Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
They had better keep the lights on.
Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

monothingie

Premium Member
For clarity's sake, I wouldn't be shocked to see some elevation changes worked into the "lesser" version of LK concept... but the difference is still there.
I guess if they can have Frozen and The Gran Fiesta Tour next to each other in Epcot, then this and Navi can coexist.

But I'm drawing a blank, how does a water based ride thematically fit into the Lion King Movies. I don't recall water playing an important story role in the movies?

ToTBellHop

I guess if they can have Frozen and The Gran Fiesta Tour next to each other in Epcot, then this and Navi can coexist.

But I'm drawing a blank, how does a water based ride thematically fit into the Lion King Movies. I don't recall water playing an important story role in the movies?
Actually a pretty strong conservation message with Scar abusing the land and drying up the rivers causing famine. Meanwhile, the oasis where Timon and Pumbaa live has waterfalls and rivers.

Works for me. I became a man playing the impossible SNES game when I was 9. Simba is awful at jumping over rivers. Loser.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I'd say in this case, it's a just a solid way of making the ride system look as organic as possible without presenting tracks or other distracting mechanical aspects. There's plenty of water and streams noticeably present in the movie, with the animals swimming or passing through them. Including in at least four of the songs. Circle of Life, Can't Wait to Be King (which literally takes place at the "watering hole", Hakuna Matata and Can You Feel the Love Tonight (the latter two even have characters swimming in these streams). Even for as dry as the elephant graveyard can appear to be, it's still filled with hot springs and geysers. Thinking about it, i'd say water is a fairly common element in the film and does feature heavily. It's only after Scar takes over is there a drought, which is noted in the story. And it begins to clear up when Simba returns and a huge rainstorm hits.

How did water tie in to Song of the South
I mean, the animated segments did have plenty of water. Particularly with characters fishing, and the inclusion of frogs. Even in the live action bits, Uncle Remus would often go fishing too. Here's a piece of concept art for the film by Mary Blair, and there are scenes very similar to it throughout the film-

1713387002048.png

Casper Gutman

I should interject. This might not be a clone of the Paris project, rather a plan previously designed specifically for AK. I imagine we will see shared efforts in character manufacturing, but there's a good chance this is a smaller-scale, traditional flume.
May I ask what “traditional” means in this context?

MerlinTheGoat

Actually a pretty strong conservation message with Scar abusing the land and drying up the rivers causing famine. Meanwhile, the oasis where Timon and Pumbaa live has waterfalls and rivers.

Works for me. I became a man playing the impossible SNES game when I was 9. Silva is awful at jumping over rivers. Loser.
Oh you grew up with that game too, huh?

1713387092539.png

And yeah, the oasis is absolutely full of lush rivers and waterfalls. Really gorgeous part of the film too.

1713387281571.png

1713387401892.png

1713387431315.png

doctornick

Duh.

I forget that FEA has a drop because it doesn't make any sense at all in the context of the ride. I actually forget that POTC has drops too because they're kind of superfluous (if they didn't exist it wouldn't affect the attraction quality even slightly for me).

The discussion wasn't about quality of the ride, but about thrill level so the presence (or lack thereof) and intensity of drops is quite relevant.

doctornick

Why would it matter unless the water is part of the story of the ride? It seems like that it is a method of conveyance and not necessarily "part of" the world of the ride. I don't think (for example) we are meant to believe that there are actual vehicles on a track going through the HM as part of that ride.

monothingie

Premium Member
Why would it matter unless the water is part of the story of the ride? It seems like that it is a method of conveyance and not necessarily "part of" the world of the ride. I don't think (for example) we are meant to believe that there are actual vehicles on a track going through the HM as part of that ride.
You wouldn’t do Pirates of the Caribbean without it being a water based ride, similarly you wouldn’t make Space Mountain a water based ride.

While I understand that thematically it could work, a water based attraction is not the first thing that comes to my mind if I could have an attraction based on TLK.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

You wouldn’t do Pirates of the Caribbean without it being a water based ride, similarly you wouldn’t make Space Mountain a water based ride.

While I understand that thematically it could work, a water based attraction is not the first thing that comes to my mind first if I could have an attraction based on TLK.
I just hope the rooms have a grand scale like most water rides. FEA has such tiny, narrow spaces throughout the middle after a strong start, and it really detracts from the experience.

The oasis is pretty easy, but the Pride Lands are a wide open space. I’ll be curious to see how they portray that region if this is built. Circle of Life and Just Can’t Wait to be King really call for a large room that the boat meanders through for awhile. Other songs could be a bit more intimate.

UNCgolf

The discussion wasn't about quality of the ride, but about thrill level so the presence (or lack thereof) and intensity of drops is quite relevant.

That was the whole point of the comment you quoted, and why I said duh. I don't really think about FEA or POTC having drops (even though they obviously do), as I mentioned, so I completely missed on the comparison.

Last edited:

monothingie

Premium Member
I just hope the rooms have a grand scale like most water rides. FEA has such tiny, narrow spaces throughout the middle after a strong start, and it really detracts from the experience.

The oasis is pretty easy, but the Pride Lands are a wide open space. I’ll be curious to see how they portray that region if this is built. Circle of Life and Just Can’t Wait to be King really call for a large room that the boat meanders through for awhile. Other songs could be a bit more intimate.
Screens? The closest thing I can equate it would be TLM at MK with the large number of simple AAs. But it would have to be very high quality to pull it off.

Eric Graham

The Lion King is such a wonderful movie, and the musical is so good as well. I loved the opening of the musical where all the puppet animals come out. And, also, the wonderful performer that I saw from the musical also played Scar on Broadway. He was so awesome. It would be so wonderful if they put a Frozen land somewhere like they have in Tokyo at Disney World!

mickEblu

I hope one of the former two. To be honest, the park needs far more calm rides that can be enjoyed by as many people as possible. There are too many rides with height requirements or limits for people who have an aversion to thrills or have medical issues preventing them from going on thrilling attractions. That's one reason why I'm much more soft on Navi River than a lot of other people are.

Which POTC are we talking about? POTC at Disneyland is like the 4th most thrilling ride in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom