Location of Rock n RollerCoaster

trendymagic

Actually a new station was built when RnR was built....

Concerned that if Tower of Terror dropped both elevators at the same time that Rock n Roller Coaster launched would bring down the Studios power grid, WDI installed a electric substation just for Rock n Roller Coaster.

daksimba

When I went to an information session about possibly transfering to the opening crew of Rock 'n' Roller coaster, they told us how to explain the location of R'n'R.

The G-Force building was built in the same time as the Hollywood Tower Hotel, and the other buildings on Sunset Blvrd. At that time it was a recording studio, but not G-Force. It later closed, and then re-opened in the current time as G-Force records. Both it, and The Tower of Terror take place at approx the same time period.

JeShr

Originally posted by jmarc63
From what I recall, Disney wanted to close horizions for a while, rumors of M:S started to surface, The thought was to reuse the Horizions building for M:S, But then the structual problems became apparent and that Idea was droped infavor of starting from scratch which was easier and more cost effective in the long run.

From the inception the plot where Horizions was was Built and where M:S now stands was always invisioned for a space pavilion back in the 70s and shelved due to technological drawbacks to creating there original vision. With that in mind the power subststion on the east side of EPCOT was probably put where it as in consideration of the attraction needing lots of power

Looking at aerial pictures of epcot, there appears to be an actual power plant located just behind M:S and TT.

jimmyzero

Darksimba, that sounded so "Disney Men In Black"....Anywho, I bet they have a small-scale nuclear facility in the tunnels underneath the MK ;)

daksimba

Originally posted by jimmyzero
Darksimba, that sounded so "Disney Men In Black"....Anywho, I bet they have a small-scale nuclear facility in the tunnels underneath the MK ;)

Only the coal plant that operates Walt's Cryogenic freezer.

Damn, I let the secret out :hammer:

strobe

Originally posted by wdwmagic
You might be wondering why RnR was placed so close to ToT along the already crowded Sunset Blvd when the other side of the park is becoming somewhat deserted. The answer is the power supply. RnR uses so much power that it had to be sited close to a major power sub station near to a supply feed that was already in place near to Tower of Terror.

Wow... I asked my wife that same question 'Why are these so close together in a park that can use major attractions?' Now it makes perfect sense :D

STGRhost

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but I thought this was funny:

The movie doesn't mention G-Force Records.

The movie also had Steve Gutenburg in it...a mark of quality if I ever saw one. :rolleyes:

The official "history" of the building is, like others have mentioned, that it was built around the same time as Hollywood Tower Hotel. The incident that shut the hotel down in 1939 also destroyed whatever buisness was run out of the building next door (I have heard it was a record company, but I have also heard it was some other type of production company. Depends on which GSM you ask, I guess) Then G-Force began using it, and you know the rest....

As far as the movie based on the attraction, it's like other movies that are "based on a true story" - besides, did Country Bears, Pirates of the Caribean, or Haunted Mansion rely too heavily on the stories specific to the attractions they're based on?
ToT is wonderful theming, IMO - the movie is a piece of direct-to-video crap. And it ALSO doesn't mention the Twilight Zone, which, if I remember, is briefly mentioned in the pre-show, or something like that...:animwink:

mrtoad

Originally posted by STGRhost
Sorry to flog a dead horse, but I thought this was funny:

The movie also had Steve Gutenburg in it...a mark of quality if I ever saw one. :rolleyes:

The official "history" of the building is, like others have mentioned, that it was built around the same time as Hollywood Tower Hotel. The incident that shut the hotel down in 1939 also destroyed whatever buisness was run out of the building next door (I have heard it was a record company, but I have also heard it was some other type of production company. Depends on which GSM you ask, I guess) Then G-Force began using it, and you know the rest....

As far as the movie based on the attraction, it's like other movies that are "based on a true story" - besides, did Country Bears, Pirates of the Caribean, or Haunted Mansion rely too heavily on the stories specific to the attractions they're based on?
ToT is wonderful theming, IMO - the movie is a piece of direct-to-video crap. And it ALSO doesn't mention the Twilight Zone, which, if I remember, is briefly mentioned in the pre-show, or something like that...:animwink:

What movie? There was a ToT movie? :veryconfu

Roey

Originally posted by wdwmagic
You might be wondering why RnR was placed so close to ToT along the already crowded Sunset Blvd when the other side of the park is becoming somewhat deserted. The answer is the power supply. RnR uses so much power that it had to be sited close to a major power sub station near to a supply feed that was already in place near to Tower of Terror.

Hmm. That's interesting. I always thought that the RnR was placed on Sunset Blvd. because it takes place in "Hollywood" and "LA" just like all of the other things on that street..... like the "Hollywood Hotel" Tot. :hammer:

Not too hard to figure out there and I'm not even an Imagineer.... although maybe I should be. :animwink:

Sorry, the story always comes first when designing a new Disney attraction. Check out the references to this in the Walt Disney Imagineering book.

Of couse you are the Administrator so you probably have heard maybe some more on this. Let me know! :wave:

Originally posted by daksimba
That is actually a water cooling plant.

There is no power plant on Disney property.

what about the one across from the monorail roundhouse or behind fort wilderness off bonnet creek road where there are signs that say flordia power

coasterchik

Power reqs. for Coaster

The LSM on Coaster uses enough electricity per launch to provide power to your house for approx. a year. Depending how much electricity you use. :) There for it had to be close to a major power source.

Okay they screwed up the movie BIG TIME The hotel is supposed to have 13 Stories not 12.

Btw when building the tower did they realize that according to the story part of the hotel disapeared right well if so why is the sign in front of the shaft i would have had to be above the "Damage Point" or every time you went to the 13 floor you would be looking at the sign 180 feet up :p

TheOneVader

If RnRC needed it's own substation anyway, they could have placed it anywhere in the park. Only thing is, the rest of the park doesn't have a Hollywood theme, 'cept for the entrance where there's no room for it. Plus, it works out to get a FP for ToT, and go on RnRC or vice versa.

Tom

Beta Return
Power can pretty much be run to whatever location they need it. My guess would be that new attractions are located based on the following criteria, in order:
1. To maintain theming & story
2. Where there is space available
3. Where utilities are most easily accessible

If 1 and 2 govern, which is most commonly the case, then they will modify their infrastructure to get the proper water, cooling, and power to the new attraction.

There is at least one power plant on property, located north of the Magic Kingdom. The things that look like nuclear power plants (both behind the MK and near all of the other parks) are actually Cooling Towers - which are used for the Air Conditioning system. They resemble huge boxes with big cylinders coming out the top.

The word Substation and Transformer are interchangeable. They both either increase or decrease the voltage that comes into them - they do not generate more AMPS, and AMPS are the units that attractions require more or less of. A nearby Substation merely converts the incoming 72,000 volts (from the power plant) down to 120/240/480 Volts (what a ride needs). Thus, the theory that RnRC was placed based on Substation locations could be true, but odds are they didn't add a substation for the attraction, since ToT and Fantasmic were already drawing the same power requirements in that area.

Sorry to get so technical - just thought I'd help explain some theory :hammer:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Get as techy as you like! I can just about keep up on a Sunday! My understanding for the placement (but obviously I can`t vouch for its authenticity) was ToT and RnR share the same substation / feed / juice source, separate from the rest of the park, since if both drop shafts went to maximum draw on the studios grid simultaneously, plus RnR launched at the same time, at best there could be a brown out, at worst a failure. Hence they share a separate power source from the rest of the park.

Ahhh.. the Central Energy Plant. The original 1971 plant in the North Service area. When EPCOT Center was built they constructed a substation for the park, backstage east of what is now Mission:Space. Another of my useless bits of trivia (I even have the photo...)

Since we are on the subject, does anyone know what ratio WDW makes its own power to what is bought in from outside? I know originally it was self sufficent (MK, North Services, East Services, tree farm & sewerage, 2 hotels, Seven Seas monorial & the Village area) but I doubt they can sustain todays demand. I do believe, however (again) that WDW can sustain itself for emmergency power in a blackout if need be. Park power failures have been due to technical failures / storm damage, not lack of jiuce. Can anyone clarify this?

drp4video

I know I love the location of TOT and RNR because I can get a fast pass for one, wait in line for the other, and when I an done, use the fast pass. Same fo TT and MS! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom