Losing weight to go to Disney

disneyflush

Quick backstory:

I'm a DH and lost about 80lbs almost 10 years ago now after high school. Gained about 3/4 of it back over the years. We welcomed our 2nd DD last year and as she's grown I've become increasingly aware of how much I want to see her and DD2 grow up without myself keeling over from a heart attack or something weight related that I could have prevented. After talking to DW last night about my desire to do it, we came up with a plan. If I can lose 40lbs before Christmas of this year (approx. 13 weeks) and keep it off for at least 6 months then we will do a Christmas trip next year in December, just the 2 of us. We had decided after visiting POFQ this April that we would wait 5 years before our next trip (we usually go every 2 years) and though it pained me, I did agree we should go to a few other places before heading back. Blasphemy :animwink:!

Honestly though, there's really no place I'd rather be so its a win-win situation for my family and I. I've always dreamed of seeing WDW at Christmas time and unlike arbitrary goals of losing 5 lbs in a week, 15 lbs in a month, etc., this is something that I want to do so very much now.

So in 2 days I'll be starting a 13 week diet and exercise program working toward the goal of getting back to WDW. My brother is something akin to a personal trainer and will be helping me get to my goal. I have a meal plan and exercise schedule already set so if I just keep my eye on the prize and stick to my guns I should be able to do this.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried a weight loss related 'deal' to get to WDW? For people like most us, I just can't think of greater motivation.

dove_

I don't have a deal like that (just now in college and no weight problems.. yet), but I think your idea sounds absolutely great. I really hope you get to your goal, and I think you're doing it the right way (not like most people I know, who go on the crash diets).

Good luck! And I hope you get that trip, too! ;)

Upvote 0

Thiger

Good luck!
I have similar deals with my brother before each disney trip!
I find that being in shape for the trip is great because you feel better and also you have less trouble walking all those miles around the parks! (esp epcot)

Good luck!

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

Didn't have a deal like that, but I DID plan way in advance to go to WDW last year in Sept. I started losing weight at the beginning of last year for my health, BUT I had the goal of sticking to my diet until free dining and trying to be at a certain weight for the trip. I lost about 50 pounds before we went.

Let me tell you: you will feel the difference.

We had gone about 2.5 years prior, and the thing I remembered most was my feet hurting more and more each day (could have been bad shoes, I guess). Anyway, I don't have any memory of my feet hurting this past Sept. I attribute much of that to my being 50 pounds lighter.

I have a son who is 5, and he weighs about 40 pounds. Sometimes, when I pick him up and carry him, I think "before I lost weight, it was like I was carrying him around ALL THE TIME--no wonder my feet hurt and I was out of breath".

I did (and have mostly continued to do) the Atkins diet. Haven't had any bloodwork lately, but it has worked wonders for my weight. I can maintain pretty well by "being good" during the week and "splurging" on the weekends.

I put my weight on over many years (most of us do, don't we?), just like you. You don't realize it as you put the weight on, but you forget what it was like to NOT be fat. Lose some weight, and see how your wife looks at you differently--how YOU look at you differently. It's a good feeling. Just--once you get thinner--don't forget what it's like to be fat. You don't want to go back there.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

DisneyFlush:

Good luck, it sounds like you maybe doing the P90X program. Just a guess.

If you are pm me as I am just finishing my second round of it. I can help and offer any tips that you may need.

Upvote 0

BrittFranklin86

That's a great idea! Good luck!!!

I'm actually working on dropping a few pounds before I head out to WDW this upcoming December. When I was living in Florida and spending most of my time around the Mouse, I lost weight, but since I've moved back home, I've gained it back and can definitely tell because It doesn't take nearly as long for me to become short of breath as it used to. I'm not saying that I'm trying to lose a huge amount of weight (I only have 2.5 months to work with), but I do want to get myself in at least A LITTLE better shape by the time I hop on the plane.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Upvote 0

coltow

Try Weight Watchers.... It is great. Hubby and I lost a total of 120 lbs. in 1 year. Good Luck
Worked for me! My sisters and I joined last October. We had already booked our August trip. We each set goals for before we left and we all met them. I even managed to be down 2.8 when I returned.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

Not a weight lost deal, but we are in training:) We're hitting the gym 4 or more times a week because it's a lot of walking!
3 weeks from today!!!!!

Upvote 0

dannytaylor

Hey goodluck-in 2005 my dw and my 2 dd's were going to Disney for the week of thankgiving,and around the begining of OCTOBER i decided to go on a diet for my trip.Well i strted off at 265 pounds and i wanted to be at 200 before i went.I went on a diet full force -the ATKINS diet and 1 week before we left i weighed my goal of 200.So you can do it just have the right mind set and it will happen.:)

Upvote 0

jeffk410

Just a tip

i think what your doing is great and goodluck!! just a tip though, i lift every day and exercise everyday and what i see people do alot is not eat enough. But it is actually healthier to eat like a bannana or a apple every few hours to keep your metabolism up.But goodluck keep us updated!

Upvote 0

Grim Grinner

I lost 13 pounds in the 2 months before my trip. What precipitated this weight loss? Simple (at least is sounds that way):

1. Cut out any and all soft drinks. Avoid anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup and you'll be amazed at how much weight you lose. I lost 5 lbs. from not drinking any soda at all. No change in diet or exercise... Drinks are a killer.

2. Look at the servings. Your typical snack, like one of those frozen lemonades you get at Flame Tree Barbecue is 3 servings. Reduce yourself down to the servings and you'll also lose weight.

3. Walking helps burn off extra calories, but as I discovered at my trip, the Dining Plan added 3 lbs to my torso. Factor in the food and all that walking and imagine the two fighting each other.

I wish you the best of luck and best of health.

Upvote 0

dgtolbert222

I always the day after we book our trip, i start walking, and my goal is to walk the distance from my house to disney world (657) miles before we leave, it usually works out to about 4 miles a day and by the time we get there i feel like i can walk forever

Upvote 0

disneypearl

I think that is a great plan. It is always nice to have a reward as a motivator and what better reward than WDW! I wish you the best in your efforts and hope you meet your goal.

Upvote 0

Figment25

I always diet prior to WDW trips, I find this a neccesity basically because I always end up gaining atleast 8 lbs after eating all the wonderful food the world has to offer. I started dieting about three weeks ago, I am close to losing 20 lbs, and we leave in 2 weeks from today. I hope to lose atleast 5 more lbs, therefore it will not be so bad to gain my wdw weight. All that aside, congrats on deciding to change your lifestyle, I find there is no better motivation than a WDW trip to reach your goal. It is amazing how different one feels after losing weight, and the more weight you lose, the better you will feel about yourself, and that is motivation in itself.

Upvote 0
In June, we booked this year's trip for late October to coincide with the F&W festival in Epcot. One of the highlights of previous trips is doing the Segway tour in Epcot. There is a weight limit for the Segway's, and my husband wanted to make sure that he could take the tour. So far he has lost over 40 pounds and dropped several clothes sizes. And we will definitely be taking the tour this year!

I've lost almost 20 pounds, and we have just been trying to watch what we eat and cut out snacking and stop going out for meals. We also walk our Lab puppy "Captain Jack" for at least 2 miles twice a day -- that has definitely gotten us in shape for our upcoming vacation - less than a month away!

Upvote 0

drizea

Do it for yourself!

I say do what you think will work for you. My only concern would be that if you don't make your goal, slight depression could come, from setting such a high reward. Do this for yourself.

I'm going to suggest an HMR program. I'm in one currently and have had great success. It is a meal replacement program, but they do transition into maintenance, to teach you how to eat healthily and keep off the weight. This is a 13 week program (to begin, you can continue as long as you'd like) so I'm wondering if you're doing something similar. The HMR company is based out of Boston, but I have found programs online for clinics all over the US. I highly recomment it. I have been in the program for about 8 weeks now, and have lost 24 lbs. It's a very supportive environment in which you don't actually discuss your weight loss with the group - just if you stayed on track.

Upvote 0

Shere_Khan

I think that is absoultely wonderful - and in my opinion there is no better motivation then rewarding yourself with a trip to WDW!
Good luck, I know you can do it!

Upvote 0

jestrfyl

Walkin'

It is not how much you weigh, but how much you can walk. I find the diversity of the human form enchanting. But, for your health and well being I would focus more on how far and how easily you can walk. If you each frugally and carefully, weight loss may happen as you travel through the Disney parks (though i defy anyone to pass the DoleWhips without stopping! Pineapple & chocolate is my downfall:slurp:). So start walking now, a couple of miles a day (equal to a mere two laps around the MK) make sure to include a few Fast-Pass sprints as well, and you will be fine. Size is a consequence not a goal of good health. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom