Little help for want to be runner

NeedMoreMickey

Original Poster
I would like to be a runner but I’m not, had both of my knees replaced 14 years ago when I was 45 so running is not an option. A few other health issues have sidelined me for a while and now I’m ready to lose weight and get back into shape. As a goal and a long time wish I want to participate in something during the Princess Half Marathon Weekend next year. Some people on the forum have mentioned if they don’t have a recorded time for a 5K or 10K they will need to start at the back of the pack with the walkers. I think maybe this could be my way to join in on the fun, I can walk without any problems. Checked out the runDisney website and I see training programs for beginning runners and was wondering if anyone else had any other help hints.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I would like to be a runner but I’m not, had both of my knees replaced 14 years ago when I was 45 so running is not an option. A few other health issues have sidelined me for a while and now I’m ready to lose weight and get back into shape. As a goal and a long time wish I want to participate in something during the Princess Half Marathon Weekend next year. Some people on the forum have mentioned if they don’t have a recorded time for a 5K or 10K they will need to start at the back of the pack with the walkers. I think maybe this could be my way to join in on the fun, I can walk without any problems. Checked out the runDisney website and I see training programs for beginning runners and was wondering if anyone else had any other help hints.

You'd be surprised the number of participants who walk either the 10K or the Half. A Proof of Time is only needed for the Half...and that's if you plan on finishing in under 2 hours and 45 minutes. If you register for the 10K, you'll be asked to provide your pace - how many minutes will it take you to do 1 mile. You're not asked for a PoT for the 5k as it's not a timed race.

I'd go with the 5K. It's a fun race, lots of walkers, couples dressed up as their favorite princess & prince. The course is through Epcot - parking lot, World Showcase, some Future World. Just note that the races start at 5:30AM...but you may not start until after 6:00AM as the corrals (3 for the 5K) are started in mini-waves. So it will be an early morning - if you're staying at a Disney resort, need to be on the bus by 4:00 AM.

I'd go with one of the Couch25k training programs. This year's Princess weekend was unseasonably warm and humid, so consider that in your training. Starting temperatures can be anywhere from just above freezing to nearly 70° at this time of the year.

Shoes. Get properly fitted for a good pair of running shoes - will help save your feet, legs and those knees. If your town has a running store (don't mean the big box stores like Academy Sports or D1cks), go see the folks there. You'll be properly measured, tested to see if you pronate or supinate, and then recommended the best shoes for you. Nothing will ruin your time more than ill fitting shoes.

I'd review the last few pages of the Princess thread in this forum. Lots of hints, comments about courses, medals, race shirts, etc. And don't be afraid to ask anything.

Good luck! And we will see you at the Princess Half Marathon 2020 weekend. And wear that medal proudly - you will have earned it

HiJe

Just start slow. I've never been a runner either, but like Forrest Gump, just felt like running one day. Bought some comfortable shoes and told myself I was going to do one lap at the slowest pace I can. Normally, I would get really painful shin splints, but after making myself go slow 3 times a week for a few months, it got easier. And the biggest hurdles are mental. Just keep going (slowly and safely) and you will get to where you are going.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Just start slow. I've never been a runner either, but like Forrest Gump, just felt like running one day. Bought some comfortable shoes and told myself I was going to do one lap at the slowest pace I can. Normally, I would get really painful shin splints, but after making myself go slow 3 times a week for a few months, it got easier. And the biggest hurdles are mental. Just keep going (slowly and safely) and you will get to where you are going.

^^THIS. Mental plays a big part of it.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@HiJe and @LAKid53 have given some solid advice. I’ll just add: don’t be afraid to adapt any training program to your own capabilities/fitness level. I started out with a couch to 5K program which started out really slow for the first 2-3 weeks (like jog/run a minute, walk 2) and then suddenly took a huge leap (like run 15 mins without stopping). I’m exaggerating a bit to make a point: you don’t have to follow any training plan to the letter if the difference between following it and not following it means getting frustrated and stopping. The folks in the running threads here are incredibly helpful - I got so much great advice as a newbie to running and so much encouragement over the past few years as I’ve continued.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 told you about the importance of getting properly fitted to shoes (wholeheartedly agree - lost a toenail my first year running because I wasn’t sized up enough) but she forgot to mention the importance of socks in the fight against blisters 😉. And like shoes, what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for someone else. My first pair of running socks seemed to do the job for me but for variety I bought a pair of socks recommended in a running article and ended up with a horrible blister during an 8k walk; won’t even wear them for just walking around town. Other than that short-lived dalliance, I have remained extremely faithful to my first brand of socks and they have rewarded me with blister free feet for nearly 4 years now 😉

HiJe

@LAKid53 told you about the importance of getting properly fitted to shoes (wholeheartedly agree - lost a toenail my first year running because I wasn’t sized up enough) but she forgot to mention the importance of socks in the fight against blisters 😉. And like shoes, what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for someone else. My first pair of running socks seemed to do the job for me but for variety I bought a pair of socks recommended in a running article and ended up with a horrible blister during an 8k walk; won’t even wear them for just walking around town. Other than that short-lived dalliance, I have remained extremely faithful to my first brand of socks and they have rewarded me with blister free feet for nearly 4 years now 😉

As weird as they feel at first, I found that the socks with individual toes on the end (Like a glove for your feet) were great with helping to prevent blisters. I also bought compression leg sleeves and wear them every time. They are supposed to help with circulation. I never noticed if these 2 things actually helped in the way they are supposed to, but mentally, it always made me feel like I won't have any issues as long as I am wearing them. Also, good comfortable shoes. I have a pair of Brooks that a running store helped to fit me with.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As weird as they feel at first, I found that the socks with individual toes on the end (Like a glove for your feet) were great with helping to prevent blisters. I also bought compression leg sleeves and wear them every time. They are supposed to help with circulation. I never noticed if these 2 things actually helped in the way they are supposed to, but mentally, it always made me feel like I won't have any issues as long as I am wearing them. Also, good comfortable shoes. I have a pair of Brooks that a running store helped to fit me with.

I tried those toe socks, as my local running store recommended them to prevent blisters. Hated them. Finally found a brand I like and I just slather every inch of my feet with Body Glide before putting on my socks.

Compression sleeves are a must for me. Used to wear them just for the 10K and Half. Now wear them for all the races I do. I have pairs in many colors to match my sparkle skirts. They really help with leg fatigue and help prevent shin splints.

Also run in Brooks. Switched when Asics started narrowing the toe box in their Nimbulous style with each successful generation. Even going to a wide didn't help. Love my Ghosts...time to break in a new pair.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Oh, @Swissmiss can confirm my struggle to find socks that didn't give me blisters..... After last year's Princess Half, I had a blister across the entire part of my foot along the bottom of my toes. And it had burst, so the skin was raw. Medical tent cleaned and dressed my foot, they had to golf cart me to the bus, help me up the stairs to a seat and then help me off at my resort. I had brought thong flip flops, but the nurse recommended I put my socks back on, so I hobbled from the bus through the lobby of Wilderness Lodge to my room...in my now ruined running socks (yes, my dear, they were Feetures). And that wasn't the only blister. I had two silver dollar size ones, in addition to the usual two, on the other foot - one on the side if my big toe and one on the side of my heel. Needless to say, I spent the remainder of my time at WDW after the races in my room, as I could not walk without pain. And I was worried about infection with that raw part of my foot. Showered with a zip lock bag taped around my foot. Not fun. Those Features are now making someone else either very happy or miserable as I donated my dozen pairs to the Shelter. And I switched to Brooks.

LAKid53

Premium Member
When @Swissmiss refers to being sized up enough, she's talking about going up 1/2 to a full size bigger. Trust me, your feet swell - both in width and length. My fairly slim feet look like little porkers after running 22.4 miles. I wear a 10 running shoe and 9 regular shoes.

NeedMoreMickey

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I usually buy my shoes at a local running store. I’ll make sure to tell them I’m going to walk at least the 5K. I used to have problems with blisters just walking around Disney until I switched to the socks I buy for walking 18 holes of golf. I’ll ask for suggestions at the shoe store. Also big fan of the body glide since learning about it on this site many years ago.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Gucci65

I lost my first (and hopefully LAST toenail) a few days ago. The shoes I ran in back in January were not the right shoes and one of my toenails turned black. I was shocked lol. When I got back home, I went to Fleet Feet and ended up with a pair of Brooks...... and went up a half size. I used them in April and was fine!! They were fantastic!! Should have done it sooner, but no I had to be a hard head and ran the past events in Nike Air

LAKid53

Premium Member
I lost my first (and hopefully LAST toenail) a few days ago. The shoes I ran in back in January were not the right shoes and one of my toenails turned black. I was shocked lol. When I got back home, I went to Fleet Feet and ended up with a pair of Brooks...... and went up a half size. I used them in April and was fine!! They were fantastic!! Should have done it sooner, but no I had to be a hard head and ran the past events in Nike Air

i ran for several years in Asics because I loved their cushioning. Even though successive versions of their shoes narrowed the toe box to the point of not only needing to go up a full size, but also a wider width. It was a Princess Half that resulted in severe blisters on both feet (one which ran the entire width of my foot just below the toes and had exposed raw skin that had to be dressed in the medical tent and limited my activity the next few days as it was painful to walk) that caused me to dump Asics and switch to Brooks. My feet, while sore after running 22.4 miles, are much happier. I love my Ghosts and Glycerins (which I wear for longer distances).

RunningKoen

I've heared the general advice to go up a size with your running shoes, because your feet get bigger during the training.

Jedi Osborn

Hey everyone! I'm considering running in the SW weekend next year. I've got knee issues as well and I'm actually having lateral release surgery in a few weeks to help with knee cap tracking and advanced arthritis. Other than that I'm fairly fit and active as I can be. Just no running yet. I'm using the SW race as a goal to get me running again and work on my aerobic activity.
I've done 5ks in the past. I was thinking about the 10k. Considering I'll have quite a few months to prepare, I wonder if the half marathon isn't a loftier goal. Like I should do the biggest one I can. Any thoughts to share?

RunningKoen

If possible, go for the half. It always has a better course with more parks. Its a bigger challenge for yourself so you can be more proud of your achievement.

But be carefull you dont overdo it and damage yourself (permanently)

Texas84

Hey everyone! I'm considering running in the SW weekend next year. I've got knee issues as well and I'm actually having lateral release surgery in a few weeks to help with knee cap tracking and advanced arthritis. Other than that I'm fairly fit and active as I can be. Just no running yet. I'm using the SW race as a goal to get me running again and work on my aerobic activity.
I've done 5ks in the past. I was thinking about the 10k. Considering I'll have quite a few months to prepare, I wonder if the half marathon isn't a loftier goal. Like I should do the biggest one I can. Any thoughts to share?
Seriously, ask your doctor. If you haven't run a 10K before maybe start there.

Also, you will want an official 10K time to keep from being placed in the back corrals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom