over the place now. I should not have said anything. hahahahaha
O! So you're the reason I can't see out of my windshield now!:fork::animwink:

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I've also heard they can stain your clothes if you get them squished on your clothing! I use to check benches before I sat down... just in case!

Don't know if this is true or not!?! :shrug:

Upvote 0

cdunbar

I've also heard they can stain your clothes if you get them squished on your clothing! I use to check benches before I sat down... just in case!

Don't know if this is true or not!?! :shrug:
That's not one I've ever heard, and I've lived with them all my life. Now if you leave them on your vehicle for too long the acid in them will start to eat away at your paint job, but I've never heard of the staining thing...:shrug:

Upvote 0

007mickey

Original Poster
I knew they would be coming, right before my trip. I went ahead and started putting on the clear adhesive guard. It's the one thing I found that the guts won't eat through, plus they don't get all over the front of the car. Man I hate the love bugs.

Upvote 0

SOLISIMO

We got back yesterday from WDW. I spent 2hrs washing the front asap bc the acid will kill your clearcoat. Today I spent another 3 hrs washing the car to make sure and the smell sucks to lol... I never saw it this bad

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

We had some issues with them around the POFQ pool 2 weeks ago. I didn't remember them being a problem last year. It wasn't awful, it was just a little irritating.

Upvote 0

wdwwdeagle

so, I checked out the posted links, and one article linked in this thread says they last a few weeks (wiki). The other one says a week (fla. today).....

So...Fla. residents.... if they are swarming/peaking/horrid/alarming today, what will they be like a week from now (when I arrive)? Still swarming? Somewhat better? or Gone? I hope for option 3!

Upvote 0

cdunbar

so, I checked out the posted links, and one article linked in this thread says they last a few weeks (wiki). The other one says a week (fla. today).....

So...Fla. residents.... if they are swarming/peaking/horrid/alarming today, what will they be like a week from now (when I arrive)? Still swarming? Somewhat better? or Gone? I hope for option 3!
There is one week a year where they are very terrible. They still are around for a whole month but like I said not as bad.

Upvote 0

StingraySam

What a difference a few weeks can make. They are absolutely out and in great numbers, like black snow in the Fort Pierce northern St. Lucie County area. Oddly enough though 20 miles south in Martin County relatively very few. Don't think it will be long before they will have invaded the entire state with thier bi-annual mating ritual.

Upvote 0

cdunbar

What a difference a few weeks can make. They are absolutely out and in great numbers, like black snow in the Fort Pierce northern St. Lucie County area. Oddly enough though 20 miles south in Martin County relatively very few. Don't think it will be long before they will have invaded the entire state with thier bi-annual mating ritual.
Thankfully, we only have to wash our cars daily twice a year....:lol:

Upvote 0

StingraySam

Of course there is always at least one "Love Bug" at Disney!

picture.php

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom