Losing a Disney loved one

silver1113

I'm so sorry for your loss. I will keep your family in my thoughts. I also agree that taking her kids would be a wonderful tribute and something she would want you to do.

828tnt

Sorry for your loss, this is never an easy situation for anyone. I would say that your sister is in a better place looking down on you and the rest of the family. I would say take the kids... its what she would want you to do. There are a lot of things you could do with the kids... for an example, go to any of the balloon stands on Main Street USA and bring a sharpie, have the kids right messages on the balloon and let it go once they're done... explain to them that theyre sending mom a postcard from disney world, her favorite place.

GREAT idea! and i would also suggest taking the trip!

harveyt0206

I don't really have a great words of advice but just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

I think you should plan to take her children and let them experience something that obviously meant so much to your sister in the hopes that they will carry on the Disney tradition in her memory and honor.

ThinkTink721

I am so sorry for your loss. :(
Just take some time to grieve & then make your decision.
It will probably depend a lot on how the kids are doing.
When they are ready, I believe that they will enjoy it...it would be a great way to remember their mother since she loved Disney so much.

Nemo14

My brother's wife passed away at 29, leaving 3 small children, so I understand that gut-wrenching grief that you and your family are going through. I think a Disney trip is a great idea, but I do think you need to give the kids, and yourself, time and permission to grieve. I know my niece's experience was entirely different from either of her brothers', and it took her a long time to feel secure enough to travel anywhere away from home. Just be there for them, and don't try to make the pain go away, because it won't. You'll know when they're ready for that Disney trip, but don't be surprised if it isn't right away. :kiss:

I'm so sorry for your loss and as morbid as it may sound, I was actually thinking about this today at work just for a bit. My boyfriend and I met at the Disney College Program and the whole family is into Disney. Our whole lives revolve around Disney. I came with the conclusion that I'd never visit the world anymore. It'd be too painful for me because since we're cast members, we have a million spots in the world that mean something to us and It would just remind me a lot about him. But that's just me. Now if I had children, I'd want them to go and I'd try to do it for them but it would be super hard. Good Luck <3 Baby steps.

disneynut4u

Original Poster
Thank you all for your thoughts & prayers. It was a very hard February. We were supposed to go to WDW in December. That was her favorite time of year to go. I knew that we would not be able to handle going at Christmas without her. The kids are doing pretty good. It's us adults not handling things too well. I am hoping that by next year May, I will be able to handle being at Disney, with her kids, and not with her. I am the oldest in my family and she was not supposed to go before me!! It has really opened up our eyes about life!

Ok, on a lighter note, I loved the balloon idea and the picture at EPCOT, so we will be making plans to do those! You guys are great!!

pixiesteno

I am so very sorry for your loss.
My dad retired in January of 2006 and he really wanted to go with us and our sons to Disney so we were planning for a trip Jan 2007. Unfortunately, he was diagnosised with bone cancer Jan 30, 2006 and left us Feb 26, 2006. We never got that trip but in the subsequent trips he was there in spirit. He lives on through myself, my children, and now grandchildren. Just as your sister lives on through her children. You will know when the time is right to take them
I know this must sound strange but there is a song that plays everytime that we are discussing dad or one of dad's favorite things and when we are trying to make a major decision that involves something that we would have normally discussed with him. It is Lonestar's "I'm already there." When we left the hospital the morning dad died and we were on the way back to his house to let my stepmother know and I said to my husband, "I wonder if Dad was it heaven yet." He did not have an answer for me but when I turned on the radio and that was the song that just started to play. I guess that was my answer.
Your sister will be there at WDW when you are ready. Your will miss her physical presence but she will be there in a song, her expression on her children's face, a whiff of her favorite purfume on the air ... she will be there.

Sarabell

I'm really sorry for your loss.

I was like 12 when this happened but I remember well. My cousin's husband died in a gun shooting and their daughter was like 7 or 8 by the time. They were also planning a disney trip.

That year my parents also had a trip planned, so we decided to join them, and a bunch of the family made the same decision. 20 of us eneded up going with them. They would get pretty emotional sometimes but we were all there to cheer them up. Up to this day my cousin still says it was the best disney trip she had. that was back in 1995, so it must have really made an impression cause when we get together we still talk about that trip.

So my recomendation is, take the kids. Make the trip a family reunion to celebrate your sister's life. If it goes like our trip did, the kids will remember that forever, and it will be a good memory.

figment1988

sorry to hear about this loss. I agree 100% with the other posters. Go for it. It will be a nice way to bring joy to the kids in time of despair such as the passing of a family member.

pluto77

I agree with the others. I was supposed to go on my first Disney trip when I was just turning 8 with my Aunt and Uncle and cousin (their only child). They took all my older siblings on their trips so it was a tradition. Well not much more than a month before the trip they were in a car accident and my aunt and cousin died leaving my uncle in critical condition. It was hard on all of us. I still remember the night it happened. My other aunt stepped in and volunteered to take me to Disney(she also loves Disney, and my mom wouldn't have been able to do it). When we got back she made me a photo album of our trip, just like my brother and sisters got, that included pictures, postcards, plane tickets, etc... I would get it out every now and then and look at it (and still do). I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad that I still have that memory, and I think you'd be glad to give your sister's children that memory. Its definitely not what I would have liked to have happened, but life goes on and I'm very thankful that my other aunt stepped in to give me that special trip.

Walt Disney1955

My sister, who was 33, with 3 young children, died last month after complications from the flu. She was a Disney junkie like me. We had a trip already planned for this December, but while she was in the hospital, we postponed the trip til next year in May (doctors said if she made it, it would take that long to recuperate). However, she did not make it. She wanted so badly to take her 3 year old daughter to see Cinderella. My question is this: should my other sister & I try to take the kids for her? If any of you have been in this spot before, did you enjoy your trip, knowing that your loved one wasn't there who always was before?

Complications from the flu? Geez, that's a shame and a very unlikely way that you wouldn't expect someone so young to go. I'm sorry.

I think you should be the good aunt and take the kids. Maybe not right away, but for sure you should introduce them to WDW.

disneynut4u

Original Poster
Complications from the flu? Geez, that's a shame and a very unlikely way that you wouldn't expect someone so young to go. I'm sorry.

I think you should be the good aunt and take the kids. Maybe not right away, but for sure you should introduce them to WDW.

To explain the complications as best I can, she caught the flu from her kids, went to the doctor, got medicine for it, overnight it turned into pneumonia. MIL found her passed out on her bedroom floor & she was rushed to ER by ambulance. she contracted staph while in hospital. Was mis-diagnosed and mis-medicated, which "fed" the staph; she ended up in coma. we had her airlifted to another hospital which caught on right away, and that's when we found out what happened at the first hospital. Over the next few days, both lungs collapsed and she coded. She lasted 10 days, 4 of which she was in coma. What made it so hard was that it was so needless. Had it been cancer or a car wreck, we might could have accepted it better.

We know we couldn't handle going to Disney this year. We will wait and see how we feel later on before we decide for sure. You guys are great with your support!

amypants

13 years ago my mom died from compications from Lupus. My dad made the decision to take my sister and I to disney over summer break that year. I wont lie it was a tough trip to make my mom loved disney- but it was a beautiful trip. She was everywhere with us those ten days. We were lucky enough to get a memorium stone put down for her in front of magic kingdom. We now visit it everytime we are there( sadly thetes s huge gum stain there now but its still nice to see)

So it may not be the happiest trip you take, but I bet those kids will enjoy it in a sentimental way that sometimes we all need to feel.

disneynut4u

Original Poster
An update on my Original post: We have decided to go ahead and take the kids to WDW in December as originally planned. We used our vacation points to book a trip to Aulani as a surprise to dad, BUT, he started talking about hating to fly, no way he'd get on a plane, etc, and this was BEFORE we told him about the trip. So, we gave him an option of where he wanted to go for his 70th birthday present, and he opted to take my sister's kids to WDW at Christmas like she wanted. We spoke with their dad & the kids, and they want to go this year. So, we are going on for December.

We had her daughter's 4th birthday party yesterday. Some of her balloons came untied and floated away. She said "you can have my balloons, mamma". It brought tears to our eyes, because it fit in with a suggestion posted earlier on here. It was a nice day. Thanks guys, for your input.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom