Live shows on the Disney Dream

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Ok, this is just a place to talk about the shows and what you liked or didn't like about the live shows in the Walt Disney Theater on the Disney Dream.

To refresh everyone's memory, the shows are The Golden Mickeys, Villains Tonight, and Believe.

For the record, my favorite show has always been the Golden Mickeys. It was, IMHO, by far the best show on the classic ships and it is still really, really good after undergoing some changes. The changes? Well, obviously Roy Disney no longer calls during the show to re-assure Ensign Benson. That role is now performed by Bob Iger, and he does a good job. It's just a little sad not to hear Roy mention that he knew Mickey personally. Also, Angela Lansbury is no longer part of the show. I always loved how she paused slightly as she said "Hello, Ensign Benson", as if she couldn't believe she was talking to somebody with such a ridiculous name. Ms. Lansbury's role is now played by Anika Noni Rose, who played Tiana in "The Princess and the Frog".

The biggest change (for me) in the selection of songs was the removal of "Shoo-Be-Doo". I really liked that one. Ensign Benson danced in it and Turk was in it. Plus the song is really catchy. So I was sad to see that one go.

But the songs that they put into the new version are hard to argue with. Instead of "Shoo-Be-Doo", they now perform "Under the Sea", with Ariel 'swimming' above the stage. Ensign Benson dresses up in a ridiculously silly and cute octopus costume and dances. This was a very fun number.

They also added "I See the Light", from Tangled; and it's a wonderful scene. Rapunzel begins the song from one of the balconies, then joins Eugene onstage in a boat as the lanterns float around them. It's really nice.

And they also added a big number from The Princess and the Frog: a medley of "Dig a Little Deeper" and "Down in New Orleans". That was a fun number.

So while I do miss the things that they took out, I have to say that I really like what they did to update it. Ok, that's enough for an initial post. Somebody else chime in and then I'll comment on the other shows.

Proof that Golden Mickeys is my favorite show, here I am with Ensign Benson herself (from a previous cruise):

100_5774.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Be. . . our. . . guest!
Be our guest!
Put our servers to the test!
Place the keyboard on your lap, cherie,
Let your fingers do the rest!

:lol: Okay!

Villians is hit or miss for me. I've been in performances where every joke hit, and some where only a few did. I think it's funny and I enjoy it but would I be sad if they replaced it? No.:)

I enjoyed Believe so much more than I thought I would. I heard it was a sweet tear jerker and I have a confession to make.

I'm just not as emotional about Disney as some people. I love all things Disney and I enjoy every second I spend with Disney, but I don't tear up when I see a picture of Walt. I tear up when I have to get off the ship, definitely! :lol:

I totally get why some people are that way, it's just not me.

:lookaroun Can I say that here? :lol:

So for some reason I thought Believe was going to be a sappy kind of story along those lines. But it really wasn't, and it really got to me! I loved it!!:)

ChuckElias

Original Poster
:lol: Okay!

Villians is hit or miss for me. I've been in performances where every joke hit, and some where only a few did. I think it's funny and I enjoy it but would I be sad if they replaced it? No.:)

I enjoyed Believe so much more than I thought I would. I heard it was a sweet tear jerker and I have a confession to make.
I agree about Villains. There are a couple segments that I like and a couple that are groan-worthy. I was a little disappointed that Jafar didn't fly during the Springer segment this time. I don't know if that's a permanent change in the show or if it just didn't happen for some reason in our viewing.

Believe is essentially the exact same show as Disney Dreams, except that instead of a little girl and Peter Pan, the main characters are a grown man and Genie. I liked the musical numbers in Believe, but the story of a guy trying to get his plant to grow just left me flat. I thought it was kind of lame, to be honest, and I didn't care for the "What Makes a Garden Grow" song. So I didn't particularly like the first 5 minutes and I didn't like the last 5 minutes, but I really did like the musical segments.

I think the thing that is common to both shows that makes them hit or miss for me is the role of Genie (in Believe) and Hades (in Villains). It's the same actor, and so much of the humor seems to rely on his "ad libs". On our cruise, there was a large contingent of deaf guests and so the ASL (sign language) interpreters were at the front of the theater every night. Genie and Hades both spent LOTS of time ad libbing about the sign language and the interpreters. It was "kind of" funny, but both nights went too long and made the interpreters part of the show instead of a cute one-line observation.

For me, Villains can be really good; but I prefer Dreams to Believe.

I'm just not as emotional about Disney as some people. I love all things Disney and I enjoy every second I spend with Disney, but I don't tear up when I see a picture of Walt. I tear up when I have to get off the ship, definitely! :lol:
Blasphemy!! (Actually, I agree.) :eek:

Disneyfalcon

I agree about Villains. There are a couple segments that I like and a couple that are groan-worthy. I was a little disappointed that Jafar didn't fly during the Springer segment this time. I don't know if that's a permanent change in the show or if it just didn't happen for some reason in our viewing.

Believe is essentially the exact same show as Disney Dreams, except that instead of a little girl and Peter Pan, the main characters are a grown man and Genie. I liked the musical numbers in Believe, but the story of a guy trying to get his plant to grow just left me flat. I thought it was kind of lame, to be honest, and I didn't care for the "What Makes a Garden Grow" song. So I didn't particularly like the first 5 minutes and I didn't like the last 5 minutes, but I really did like the musical segments.

I think the thing that is common to both shows that makes them hit or miss for me is the role of Genie (in Believe) and Hades (in Villains). It's the same actor, and so much of the humor seems to rely on his "ad libs". On our cruise, there was a large contingent of deaf guests and so the ASL (sign language) interpreters were at the front of the theater every night. Genie and Hades both spent LOTS of time ad libbing about the sign language and the interpreters. It was "kind of" funny, but both nights went too long and made the interpreters part of the show instead of a cute one-line observation.

For me, Villains can be really good; but I prefer Dreams to Believe.

That's a good comparison! I didn't think of it that way. You are right, the plant thing wasn't great, but I liked the rest of it enough that it made up for it. The set for the backyard was super well done though!

Jafar didn't fly last time I saw it either.

Blasphemy!! (Actually, I agree.) :eek:

Good, I'm glad you understood what I meant and didn't kick me off the board!:lol:

tracyandalex

The Mr. and I agree with Villians not being that great. We even saw some folks leave the show we went to. We loved Golden Mickey's!! We really liked Believe, but agree with what others have said about the plant part. To be perfectly honest I had pretty much forgotten about the plant when they brought it up again at the end.

tracy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom