Trip Report Live Trip Reporting June 27 to July 8, 2015

Hello All!

Here we are in the World...which means it is time for me to start up the Live trip reporting. If you have followed along with us before, Welcome Back! If this is your first Brifraz trip report welcome along for the ride. I try to post each day of our trip with at least a couple pictures. Mainly fun and frivolity, but also the occasional newsworthy item and a piece here or there of personal opinion.

There are three of us in the Brifraz team, myself, my wife, and our 11 year old daughter. As you can see by my signature below, we have made quite a few trips to the World. My wife and I are both high school teachers, so our trips are almost always summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. This will be our second 4th of July week in a row. If you want to read about last year, see the aforementioned signature. Also, if you want the 'pre-game' for this trip, see here.

So, yesterday, we set out from the house at 6:45pm and this morning, we pulled into the resort right around 10:15am. About 13.5 hours of driving and 2 hours of breaks. What does that mean? It's nap time! But since I doubt you want to read about us falling sound asleep in our hotel room, here's what has happened so far.

We arrived at 10:15am at which time we surprised our daughter with the news that we would be spending one night at Art of Animation. In fact, she hadn't expected us to leave until this morning, but you can read about all that in the pre-trip if you want. Check in was quick and easy and our CM, Doug, was exceptional.

After check-in, we went right to our room on the top floor of the Little Mermaid building 7. This being our first time here, we are quite impressed with the room. Very nice and a little more spacious than I was expecting. Had a little trouble with some magic bands that weren't activated, but once that got resolved (over the phone - our daughter's worked so we could get in the room, but ours didn't) we changed into swimwear and toured the resort grounds before hitting the pool. The theming here is great. We have been to All-Stars before and find this MUCH more satisfying. That being said, we are quite spoiled by our DVC at Old Key West and the crowded-ness and noise level here is not nearly so relaxing as over there.

Once we had explored the buildings, it was pool time. After some chair searching (OK, a lot of searching...) we found a spot to stow our stuff and hit the pool.

Love the fact that every sign in the area is done with the silver fish from Finding Nemo. Our daughter loved the music playing underwater. Hate the fact that towels are not readily available. Evidently they are first thing in the morning, but otherwise you have to get them at the front desk. Oh well, air drying was fine for us. After a bit of playing, a storm started to roll in, so it was out of the pool. It did allow for a nice picture of an empty Big Blue Pool.

We headed into Landscape of Flavors and got some lunch. My wife had a burger (not sure what all was topping it) and my daughter and I split the make-your-own pasta - spaghetti with alfredo, chicken, garlic, and parmesan. I was pretty happy with the size of the portion and the three of us all got enough to eat from just the two meals. If you are going to visit, please note that they accept Tables in Wonderland there since they don't have a table service restaurant in the resort. Can't beat 20% savings!

After this bit of rest, we are thinking of going over to Studios for a quick Frozen-themed visit (sing along and fireworks). I am a bit Frozen-ed out, but our daughter is still pretty obsessive about it. If you want to read more about that check out last summer's trip when we did the opening night of the Frozen package at DHS.

If I can, I'll update on the evening tonight. If not, we will be heading to Universal tomorrow for IOA (but not Potter, yet) and will update after that!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are the promised pictures from yesterday morning at Universal and Islands of Adventure.

Gringotts entry hallway and newspapers in the Gringotts queue.

Inside the Ollivander's Wand Choosing show and Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Somebody with a magical names exotic animal shop and the dragon on top of Gringotts.

The Hogwarts Express engine and our daughter on platform 9 and 3/4 with Hedwig.

The tri-Wizard show at IOA Hogsmeade and our daughter chatting up the Knight Bus conductor (and talking head).

Disaster! with our daughter filming her scene.

Tonight I will try to finish up yesterday evening with our visit to Magic Kingdom and Wishes FP+ and today's return to Universal. It is once again thunderstorming outside and we were hoping for some relaxing pool time tonight...so, off to the Community Hall (and the Gurgling Suitcase) for activities (and perhaps a drink).

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OK, ok...I did promise to finish up July 6th tonight before sleep. But, it has been a long 4 hours at the Suitcase/Pool/Fire Pit...

Anyway, here goes!

After an extended return to our room with napping, relaxing, dinner, and swimming at the Turtle Pond quiet pool we headed back into Magic Kingdom. We had FP+ for Buzz, Haunted Mansion, and Wishes. It's funny, I've always felt like Buzz is THE worst queue on earth. It has almost nothing of interest until the Buzz animatronic and is always dirty and just feels shabby. But, after a day at Universal and quite a few shabby switchback queues, it didn't feel quite as bad... We did enjoy Buzz and I showed by daughter some of the 'secret' things to shoot to get more points. Then over to Haunted Mansion where, for some unknown reason, our daughter was asking questions of every scene and character throughout the ride. Guess that nap had given her a new found energy and curiousity! It was right about 9pm at that point so we headed to the Wishes FP+ viewing area. We had read reviews about sitting all evening and enjoying and lots of space...not the case at all. It was pretty darn packed in there. At 9:30pm a CM came through and told everyone that they had to stand for the rest and so we did. It got very crowded and we definitely had to stand for everyone to fit. That being said, it was better than the chaos and anarchy of Main Street or the rest of the hub, that's for sure. We enjoyed the parade from there (not the best view) and both Celebrate the Magic (castle projection show) and Wishes! Here are a couple pics for your enjoyment.

Tomorrow we bid farewell to Disney (and Universal) with a possible morning visit to Studios followed by some Epcot time. Still not definite on our last day plans. If I am up early enough, I will post today's activity (July 7) before our final day happens. Lots of thoughts on Universal still to come!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here we go! The girls are doing Sum of All Thrills, so I'll post our last full day. We started a bit earlier so as to get to Universal before 8am this time and we had no problems getting in. Still some less than clear signage but we were in USF by 7:45am and right in line for Minion Mayhem. Which meant at 8 we were right in. Fun ride/simulator/movie thing. Very well done film with it, I thought.

Then over to Rip Ride Rocket which was a girls only ride. And they did it twice in a row no waiting! Meanwhile I went in search of The refillable Coke freestyle. Which was to no avail as none of the places were open yet! Oh well, their loss. Once the girls were done we headed to the Simpsons ride via the Transformers ride. Transformers to me was just Spider-Man with different characters. Simpsons was also similar in terms of ride but with a little Soarin thrown in. Lots of people talk about how much faster Universal finishes new attractions, but to me they all seem almost the same with different video... Oh yeah, along the way I also got to see some props from one of my fav film series.

Following the Simpsons we decided to do Men in Black again as our daughter really liked it. So, 6 rides in and it was just 9:30. Back to Diagonal Alley for a refreshment and more magic wand fun.

Since we were 'in the U.K.' it was mid afternoon and the beer was ok, right?? We explored a bit and then took the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade where the girls did Forbidden Journey again while I explored. Spots like this bug me a little.

The girls finished their tide and trained back over to Diagon where the Gringotts line was only 20 minutes. So on we went. And stuck we got! At the 45 degree tilt down. For about 10 minutes. Luckily after 5 they leveled us out.

Once we finally went through we got Express Passes for one other ride. First lunch at Mel's Diner which was exactly as expected from Mel's Diner. Then over to Minion Mayhem for another ride with our Passes. Ok, girls are done so I'll pick up with more later!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, when last I left you, we were riding Minion Mayhem with our Express Passes. Comments on Express Passes to come later, but suffice to say, we enjoyed the ride once again and then headed out of the park. It was about 2pm. Once back to the room it was time for a nap for all. And nap we did. For over an hour - obviously a much needed nap! Once awake, we had dinner in our room as the thunder storms rolled in and then headed to the Hospitality House for a relaxing evening of a few drinks and pool time, etc.

Since the pool was closed for the thunder, we started with a couple drinks and a round of foosball.

Then the pool opened, so my daughter and I swam for a while and my wife enjoyed the company at the Gurgling Suitcase. After some pool time, I headed back into the Suitcase for another round while my daughter rode the water slide a few more times. Finally around 9pm we were all enjoying one last round and some snacks before heading back to our room for some packing and final prep.

Since I literally just got out of 16 hours in the car, the last day update is going to have to wait a little...see you soon!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OK, much to my surprise, I am still awake, so here's the last day. (you would think with only about 4 hours sleep total since yesterday at 7am I would be sound asleep like my wife and daughter)

Slept in just a little bit until 7:15am and then finished packing the luggage and then packing the car. Always a sad activity! We had a pretty ambitious last morning plan for the morning. And here it is...in pictures and words!

8:45am in line at Hollywood Studios. It has been SO long since we entered a park at normal admission (not Extra Magic Hour) and didn't get to the gates more than 30 minutes early that we were quite shocked by the line. In we went and straight to Toy Story Midway Mania at a pretty good pace. Waited about 15-20 minutes in line which we are pretty sure was our longest line at Disney for the entire vacation (Universal was another story). We were off around 9:25 and moved at light speed over to the Animation Studio where we were among the last to get into the 9:30am presentation - Sorcerer Mickey. We didn't get to meet Hiro and Baymax as they weren't coming out until 10:30am and there was already a line started, but I did want a picture of the Meet and Greet.

After our final Animation Academy (perhaps ever??) we moved into maximum warp and got to Tower of Terror in just 5 minutes to use our FP+ (that we had booked just the day before).

Soon as we exited the Tower, we headed to Rockin' Roller Coaster which basically meant that within an hour and a half of park opening, we had hit all three headliners AND taken a 30 minutes animation class. And, with that, we were out of Studios and headed to Epcot.

The highest Epcot priority was for the girls to do Sum of All Thrills, so instead of taking the long parking process and then sitting while they rode, I used Guest Drop-Off to get them right up by the gates and then circled back to normal parking. Worked like a charm as they were almost to the front of the line when I got inside.

That's when I did the posting from yesterday! When they were done their 5 inversion coaster simulation, we headed to World Showcase for a last couple pints with Carl at Rose and Crown. As always, great times and company. Our daughter did a couple of Perry adventures in the UK and France and I dashed over to American Adventure to get some simple/safe lunch before our drive.

A hour or so later, we were headed out of the park and into the car. And 16 hours later here we are at home. Lots of closing thoughts will be coming your way once my brain is back to full functionality (and the lawn is mowed - yikes!).

DsnyFevr

I enjoyed reading all your posts, too bad I read them on trip home as we were there July 1-8 and were in MK and EP same times you were. We are doing Universal when we go back in Dec for the first time in 5 years. We are DVC also so just do WDW three times a year. We go down every July 4th the storms seemed way worse this year. Thank You for showing us your trip, it was fun to see how someone else uses their time in WDW.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I enjoyed reading all your posts, too bad I read them on trip home as we were there July 1-8 and were in MK and EP same times you were. We are doing Universal when we go back in Dec for the first time in 5 years. We are DVC also so just do WDW three times a year. We go down every July 4th the storms seemed way worse this year. Thank You for showing us your trip, it was fun to see how someone else uses their time in WDW.

I definitely feel like the storms were worse this year as well. Last year was our first July 4th and while there were storms most days it was nothing like this year!

We will also be down in December - 24th through January 2nd. Will we see you there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom