Live-ish Photos from the New Disney Magic!

DisneyJoe

We had 2 issues in our room:

- no toilet paper spindle
- one of the two sinks had not been sealed completely, and we were told this, and that it had been reported and may possibly be fixed while we were there. It was not. No problem, there are two sinks.

I also saw a few scuff marks on the wall, probably from luggage.

I never had the impression that the rooms were getting completely redone, except for new raised bed frames.

Ralphlaw

I do! I'll have to look! The duck butt, which is what Disney is calling the Duck Tail, is the extension on the bottom of the back of the ship. I'll see if I can find a good before and after. :)

According to Webster's Nautical Dictionary, 5th Edition: "A duck butt is the extension on your bottom after eating 3+ meals a day on a cruise ship."

I hope that helps.

DISNEY FANTASY

According to Webster's Nautical Dictionary, 5th Edition: "A duck butt is the extension on your bottom after eating 3+ meals a day on a cruise ship."

I hope that helps.

The question every man hates to be asked, the no win question.

Does my bum look big in this?

Do you tell the truth?

Do you go for the easy life and lie?

And do you allow Goofy to touch it up?

5thGenTexan

We talked to a lifeguard one night when he was watching an empty pool. He told us this was a permanent thing and would be on all of the ships within the next few weeks. There will be a lifeguard posted there during all the hours the pool is open.

They change the signs to say "Lifeguard On Duty". Emphasis from me - ON!

I think it was a wonderful decision.

Granted, we NEVER ventured to the other two pools, but both trips on the Magic there was someone at the bottom of the slide at Mickey pool watching kids come down and keeping an eye on the Mickey Pool itself.

I assume this means there will be a lifeguard on duty at all 3 pools, when they are open?

5thGenTexan

I talked to one of the bloggers for several hours on Saturday night. I don't want to put words in his mouth, so I'll refrain from saying who it was, but my impression was that he was mainly unhappy because he was led to believe from the promotional videos that the rooms would be gutted. Stripped down to bare steel and redone. I never got that impression from the videos, but I haven't gone back to watch to check.

From some of the photos during the drydock, the area where the shops are located looked to be gutted and totally redone. Perhaps this led some to believe it was shipwide.

This photo was described as a before shot:
Delante-Magic-Retail-Demo-Before.jpg

This photo was described as an after shot:
Delante-Magic-Retail-Demo-After.jpg

Last edited:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
From some of the photos during the drydock, the area where the shops are located looked to be gutted and totally redone. Perhaps this led some to believe it was shipwide.

This photo was described as a before shot:
Delante-Magic-Retail-Demo-Before.jpg

This photo was described as an after shot:
Delante-Magic-Retail-Demo-After.jpg

Oh yes, that area was definitely gutted and redone. As was topsiders. And they were great! The stores were laid out a lot better! One was definitely bigger.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Granted, we NEVER ventured to the other two pools, but both trips on the Magic there was someone at the bottom of the slide at Mickey pool watching kids come down and keeping an eye on the Mickey Pool itself.

I assume this means there will be a lifeguard on duty at all 3 pools, when they are open?

There were often people hanging around the Mickey pool, it's true. Now there is an actual, trained and uniformed life guard at the Goofy pool. I would assume there won't be any lifeguards at the adult pool.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
No pictures, but figured this article would be worth discussing:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/10/28/disney-magic-makeover-parks/3286197/
Tom Staggs talks about the future of DCL as well as the Magic overhaul decision process. He also doesn't rule out the possibility that the Wonder could receive a Overhaul two-three years from now. My favorite new area of the ship is the Marvel Avengers Academy area.

The Marvel area is excellent.

I definitely think the Wonder will go in at some point, but right now she's the only ship that will fit through the Panama Canal. So I'm sure they're hesitant to make her bigger!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yes, to my knowledge, they are not standard on any other cruise line. I think it's definitely the right decision for a cruise line that caters to families. :)

NCL always had lifeguards, have not heard anything differently. They also fly an American Flag so maybe that played into their thought process. Given this bad year with pools I hope they all start to follow suit. : )

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
NCL always had lifeguards, have not heard anything differently. They also fly an American Flag so maybe that played into their thought process. Given this bad year with pools I hope they all start to follow suit. : )

Interesting, Gabe. My understanding is that the lifeguards are not a posted position on Norwegian. I.e. there is a lifeguard there every moment the pool is open. I should call tomorrow and get clarification. But if they do, good for them too.

Also, most of Norwegian ships fly a foreign (Bahamian) flag. The Pride of America doesn't so it can do the inter-island Hawaii cruises.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Interesting, Gabe. My understanding is that the lifeguards are not a posted position on Norwegian. I.e. there is a lifeguard there every moment the pool is open. I should call tomorrow and get clarification. But if they do, good for them too.

Also, most of Norwegian ships fly a foreign (Bahamian) flag. The Pride of America doesn't so it can do the inter-island Hawaii cruises.

Thanks :D If I am wrong about lifeguards on NCL I sure want to know it!

wogwog

You invited questions so here we go.

Ok @Disneyfalcon how many times did you do the Dunk?

Not that the walt Disney Theater needed it, but any changes?

What are the shows?

Who is the Captain?

Mkmommy

Thanks :D If I am wrong about lifeguards on NCL I sure want to know it!
I just came back from the NCL Jade and as far as I saw no lifeguards at the pools. There was someone on the slide, sending people down, but did not appear to be an actual lifeguard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom