Lots of cool stuff in here! I like the resort and park photos the most.

stratman50th

Original Poster
I've been looking through these threads and am pretty impressed with a lot of what I see.
So how do you go about your photography? What equipment do you use? How long have you been into photography?
I've had a few trips where I was in it just for the opportunity to shoot. I walked around my resort and tried to do it justice as art. I've done the same thing in the parks. Honestly I got bored so I took my camera gear and went to a park not intending to get on a ride or any activity other than taking pictures.
I started with an old Canon TX. When that broke for the last time I went with an AE-1, which I still have but haven't used in too long. Even though I've used a DSLR for 14 years or so I still shoot as if I'm using film. I try and set up the shot and settings as if I have no idea how it will look until later (but yes, I peek). I used to shoot raw a lot more but lately have switched to .jpg. I do very little, to no post processing. I have, but try to stay away from it. What is you favorite subject matter to shoot? Do you have a picture of your gear? I'd love to see it.

fractal

Hi @stratman50th ! Glad to see a few new faces posting on the Photo of the Day threads!

When my children were babies back in the 90's I used a Canon Rebel but slowly over time found myself leaving it home because I didn't want to carry it around.

While planning for a Disney Trip in 2011 I found WDWMagic and was impressed and inspired by several of the photographers posting here. I decided to get into photography but wanted something easier to carry around. I stumbled onto Sony mirroless cameras and purchased the first inter-changeable mirrorless camera that came out with - the NEX-3 (along with the NEX-5). I fell in love with it and with photography. I then bought a NEX-7 for my 2013 trip and for my trip in 2017 I had my current camera - Sony A7r2. Here's a pic on it with a 35mm 1.2 lens I've since sold.

i-L7qXW7X-X2.jpg

Right now I'm primary shooting with a 24mm 1.4, 55mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 (all Sony FE) and I also have a Laowa 15mm f/2 but haven't used it as much as I wanted too. I also have a nice collection of old manually focused lenses.

I enjoy shooting landscape and people and I've shoot literally 10's of thousands of pics for sporting events for my children and dance for my youngest. Over the next week I'll shoot 3 senior portraits of friend's children. It is a hobby for me but I've ended up making enough $ to pay for a chunk of my gear.

Looking forward to more photos from you!

Chris

Last edited:

stratman50th

Original Poster
I've heard a lot of good things about Sonys. I have an entire hard drive full of dance pictures myself.
I'm a fan of shooting architecture as art, but have spent a lot of time on landscapes. Did a lot of walking around Gettysburg and Valley Forge. Very cool places with a lot of history.
My cameras have always been Canons. Not because I think they're "the best" or anything. Basically because I've always had them. When you start upgrading do you do glass or a new body? Most go with the system you already have I guess. Looking forward to posting more in here. I have a lot of film to scan from the last 30 years so those might be coming up soon.

eliza61nyc

LOL, hi guys. I'm the newbie of the bunch. I know nothing. My wonderful kids gifted me with a Nikon D5600 kit for mothers day last year. lol I think it was an evil ploy to give me a hobby so I'll stop poking around in their lives. anyhoo it worked.

I'm not at home so no picture. I enjoy the thread mainly because it gives me ideas.

So I have a question, what do you guys take when you travel? I have 3 lens and I just went to Greece for holiday and didn't want to lug a lot of gear.

stratman50th

Original Poster
LOL, hi guys. I'm the newbie of the bunch. I know nothing. My wonderful kids gifted me with a Nikon D5600 kit for mothers day last year. lol I think it was an evil ploy to give me a hobby so I'll stop poking around in their lives. anyhoo it worked.

I'm not at home so no picture. I enjoy the thread mainly because it gives me ideas.

So I have a question, what do you guys take when you travel? I have 3 lens and I just went to Greece for holiday and didn't want to lug a lot of gear.
When you say "travel" I assume you mean really travel, like your Greece trip. I'd say in the travel department you're the pro and I'm the newbie. We travel in our "condo" with wheels. I have all the space in the world so I have everything. Both sling bags, tripod, monopod, all of it. What I take to the field, park, location depends on what I think is there and what I want to shoot. I admit to normally taking along too much junk but I've seen the "perfect" shot and didn't have enough lens to pull it in. Also, why am I there? Your trip to me sounded like a vacation that you wanted to document. What I call "I was there" pictures. In that case, I'd say probably your body and kit lens would be enough. If you're going for "art" you'd need more in your bag and again, we're starting to add weight and bulk again. We went to Key West in June and I took nothing. If I had an underwater camera that was a small point and shoot, or maybe a Gopro I would have taken them. But I don't. It was ok, we were in the moment and enjoyed the activities for a change. My wife had (she dropped it last trip) a little point and shoot that took great pictures, so for the I was there pictures you could leave the big rig at home. If it sounds like I really didn't give any advice you're probably right. I offered options to help you decide. It's good enough though that you're getting into it! Lots of fun..

drizgirl

I would approach a trip to Greece much differently than I would approach a trip to Disney. I take a decent amount of gear to Disney, but take different things to the park each day. I can't say I'd be happy going to Greece without a DSLR though, so I'd strip down to a bare bones kit of some sort. The body and maybe 2 or 3 lenses.

When you say "kit", is that just the body and starter lens? At the very least I'd want a faster lens of some sort. Plus something with just a bit more reach.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I would approach a trip to Disney much differently than I would approach a trip to Disney. I take a decent amount of gear to Disney, but take different things to the park each day. I can't say I'd be happy going to Greece without a DSLR though, so I'd strip down to a bare bones kit of some sort. The body and maybe 2 or 3 lenses.

When you say "kit", is that just the body and starter lens? At the very least I'd want a faster lens of some sort. Plus something with just a bit more reach.
yes. I got two starter lens. an 18-140mm lens and a zoom lens 18-300 mm

Keppyslinger

So I used to be an illustrator. I did work on rule-books and supplements for Role-playing games. This was something I loved doing but it never really paid the bills, and so the real world pushed me away from my hobby. Life stepped in and I didn’t even have time to draw for fun. Then a friend suggested I take up photography. I started out doing photo manipulation and found it filled my creative needs. Eventually that fell aside and other subjects have become more common. I have since found some time to illustrate but Photography has really filled my creative needs. I shoot Canons in part because my friend who introduced me to photography shoots cannon and we share lenses. I usually go on my walks with a canon 24-70 mm 2.8 lens and it brings me great joy. I have a couple others in my pack though depending on what I am doing that day. I am on Flickr just look up Keppyslinger and you will find a wide range of things. Well met everyone.
Oh and here is one of my all time favorites.
602155AF-B48F-49B2-8FD0-2E66332BACE7.jpeg

stratman50th

Original Poster
So I used to be an illustrator. I did work on rule-books and supplements for Role-playing games. This was something I loved doing but it never really paid the bills, and so the real world pushed me away from my hobby. Life stepped in and I didn’t even have time to draw for fun. Then a friend suggested I take up photography. I started out doing photo manipulation and found it filled my creative needs. Eventually that fell aside and other subjects have become more common. I have since found some time to illustrate but Photography has really filled my creative needs. I shoot Canons in part because my friend who introduced me to photography shoots cannon and we share lenses. I usually go on my walks with a canon 24-70 mm 2.8 lens and it brings me great joy. I have a couple others in my pack though depending on what I am doing that day. I am on Flickr just look up Keppyslinger and you will find a wide range of things. Well met everyone.
Oh and here is one of my all time favorites.
View attachment 415944
Very nice!
And thanks for responding.

C&D

I use a Canon Powershot (so not DSLR) with a 50X zoom. I can't match (or even get too close) to the big-boys here but I've had my moments. A lot can be said for content/layout of the picture rather than just super sharp under difficult conditions photos. I do take my hat off to the great photo that are simply not within the realm of my equipment. And I say thanks to all that share their 'shots' with all of us (here).

stratman50th

Original Poster
I use a Canon Powershot (so not DSLR) with a 50X zoom. I can't match (or even get too close) to the big-boys here but I've had my moments. A lot can be said for content/layout of the picture rather than just super sharp under difficult conditions photos. I do take my hat off to the great photo that are simply not within the realm of my equipment. And I say thanks to all that share their 'shots' with all of us (here).
Shoot what you see. If it pleases you that's good enough. If others enjoy it too, icing on the cake!

ralof1

I use a Nikon D5600, It is the most budget one from here, and I can't really match you, but it is nonetheless a very good budget camera. It is an older model from 2016, with a camera with a resolution of 24.0 MP and a APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm) sensor. The nicest thing about it is that it is very lightweight, about 400 grams and it very easy to take with me and capture anything beautiful I encounter, a more detailed review you can find here https://cameravs.com/Nikon-D5600 . I love taking pictures of the city, animals and local places, especially coffee shops. What are your favorite places to take photos of?

stratman50th

Original Poster
I'm a fan of architecture. But anything that catches my eye. I've done battlefields, and I like transportation. I'm not very good at people-porttaits. Need to practice that. Thanks for posting!

mousekedoc

Premium Member
You all are inspiring! I do so enjoy looking at the art you all post in photo of the day.I have always liked photography but never had any camera of value. Any shots I’ve done in the parks has been with an iPhone, and I’ve been frustrated at how dull or blurred they are in comparison.
so this Christmas I’m getting a starter camera. From what you all have posted here, I think I’ll go with a Sony a6000. Are there any other suggestions?

stratman50th

Original Poster
You all are inspiring! I do so enjoy looking at the art you all post in photo of the day.I have always liked photography but never had any camera of value. Any shots I’ve done in the parks has been with an iPhone, and I’ve been frustrated at how dull or blurred they are in comparison.
so this Christmas I’m getting a starter camera. From what you all have posted here, I think I’ll go with a Sony a6000. Are there any other suggestions?
Sony makes good gear. You also can't go wrong with a Canon or Nikon. All my gear is Canon but that's mainly because that's what I started with. Photography is one of those things that you start out with entry level and build and build until your rig gets so big and cumbersome you look for a small camera again! LOL! That being said, and the others can lend their own slant on things but I believe that when you are at popular places like Disney there are the "I was there" pictures you take for memories, and the I like to call "artsy fartsy" pictures. I do both. Normally I don't post the I was there stuff because it's more for me and the family. The art stuff you take what you like. How you want to see something. You shoot for you and if others like and enjoy, well that's a bonus. It's all in the eye and that's practice.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
Sony makes good gear. You also can't go wrong with a Canon or Nikon. All my gear is Canon but that's mainly because that's what I started with. Photography is one of those things that you start out with entry level and build and build until your rig gets so big and cumbersome you look for a small camera again! LOL! That being said, and the others can lend their own slant on things but I believe that when you are at popular places like Disney there are the "I was there" pictures you take for memories, and the I like to call "artsy fartsy" pictures. I do both. Normally I don't post the I was there stuff because it's more for me and the family. The art stuff you take what you like. How you want to see something. You shoot for you and if others like and enjoy, well that's a bonus. It's all in the eye and that's practice.
Thank you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom