Little help for want to be runner

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I agree with @Texas84. Ask your doctor first. You don't want to undue what the surgery fixed. Start with the 10K. A hot half marathon is quite challenging for a first timer. No sense in paying nearly $200 and struggling to finish...or worse, get swept. Set a more realistic goal at first. A half marathon is much more than just twice the distance of a 10K.

Jedi Osborn

Seriously, ask your doctor. If you haven't run a 10K before maybe start there.

Also, you will want an official 10K time to keep from being placed in the back corrals.
Oh, Definitely! All this is assuming the recovery goes well and the doctor approves.

So if you don't mind, I have a question about the whole coral thing.
If I don't have a POT, then I get put in the back. I get that. But then aren't I always right on the edge of being swept (based on my time) Like if I started earlier, I'd have a much bigger cushion before being swept up? And that's why you're saying I want to get that POT to avoid the back corral. Am I understanding it correctly?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh, Definitely! All this is assuming the recovery goes well and the doctor approves.

If I don't have a POT, then I get put in the back. I get that. But then aren't I always right on the edge of being swept (based on my time) Like if I started earlier, I'd have a much bigger cushion before being swept up? And that's why you're saying I want to get that POT to avoid the back corral. Am I understanding it correctly?

POT matters only if you anticipate completing the Half in under 2:45. I never submit a PoT. I just indicate I'll finish in around 3 hours. I've been in the 3rd to last corral the past 2 years.

Texas84

If you run the half a good 10K POT will get you a better corral. And what @LAKid53 said is correct.

If you only run the 10K you do not need a POT.

OG Runner

I suggest, doing the event with friends. There is a certain excitement in the crowd at a Disney event. Sharing the excitement will definitely help you reach your goal. You can do it! Enjoy the medal.

NeedMoreMickey

Original Poster
I suggest, doing the event with friends. There is a certain excitement in the crowd at a Disney event. Sharing the excitement will definitely help you reach your goal. You can do it! Enjoy the medal.
I didn't sign up for the 5K or the 10K because my sister and niece backed out. My niece is getting married in Disney May 202 so at least I still get another Disney trip.

RunningKoen

That is really too bad. Look local and just do it. I am sure the majority of the people posting on this discussion were running
other races before running a Disney race.

Definitely.

My first race was with several from my friends after a period where we all started to do a bit of 'running' for ourselves and we wanted a goal.

I'm the only one who stuck with running but that one race was enough to get me really hooked to running in general. That one particular race is still my favorite one in the Netherlands.

HiJe

I started training for last year's Star Wars 10k 8 months in advance, ran a few 5k's locally before just to see how it goes, and found online virtual races (yes.fit) where I can run at my own pace and distance for fun and still have a goal to reach. It's kept me running for a year and I have always hated running.

Surferboy567

It finally came! My first official runDisney medal!

Attachments

• 93607C84-D923-4F0B-956A-BBAD66FF869F.jpeg
    93607C84-D923-4F0B-956A-BBAD66FF869F.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 290

Surferboy567

Just noticed, I posted in the wrong thread by accident....but thanks for all the congratulations it’s a great medal! This could be the start of something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom