local disney store's closing?

shoppingnut

Hopefully they will get some decent adult merchandise in the stores now because whatever small amount of merchandise was in TDS's was total garbage. I long for the days when they were first opened and had a wonderful selection of adult clothing and unique merchandise, not things I can find at Walmart for cheaper prices.

weluvtink

One of the main problems with the adult merchandise was that everyone wanted us to have it but they didn't want to pay that much. The stuff sat until it went 75% off. People got mad when we got rid of the collectables. We still have people come in and ask us where it went. Then they tell us how disappointed they are because they "always bought" our cels. Then we have to tell them that we haven't carried that stuff for over two years. :brick: The Childrens Place pricing is much better. Hopefully we will start to carry more adult things.

wedway71

weluvtink said:
One of the main problems with the adult merchandise was that everyone wanted us to have it but they didn't want to pay that much. The stuff sat until it went 75% off. People got mad when we got rid of the collectables. We still have people come in and ask us where it went. Then they tell us how disappointed they are because they "always bought" our cels. Then we have to tell them that we haven't carried that stuff for over two years. :brick: The Childrens Place pricing is much better. Hopefully we will start to carry more adult things.

i agree 100%.i now work for coke but before that i was a hardlines manager for target so i do have some knowledge of retail. a huge problem was everbody wanted disney store to carry adult merchandise like cells,lithographs,polos,ties,pens,etc but only a small percentage actually bought these items.i was going to more than likely leave target and apply at disney store in glendale,ca (corporate offices) until they decided to sell to childrens place.i spoke to many store managers and some district managers and they all said the same thing that people loved to look at the adult merchandise but hardly ever bought any of it.
in retail there is something called "space to sales"-stores use this formula to set stores-for instance if in a target store if toothpaste accounted for 30% of health and beauty aids sales than toohpaste would get 30 % of shelf space in the dept. now lets addapt that to disney store-if adult items were only accounting for less than 5% of total store sales than it would get 5% of sales floor space or less.plush and princess and other kids merchandise sold alot more so thus getting most of the floor space and eventually the store getting rid of adult totally.i know i get mad too because i loved buying watches and ties there but from a corporate standpoint can we really be mad at disney? they are in the business of making money and selling products and if most people just looked at the items but never bought anything how can disney store justify keeping those items?
dont get me wrong i wish disney store stayed like it was when first opened too but i do understand some of their decisions.

SnowWhite5669

I can't wait to see what the new stores look like. I quit my Disney Store after four years a little over 3 months ago. It just didn't make economic sense to continue working there with gas prices going up, etc. I do miss it but I see the people I worked with all the time. I especially like being able to go shopping in the store without worrying about my schedule or stagesets! :)

VILLAINSRULE

The new stage set has less adult merchandise than I have seen in a long time....no p.j's, no shirts other than more tee shirts-----still have mugs and snow globes......I hope there will be more for holiday but I am not holding my breath...... :dazzle: :mad:

darthdarrel

angelfaerie52 said:
There were a bunch of threads about this a few months ago... but...

All of the Disney stores have been shut down. They were bought out by The Children's Place. I am from MA, and the one in the Braintree mall (South Shore Plaza) was turned into this store that looks like a Children's Place but with Disney themed outfits. I doubt they'd have Disney Dollars.

Maybe you can get them online. I bet you can, hopefully someone else can answer that.
I beg to differ the Disney Store at the Great Lakes Mall in Mentor, Ohio is still going strong! So not every Disney Store has been shut down.Infact we are getting our Hopper passes for our October trip there.It may not be owned by Disney anymore, but everything in it is Disney.

monorail256

darthdarrel said:
but everything in it is Disney.

...and that's how its going to stay. :D

Yesterday, we got in our mailpack a tape of the 'Top 7 Must See's at Walt Disney World'... ahh... that was nice. I think I might have to borrow it.. haha.

[To any TDS CM]: Did any of you guys recieve the new snowglobes yet? I'm really wanting that Disneyland 50th one... haha.

TheDisneyGirl02

angelfaerie52 said:
There were a bunch of threads about this a few months ago... but...

All of the Disney stores have been shut down. They were bought out by The Children's Place. I am from MA, and the one in the Braintree mall (South Shore Plaza) was turned into this store that looks like a Children's Place but with Disney themed outfits. I doubt they'd have Disney Dollars.

Maybe you can get them online. I bet you can, hopefully someone else can answer that.

If that statement is true, then I'm out of a job that I'm scheduled to work at on Sunday. The Disney Stores have NOT shut down and are NOT closing. Yes, we were purchased by the Children's Place but will continue to ONLY sell Disney merchandise. The guests DID NOT notice the difference, the Cast however has due to our benefits being cut down to pretty much ZIP. You can still purchase Disney Dollars at the Disney Stores as well as Disney theme park passes (allow additonal time for DL tickets though).

Once again, the Disney Stores have not been shut down. We are open and we are still Disney regardless of who signs our paychecks. My store in Whitehall, PA is still thriving and we're not planning on going anywhere anytime soon!

TheDisneyGirl02

darthdarrel

TheDisneyGirl02 said:
If that statement is true, then I'm out of a job that I'm scheduled to work at on Sunday. The Disney Stores have NOT shut down and are NOT closing. Yes, we were purchased by the Children's Place but will continue to ONLY sell Disney merchandise. The guests DID NOT notice the difference, the Cast however has due to our benefits being cut down to pretty much ZIP. You can still purchase Disney Dollars at the Disney Stores as well as Disney theme park passes (allow additonal time for DL tickets though).

Once again, the Disney Stores have not been shut down. We are open and we are still Disney regardless of who signs our paychecks. My store in Whitehall, PA is still thriving and we're not planning on going anywhere anytime soon!

TheDisneyGirl02
Nice to get some validation from people in the know!
Thank you The Disneygirl02! :wave: :D

Magic Maker

I was a manager in my local Disney Store. It closed 3 years ago.

At the time WDW was in a hiring freeze. I went to another company and was a manager there. Six months later I went to DAK and worked in merchandise there. And worked in other areas of WDW. Now I have just started at Kilimanjaro Safaris and I LOVE IT!

TheDisneyGirl02

darthdarrel said:
Nice to get some validation from people in the know!
Thank you The Disneygirl02! :wave: :D

You are very welcome! Even though Disney sold us like cattle, I still love and believe in the company and what Walt started. That is why I still want people to continue to shop at the Disney Store and know that they will continue to have Cast Members who will meet or exceed Disney's strict standards. The cast at my store is wonderful and we are more than happy to answer any Disney question you may have at anytime.

So, please keep shopping at the Disney Store! It's still magic in your hometown!

TheDisneyGirl02

wedway71

TheDisneyGirl02 said:
You are very welcome! Even though Disney sold us like cattle, I still love and believe in the company and what Walt started. That is why I still want people to continue to shop at the Disney Store and know that they will continue to have Cast Members who will meet or exceed Disney's strict standards. The cast at my store is wonderful and we are more than happy to answer any Disney question you may have at anytime.

So, please keep shopping at the Disney Store! It's still magic in your hometown!

TheDisneyGirl02[/QUOTE

Very true!
Even though Childrens Place is techincally the owner here are some key facts...

a-Disney must approve any store remodels and merchandising schemes.
b-Disney Store cms must still adhere to Disney grooming guidlines(wont see anyone with a purple mohawk)
c-there are other operations that arent 100% owned by Disney but do very well and make Disney MONEY.Look at Tokyo Disneyland.Oriental Land Co. owns the resort and all of the Japan Disney Stores.Disney gets all the franchise fees and royalties$$$$$$$.
d-Disney/Childrens Place will work very very close.Childrens Place now had an office within Disney Consumer Products corporate office.
e-The more money Disney Store makes the more money Disney makes too.
f-Just a side note only the North amercan stores are sold to Childrens Place.
Disney decided to keep the stores in Europe/and certain parts of Asia.

cokenews

Stores still open

Thanks for all of the news regarding the "new" Disney Stores - my question is "How do I find them?" A few in the Maryland area have closed and I'd like to check to see which stores are still open in my area. Hitting the Disney web site came up with a list of stores - including most of the closed locations. Is there a place where a detailed list of stores still open / soon opening can be found?

Thanks

monorail256

I don't believe there is an acutal offical website with a listing of all the stores anymore... you can do a search on the internet for 'Disney Store locations', but as you said, all of those lists also include the closed Disney Store locations.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is going to be an offical list until the re-opening of disneystore.com in Spring 2006.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom