Living Seas to close March 2004 for rehab

t3techcom18

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
IMHO:

LS is looooooong overdue a mayor rehab. TRUE, but also needs presence, the removal of that 80' look of Seabase Alpha. Now what about using the same concepts in the "Nemo" DVD, like the Jean Michell Costeau movie and so on. Will still be a learning process, plus, a whole new experience in the "ride" and cue's and so on and so on....

I agree too that TLS is need of long rehab...Yeah, I have the Nemo DVD, and when I saw the Jean-Michel Cousteau special, I thought it would do good to replace the entrance movie. It was quite funny, to be honest. You could put back the old seacabs, no AA's, but put video screens that blend in to the glass of the tank, and put the Nemo character gang in there. And keep the hydrolators...they're old, but rehab them with a new system(put them like the elevators at DisneyQuest, with video screens), and have the Nemo characters have jokes. And not to make stuff serious, between the hydrolators and the seacabs, put a video screen with Dory on there making jokes. Example:

Dory: Hey, you people be careful on those steps...you see Nemo got trapped in them, and he went thorugh the tank, and....wait...WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!?!?!? Maybe you're whales...
HOOOOOWWWWWW AAARRRRREEEE YYYYYOOOOOOUUUUUU WHHHAAAAAAALLLLLLLEEEEESSSSS DDDDDDOOOOIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Well, though I hate her in the Universe of Energy, she did a great job in playing Dory, and Ellen in two Epcot attractions wouldn't bother me that much.

Maybe they could do something along these lines-Nemo gets lost again, and stumbles into Ariel from The Little Mermaid, who teaches Nemo and us about our oceans? Could also continue into a ride on the SeaCabs, where at the end Nemo is reunited with Marlin his father once again. Just a thought.

Would this be too much of a character takeover on TLS?

PaisleyMF

I saw a proyection system that was on glass. It had a plastic to proyect into it plus was almost clear so you can see the back of it. It would be a great way to Nemo and Co. interact with the ride. plus on the Omnimovers you can ad some LCD with a touch screen (like a tablet PC) so there can be also games and more info on the fishes and Nemo... On the hydrolators on the "bubble screens" there can be the gang from the "Acuarium / Desntist Office" hanging around and making all sort of tuff just to get your atention or just to escape to the Sea Base Alpha Area...

but is IMHO...

Pixie Duster

Originally posted by Lee
Not like this.....
As for Living Seas...it's all about what guests like. Keeping attractions unchanged is beneficial only to us Disneyphiles on the internet, not the general public.
It's obvious that guests are not interested in Living Seas in it's current form. It is TOO scientific and dry (so to speak).
Bringing in Nemo, not to be the focus of the pavillion, but rather as it's "host", would increase guest interest.
Works for me.
It makes no sense for Disney to say, "Well, guests avoid it like the plague, but it's a classic. Can't change a classic."

Holy Cow, someone actually gets it :eek:

I don't know siad that if Nemo became part of LS it would lose it's educational touch. Hello?! Did you people not see how much research of the ocean went into making that movie and even the little feature short on the DVD, that' s even a bit educational. Of course LS will be educational, no wait it will be edutaining :)

And what is the point of having a place call Future World if it never changes, hmmmmmmmmmm?

Pixie Duster

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
I On the hydrolators on the "bubble screens" there can be the gang from the "Acuarium / Desntist Office" hanging around and making all sort of tuff just to get your atention or just to escape to the Sea Base Alpha Area...

"BUBBLES!!!!!!!..... my bubbles!"

imagineer99

I think "Finding Nemo" was a fantastic film. However, the use of Nemo characters as the focal point for the Living Seas is against the pavillion's overall feel. Future World (with the exception of Test Track) is all about Man's progression and existance with various aspects of the world. The Living Seas is meant to represent the vast wonder of the ocean and how it relates to man's history, present, and future.

I'm sorry, but a bunch of talking fish from a popular movie just do not convey a very important aura. This does not mean that Nemo does not have a place in the Living Seas. I think that the computer screens in the exhibits can be narrated by Nemo characters, but the basic pavillion should stay "character free."

Change can be a good thing, and there is no doubt that the Living Seas is in need of a change. However, such changes should be made so that man's relationship with the ocean is explored, not the popularity of a movie. All of this is just my opinion of course.:)

lebernadin

I think a good example of incorporating a popular Disney film into a pavilion's core theming, instead of changing a pavilion's core theming to suit a Disney film, is The Land's "Circle of Life" film.

If the Nemo characters can be utilized in the same way within the Livings Seas, then that'd be great.

But if Disney's just going to say "well ok, Nemo=water and Living Seas=water, lets just stick them all around the place" etc...with no relevance to the pavilion's core theming then that's bunk.

TP2000

Originally posted by Nick
Just so you know, I was at Central Shops last week. I got to see one of the Nemo "Animitronics". They aren't animitronics at all. I saw the Nemo one and all it is is a basic ECV with a character shell that some guy drives around. And the one I saw wasn't for our parks, it was for an overseas park, I think it was DLP. So there is a POSSIBILITY that the AAs everyone speaks of are not for WDW.

Yes, all animitronic work for ALL the Disney parks around the world is done in WDW's Central Shops. Just about a month ago, all the Small World animitronics from DLP (I believe) came over for rehab for their celebration.

The Nemo plastic fish on the ECV sounds exactly like the one they had in DCA last summer. And it really was just that... a plastic Nemo body that fit over the top of a standard electric wheelchair/scooter that you can rent at any theme park. It would roll out into the Paradise Pier section of DCA every hour or so and roll around. You could see the wheelchair wheels under the plastic body, it had no real animation to it besides eyes that scanned slowly back and forth, and it was clearly obvious to anyone over the age of 5 that it was a wheelchair with a big plastic fish on it.

There were a half dozen dancers in scuba outfits (old costumes from the deceased "Eureka!" parade) to dance around the Nemo wheelchair and make sure no one got close to it. You were allowed to get about 5 feet away for a picture, but you weren't allowed to get close to it or touch it. It would roll around for 20 minutes while the PA system played "Sea Cruise", and then it would drive backstage again. It was actually a very pathetic and almost pointless little show, and they stopped it at the end of summer.

If that is really the Nemo "Animatronic" that a couple other people online have mentioned seeing in WDW's Central Shops, then I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's not "animatronic" in any sense of the word, and it's not going to be very impressive if and when it does show up in a Florida Park.

Al

It will be interesting to see how disney will add Nemo in, I hope they don't detract away from the original basis of the ride though.

MagicalMonorail

When LS closes in March '04, when will it open completely again? And what kind of changes can we expect with Nemo and the big tanks? Will they be putting a ride back in? Sorry if this has already been answered!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom