Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

Sir_Cliff

This.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that the animals in The Lion King are too human-like to fit in Animal Kingdom, but movies that are actually about humans like Encanto and Indiana Jones are fine because the animals in them don't talk. What, does Tangled belong in Animal Kingdom just because of the chameleon and horse?
I feel like people on both sides of this are equally puzzled at why the other side isn't understanding their points.

No-one is saying that Encanto or Indiana Jones are inherently great fits for Animal Kingdom just because they have animals in them that don't talk. What some of us are saying is that you can imagine attractions that focus on the relationship between people and animals/nature that would broadly fit within the park based on the way this relationship is portrayed in the films. If you had, for example, a book report ride of Encanto or a carbon copy of IJA from Disneyland, however, that also wouldn't fit the park well.

The Lion King is a film featuring animated lions and other animals standing in for human characters with human motivations. It is not a story about how animals live and relate to one another in the real world, however great Circle of Life may be. So, if you just basically put down a book report ride based on a human story performed by anthropormophized animals without any other element it sits weirdly amidst a park with a very realistic aesthetic, real animals, and attractions that have so far mostly avoided a Fantasyland-style portrayal of animals as being just like people.

Last edited:
First, since when is this park required to only focus on the interaction of man and animals? Why is the interaction of animals and animals not enough at a park called Animal Kingdom? Why can’t learning about animal interactions help man be better at interacting with animals? Why can’t man learn to take a break from itself sometimes? I digress.

Second, this gripe about it being a book report ride comes down to personal preference for an original story; not a requirement for the park to fulfill its objectives. Countdown to Extinction would’ve been a book report ride if they had happened to make a movie or book about it beforehand — and doing so would’ve made it no less relevant to the park. There is nothing inherently at odds about Animal Kingdom and the ability to experience stories that were previously told in some way if they highlight animals or help us learn about animals. There is a valid broader argument about recent lack of originality at Disney parks on the whole, but I don’t find this proposed ride at this proposed park to be an offender when everything is so perfect about it.

Third, and the silliest point to have to make: The Lion King is a movie about animals. Period. Whether some plot points come from Hamlet or not, whether they speak English or Swahili or sing or not, the story has been adapted to represent a fictional animal “kingdom” (pun intended). The movie does not work if you keep all the scenes and dialogue and replace the characters with humans doing the same things. Because they’re not doing human things. They’re doing animal things, like roaring and hunting in the tall grass. It’s not about human society or human concerns. Lions do have power and succession struggles. Lions can feel sadness and depression. Hyenas do hunt in packs and prey on lion cubs. Warthogs do charge with their tusks. Mandrills do hold up newborn lion cubs off the side of cliffs to announce their birth to audiences of zebras giraffes and elephants (ok that’s a stretch but humans don’t do that either — this is fiction people!!)

“Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.”

“But don’t we eat the antelope?”

“Yes, Simba. But let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass and the antelope eat the grass, and so we are all connected in the great circle of life.”

That ain’t Hamlet

Sir_Cliff

Third, and the silliest point to have to make: The Lion King is a movie about animals. Period.
It really isn't. Animal behaviours may be incorporated into the film and the setting certainly influences how the film's messages are communicated more generally. However, beyond some of these more superficial characteristics, it really is not a film aimed to shine a light on how animals live and love.

Purduevian

… Except you would have to make it look like something of a level of finish consistent with the rest of the village, not some multimillion-dollar animatronic masterpiece. Also, that is effectively what FotLK already does, just with the villagers as puppeteers and acrobats.
Did I not mention this entrepreneur is friends with Harrison Hightower III whom he met on his travels? Harrison gave him a substantial loan to make the best attraction possible.

I guess my point is sometimes backstory drives creative decisions and sometimes mandates drive convoluted backstories. Everyone seems to be impressed with the C&H backstory, but that was really made out of necessity because AK needed more ride capacity as cheaply and quickly as possible. I'm sure imagineering can figure something similar out for why there is an incredible flume ride tucked into the village of Harambe. Throw in a SEA reference and everyone will be happy.

I'm not particularly opposed to a Lion King ride at AK but I don't think this is a strong argument for it. Just because Disney made a bad decision years ago doesn’t mean that should be the benchmark. Surely we’re aiming for a much higher standard than Dinorama.
I was responding to this:
No one's asking the park to adhere to standards beyond those that it already established for itself when it opened. Are we seriously at the point where it's considered snooty to hope that what gets built fits well within the themes Animal Kingdom had zero trouble following for the past quarter century?
My point was, they have not always done this, I agree Dinorama was a bad decision, but we've all lived with it for decades. I think LK flume ride is a significantly better decision than Dinorama.

Sneakman

I'm not pro or anti Lion King in DAK.

I am pro-English and Reading class!
Lion king in DAK could be pretty fun! And I have a feeling that imagineers are aware to respect the park and not just slap things in there, especially from what we have seen of tropical Americas so far in the leaked concept art.

This could have been a good idea 20 years ago, when they were doing more exciting rides mixed with the disney charm. Maybe im just sick of the lion king but I feel the imagineers would make the ride even more boring than the movie.

Would 100% take a ride based on any jungle book movie over this.

Moth

Lion King needs to be in Animal Kingdom way before a JB ride is even mentioned. It's baked in the park's DNA it's also in my opinion a way better movie to adapt a theme park attraction. JB isn't a bad property by any means but I am baffled Lion King has never had a fully fledged attraction.
I feel that it's so baked into the park's DNA that if TLK didn't set the world on fire, there wouldn't BE a DAK.

BrianLo

Apologies to anyone who may have actually pointed this out, because I don't think anyone noticed this detail on these forums. Just heard it on a podcast and it's indeed there... There's a Lion on the Tree of Life (in addition to Mickeys rock looking like Pride rock, which was discussed).

DXD23_2024-1536x864.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-07-23 at 2.18.50 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom