Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

James Alucobond

So talking animals don't belong in Animal Kingdom, but magical houses, aliens, and time travel are fine with you?

The animals in Encanto aren't even major characters. That's the main reason why we're saying Encanto doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom.
You don’t understand; some of those animals pass gas. Completely unrealistic. :p

I also am lost in the acceptance of sci-fi and the supernatural while lamenting possible cartoon animals.
Animals whose primary concerns are human or human-adjacent concerns don't belong in Animal Kingdom. This is not a difficult concept. The Lion King has a few elements in the source film that one could extract and focus on to mesh with the park's themes, but not as a straight drag-and-drop of the original story. It's not that the animals represented in the park absolutely can't talk or be stylized under any circumstance, but the more human qualities you pile upon them, the harder you have to push against that to actually convey the themes correctly. The humans in these scenarios having access to science or magic doesn't fundamentally alter the animals; it offers new and unexpected ways to interact with them.

easyrowrdw

I know the in-park logic of Chester and Hesters roadside attraction for people visiting the area for the dino institute backstory. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember anything about dinorama relating to conservation, man's relationship to nature, or a call to action.

If I'm wrong and it actually is in there. I'm sure a Lion King ride can fit the theme as well as a roadside wild mouse rollercoaster.
I'm not particularly opposed to a Lion King ride at AK but I don't think this is a strong argument for it. Just because Disney made a bad decision years ago doesn’t mean that should be the benchmark. Surely we’re aiming for a much higher standard than Dinorama.

MerlinTheGoat

Do you feel like the story of The Lion King was designed to explore the mating habits and social dynamics of wild lions?
1721693541055.png

Face it, you walked right into this one...

doctornick

The characters in Lion King are animals living animal lives but we just understand them. They aren’t Zootopia-esque humans in animals skins.

Does the plot of the film have them doing actions that are accurate depictions of how Lions, etc behave? Of course not because that would be a boring film. But the premise is still real animals encountering an abnormal situation. I mean the big zinger of a song that leads the film is talking about the Circle of Life. and they do talk engage in actual environmental situations.

Would I like a book report ride in DAK? Wouldn’t be ideal and I’d rather see something that uses the characters to engage about more environmental issues or wildlife behavior. Maybe sort of like the old Epcot film but more showing and less telling. But I wouldn’t feel like even a book report would be that incongruent with the park.

I’d be curious as to what would be the premise, especially as a TLK ride was previously developed specifically for DAK - when Rohde was running things in fact - at the time the FOTLK show was moved.

I actually agree with the point that the cartoony nature would contrast with the rest of realistic Harambe (even the theatre). Ironically this could be solved by using the (less enjoyed) live action version.* I guess my way of dealing with that would be to try to set it apart more from the town and have it be more “wild” and “jungle like” to try to sell the difference from the human inhabited areas and that you are now in an animal area. I dunno. I think WDI could effectively come up with a way to harmonize it.

*As an aside, I think the live action Jungle Book is actually the superior version and I’d support using that as the basis for a ride in Asia.

Moth

For whatever reason the thought of a Jungle Book ride does illicit more of a positive response from me than a Lion King ride. Probably most of it having to do with the setting and just the fact that it’s easier for me to visualize as an attraction. I also think that it will probably be harder to meet expectations on a Lion King ride. With a Jungle Book ride i feel like it’s the kind of IP that people would just be happy to see have some representation in the parks and would be less hard on it.

Also Baloo and King Louie. Bear Necessities. I wanna be like you. Yeah the songs, characters and setting just kind of do it for me. The park could also use some classic Disney.
The Jungle Book has a more outright connection to man and nature than The Lion King, it's why both the stories and film stood the test of time. It's just a timeless story on how man and nature interact that fits into DAK cleaner than Lion Hamlet.

mickEblu

The Jungle Book has a more outright connection to man and nature than The Lion King, it's why both the stories and film stood the test of time. It's just a timeless story on how man and nature interact that fits into DAK cleaner than Lion Hamlet.

Right and Lion King is also heavily represented. Jungle Book would be a nice breath of fresh air. It kind of just gives me more of the warm and fuzzies and I think would translate better into a theme park attraction even though Lion King is the better movie by far.

mickEblu

God I wish. I LOVEEE the Jungle Book, but nah. I haven't heard anything about it sadly.

Investment seems focused on post 2000s IP largely barring notable exclusions (ex: the topic of this thread).

😕

Well Disney, if you’re listening put a Jungle Book ride somewhere in DL forward. Would it be redundant in or near the same park with a Jungle Cruise? Maybe. Regardless I’d like to see some room carved out at DL forward for some classic and Renaissance IP that doesn’t have representation. Jungle Book, BatB and Aladdin would be at the top of the list for me. Red Rose Tavern doesn’t cut it and we need that E ticket suspended Aladdin ride. Think Shanghai Pan but bigger. Especially if they’re not making Coco a traditional suspended ride. Have you heard anything about a Coco ride for DCA?

doctornick

There are definitely no famous human stories about a prince who seeks revenge on his fratricidal uncle.
Certainly. But it is unheard of for an animal to defeat the leader of his group of animals in order to take over? Obviously the characters in TLK have some human qualities - to make them interesting and relatable - but in a big picture sense they are still animals behaving as animals. They certainly fit the “no pants” rule.

The major difference between THE LION KING & THE JUNGLE BOOK is one IP is a multi billion dollar franchise & the other is somewhat irrelevant. Regardless of it being perhaps more of a fit for the park. The Lion King is literally about animals in the african savannah. lol. If we are finding issues with this, than I don't think they have many (if any) alternatives up their sleeve that won't upset people.

BrianLo

The major difference between THE LION KING & THE JUNGLE BOOK is one IP is a multi billion dollar franchise & the other is somewhat irrelevant. Regardless of it being perhaps more of a fit for the park. The Lion King is literally about animals in the african savannah. lol. If we are finding issues with this, than I don't think they have many (if any) alternatives up their sleeve that won't upset people.

Ok, just missed the cut off.

If we were to have seen this, it would have been the John Favreau film. I think the window has now mostly closed. Much like the weird time capsule that is Shanghai capturing Tim Burton's Alice.

Brer Panther

The characters in Lion King are animals living animal lives but we just understand them. They aren’t Zootopia-esque humans in animals skins.

Does the plot of the film have them doing actions that are accurate depictions of how Lions, etc behave? Of course not because that would be a boring film. But the premise is still real animals encountering an abnormal situation. I mean the big zinger of a song that leads the film is talking about the Circle of Life. and they do talk engage in actual environmental situations.
This.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that the animals in The Lion King are too human-like to fit in Animal Kingdom, but movies that are actually about humans like Encanto and Indiana Jones are fine because the animals in them don't talk. What, does Tangled belong in Animal Kingdom just because of the chameleon and horse?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom