looks like fastpass if going to change!!!

ToTBellHop

You know, after reading the Screamscape post, I'm a little shocked at how closely this proposed new system approaches a Las Vegas style system. This seems like Disney World's system of comps--no free cars for big spenders, but you can stay out of the lines. It seems pretty irritating to me, but I can understand why Disney would do it. I just don't know how they can practically do it. When I approach a Fastpass kiosk, I like to see what time I am going to get, and that influences my decision on whether or not I'll get the Fastpass. Are they going to have 15 return times posted and you determine which category you fall in or will you get surprised with a time, which would be pretty irritating to me. It seems needlessly complex to me. I say just keep the system like it is, and allow all Disney Resort Hotel guests to get unlimited Fastpasses, which would be more than enough to make me pay the higher rates. I hesitate to think of the days when slot machines will line the floor of Animal Kingdom Lodge and all of the Fastpass attractions will get special "High Roller Entrances".

tomm4004

First, exactly who made the application for this patent. Are these "Inventors" Disney employees?

"[0289] One scenario of use is allocating different percentages of Fastpass to different users. For example, a percentage of the capacity of an attraction capacity is allocated to wireless (cellular) Fastpass in addition to a percentage allocated to Fastpass distribution at the attraction."

Great. One more reason to be annoyed by cell phones.

"[0279] The patron first registers with the reservation system. This may be done in a number of ways. For example, the patron manually enters an identifier from their ticket, such as a ticket number, onto the keypad of their cellular phone."

I'm just trying to picture people asking: "What do you want to ride next?" "How about Space Mountain?" Pulls out cell phone. "Okay, I'll see what I can do."

"[0248] a. Spending per guest at hotels can determine different hierarchies of access to Fastpass. Thus, the more that is spent by a patron, the higher the priority can be for Fastpass."

I have visions of coming back to your room at night and there's a message from Disney that says, "You spent $100 on merchandise today. For that you get unlimited Fastpasses tomorrow for one attraction at the park you attend. Congratulations. If you spend $200 tomorrow, you can get unlimited Fastpasses for all eligible attractions in your park of choice for the following day."

maxime29

Premium Member
I believe this can only work at a resort area like Universal. They had the unlimited Universal Express when we visited (cost a fee), but we were able to get on a ride like Spider-Man 5 times in a row while others had to wait 45 minutes. Since there were only 2 hotels on Universal Property at the time (Portofino Bay and Hard Rock Hotel) this system worked very well.

Now take Universal with a multiplier of xxx number and you have a bigger problem. More people stay on property at Disney obviously. More people also visit parks such as Epcot and the Magic Kingdom more often than the Universal Parks. Combining the day's fastpass users with those who pay for a Fastpass service sounds like a tongue twister in the queue. If Disney plans on using this pay service, they will definately have a demand for this. There are also going to be growing pains with it (like most other things have). I don't know if suggesting limiting the daily fastpass amount will work or not. I also don't know whether creating a longer wait between retrieving a new fastpass would help offset this either. Again, Disney would definately jump on this if it was another big time profit maker.

inafog

sabian said:
Mark my words....the version of fastpass he is referring to will not happen....... The whole point of a patent is to keep others from using the idea, or make them pay you if they do. The reason all of these aspects of the patent are included is so the company has patented control over every possible use of the fast pass. You know how corporations are, if you leave one aspect unpatented, they will seize it, rename it, and basically steal the idea. They are just covering every possible use of fastpass so they have a lock-solid patent on the technology

This is true; patents are written as broadly as possible. On the first one my DH and his attorney wrote, they accidently made it so broad that he would have held a patent on color photography processing.

I hope you're right that WDW won't limit FPs to resort guests and super FPs for deluxe guests. I posted at length on the other thread why I think it's a bad idea, so I won't bore y'all by repeating. Think how much money WDW would lose just if I stopped going. Though I do generally stay on-site now that I'm paying for the trips.

Christina

^ Wow... well. Um...

Okay since I've never posted on a thread with the proposed FP changes, I will say this...

I don't like the idea. It's once again taking way from the "equality" factor I love about Disneyworld. "Can afford to get in? Fantastic! Here, go get a fastpass and explore Mexico!" Now it's going to be..." Can you afford to get in? Good. Well suck it up and brave the three hundred minute wait for TT while you watch richer people speed by."

Sickening.

Personally, I always felt that if you shell out the big bucks to stay in a concierge level room, you should be entitled to something like an "unlimited Fastpass" for your stay. After all, it's not like that Fastpass system is being denied to anyone. Anyone can go and get a Fastpass and "speed by" the standby line.

The bottom line is, an "unlimited FastPass" is nothing more than a convienience perk. The convienience being skipping the Fastpass issue kiosk. When you are paying the extra bucks for your stay, what are you paying for?????? Convienience.

KevinPage

DVC_Couple_PA said:
The bottom line is, an "unlimited FastPass" is nothing more than a convienience perk. The convienience being skipping the Fastpass issue kiosk. When you are paying the extra bucks for your stay, what are you paying for?????? Convienience.

You are paying for a nice hotel with nicer perks, you are not paying MORE to get into any of the parks. BIG DIFFERENCE.

The price you pay for the hotel is due to the level of service you get IN THE HOTEL :D

tk421-sw

Yeah, and then we will have ANOTHER line that passes the unlimited FASTPASS line, and then we will have another line (that Disney would have to contruct) that wold go faster then that one, untill there is no real line anymore. ...j/k

"And then we are going to go back to Washington, and take back the White House! Heeyyyyyyyahhhhhh!"

Anyways. Yeah, the fastpass system is fine. you get one, you a little faster. You don't you waite a little while longer. I always see the Peter Pan line filled. and then some fastpasses here and there. I know fastpass is big on this ride. But the normal line is always filled too. The system is fine.

I'm not going to speak for Walt, but I don't think he would have wanted a system like this. His views and feelings don't seem to go along with it. He created the park (Disneyland) for everyone. Back then there was no fastpass, sure the E- ticket thing was around, but the park was everymans park. This just sounds like another place to get some money, sorry Disney. and Sorry Walt.

wishiwere@wdw

Univeral seems to have no problem providing front-of-line access to their big attractions for hotel guests while screwing the average visitor so why not Disney? Six Flags is making a bundle from renting the Q-bots so why not Disney?

With that said, this is a horrible idea IMO. I've been on the other side of the fence watching those who are superior to me because they can flash that pass far too many times. I can handle the Disney system since it is fair (for the most part) and because it is FREE and available to everybody.

Let us hope this isn't true. Its a bad move if it is.

rct247

Well, I know you guys will get on my case and that's fine. That's all you guys like to do...get on people's cases and complain about everything that isn't perfect. (ok, I really dont' mean to be that harsh)

Anyways...I will just say this...

JimHill Media is fun to read.

I love fastpass. KEEP THE OLD SYSTEM. It has its faults but doesn't everything. I think it was a great idea and that is why so many parks have tried to duplicate it. Disney just has to remember that not everything needs a fastpass even if its a new ride.

Enough said.

Let the complaining again...once again...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom