Live Action Mulan in the Works

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think we agreed already that a good movie is a good movie, sequel or not, remake or not. And I have no problem with good movies that are adaptations of previous source material (fairy tales, novels, or not).

And I also agree that this not just a problem with Disney. The bean-counters who wanted to play it safe and re-make or continue a known story have been driving decisions for years in Hollywood.

But first, that does not make the criticism invalid for Disney, just because it fits all other studios. "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?" The topic at hand was Disney doing remakes, so I answered it with respect to Disney.

Second, I do in fact think that Disney should be held to a higher creative standard, mostly because it, unlike the other studios and entertainment companies, trades on creativity and its own history of that, far and away more than any other studio does. It reminds us of it constanntly, from the theme parks to TV. Since they promote their history so much, we can expect them to be aware of it and the expectations of creativity that it inspires.

So, while I understand that "everyone's doing it," I still think it is worthy of criticism, and that Disney especially could be expected to see the value of good new material. And, yes, some of that good material (like Empire Strikes Back and Toy Story II as I previously mentioned) is good and worthy of being produced. I just don't want them to do it the lazy, cheap way, nor rely too much on it, to the detriment of new stories.

I do not know the answer to this question but I would be interested to know how many of the animation guys actually cross-over to do live action with the studio on a consistent basis as well. This is mostly a guess but I doubt it is that much.

prberk

I do not know the answer to this question but I would be interested to know how many of the animation guys actually cross-over to do live action with the studio on a consistent basis as well. This is mostly a guess but I doubt it is that much.

Don't know today, but that might be a good insight. In Walt's time, he had many of his animation people also working on other projects, including the theme parks later. Some crossed over into imagineering with WED. He thought of the studio (and especially WED) as his creative sandbox. They worked together as needed. I think we can learn from that.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
This is also a script that was written and sold to Disney. They could just buy it and sit on it if it is a bad script.

Magenta Panther

I assume they'll keep Mushu around. They probably won't bring back Eddie Murphy to do the voice, though.

This might sound odd, but I always thought that Jackie Chan should have done the voice. And that Mushu should have been a more traditional Chinese dragon - more concerned with honor and saving face instead of wanting an entourage and all that. He could have been a nice foil for Mulan's spunky nonconformist determination to replace her father as a fighter (and Mulan herself could have had a stronger personality, come to think of it). Anyway, Eddie Murphy just wasn't right for the character. I think the Disney folk were trying to come up with another Genie, but it didn't quite work out.

jensenrick

Well, I heard that they are taking out ALL the songs! Strike one. And they are removing the Shang character, and bringing in a rival slash love interest. Strike two. And seeing as I disliked the live action versions of Jungle Book and Beauty&tBeast (what a waste of time, for an animated movie I loved!) - I don't see how I bring myself to see this one.

I can't bring myself to see ANY more of the supposedly "live action" (but really LOADED with poor CGI) movies. It pains me to say it of the Disney studio, but it's true.

CJR

Yeah, just my opinion, but the studio would be right to axe this one before they get any further into the production process. They have so many other projects going on that can both be better movies and make the studio much more money. I'm not saying this would flop, but just that it probably will. I'd need to see a trailer first, but for Disney to allow this to get that far would be foolish, IMO. Just do Aladdin already.

Disney Analyst

I think it's clear by the success of Beauty and the Beast... people want these remakes to maintain the heart and soul of the originals... aka the music. Take the music out of Mulan and I no longer care.

CJR

Aladdin starts filming this summer. The plan is to do both with Mulan being released first.

I was actually aware of that, although, I'm personally only excited for one of them (and even then, only a little as I'm burned out with the remakes).

I'm curious if they're still releasing a film this July. Box Office Mojo and Wikipedia still show an untitled live action release July 28th. I can't think of anything that'll be ready, but they did surprise me with Pete's Dragon last year, which is probably one of the best remakes they've done (IMO).

BrianLo

Actually, Mulan I'm 'ok' with them taking the Jungle Book, Pete's Dragon route. Outside of fandom the songs just aren't as well known in the populace as Mermaid, B&TB, Lion King and Aladdin.

This one though needs real production sets and on location shooting. I hate to say pandering to China... but this one should very much pander to the China BO. I understand the motivation.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Latest report is they have not reached a final decision on the songs -

The new movie’s director was left a tad confused by the public outcry from fans of the movie about its movie’s soundtrack and the suggestion that it wouldn’t include the film’s original songs – like Reflection. Who doesn’t love Reflection?

Now Niki Caro has shut down further speculation over the movie’s soundtrack, or lack of, as she said: ‘I don’t know where that’s come from. We’ve never talked about songs, and no decision has been made.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/23/panic...iginal-songs-after-all-6528464/#ixzz4c9m0ePst

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/29/disney-mulan-liu-yifei/

upload_2017-11-29_14-5-47.png

Mulan has been cast - Following a worldwide search, the studio announced Wednesday that it has cast Chinese actress Liu Yifei (a.k.a. Crystal Liu) as Hua Mulan. Liu, nicknamed “Fairy Sister” in China, is one of her native country’s most popular actresses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom