Linking credit card to magic band

JohnD

We were at AK yesterday and the wife linked her credit card to the magic band so she would not have to carry the credit card. Seems while we were at AK there was a computer glitch and the credit card was removed from the MB, could not buy lunch --nothing. She called guest services and was told use your credit card. Duh! that's why we linked the credit card so she didn't have to carry it. The wife was told she would have a limit of 50 dollars on the MB while in the park but would have to go back to POFQ to get it relinked. Long story short 50 limit never happened. Learned--- all ways carry cash or a credit card in your pocket. She was told when relinking at POFQ they have been having problems--- so glad they told us

I thought you could only link your MB to your room. Yes, there is a credit card on file with the resort so the card ultimately gets charged via room charges. My understanding is that you can't directly link an MB to a credit card.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I thought you could only link your MB to your room. Yes, there is a credit card on file with the resort so the card ultimately gets charged via room charges. My understanding is that you can't directly link an MB to a credit card.

You are correct. If you add a credit card into your My Disney Experience account it does not add charging privileges to any associated MagicBand or card. Charging privileges on a MagicBand is only available via an account set up with your active room reservation when you check into the hotel. While it might be the same card as on your MDE account, the charges are going to the room folio, not the card directly if you have authorized purchases via MagicBand.

Simply logging into MDE and adding a credit card is only used to hold dining reservations and if you choose to leave it there you can use it as a stored card on your account so you don't need to re-enter the card each time you make a purchase through the site/app. For example, having a card stored there can be used for Mobile Order via the MDE app which I do all the time. However, that same card stored in the MDE account can not be used via a MagicBand if I got in a normal line at that same counter service restaurant to order my food.

thomas998

That removes 1 of the top most common pins... The fact that they don't let you use the same number over and over removes 10 of the top 20 guesses that generally net you about 25% of the pins. The real question then becomes how many times would a CM let you try to enter a PIN before they became suspicious? You probably get 2 without them batting an eye... So if you try two time before paying in cash for your drink... You would then likely assume a 5 drink cost to get a 25% chance of a cracked pin. IF you got the pin you then go on your spending spree for couple of days since guest won't know what has been charged up until they are checking out and get a surprise.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Also, doesn't Disney take Apple Pay??? Put a card on your phone.

WDW does indeed take ApplePay and most other contactless payment methods like Android Pay or Samsung Pay; I use Apple Pay all the time. That does work most everywhere but does not work at most table service restaurants nor at some of the non-Disney operated locations who can take Magic Band but not other contactless payment methods which are common in World Showcase and Disney Springs. In the end, there is no 100% solution when it comes to completing a payment transaction when you are at Walt Disney World. I have found that no matter what you're doing, you'll also want to have a card with you just in case or accept a few constraints.

Patcheslee

Most people carry their phones to Disney so you can also have your credit cards linked to your phone for payment via Apple Pay or Google pay (which Disney World accepts) so you still don't need to carry your credit cards with you.
Only used Google pay 1 time and it was just a month ago. I had 5 pending transactions for $0, and a single transaction for the actual cost. They all stayed pending for a week, so I won't use it again.

RoyWalley

Only used Google pay 1 time and it was just a month ago. I had 5 pending transactions for $0, and a single transaction for the actual cost. They all stayed pending for a week, so I won't use it again.

So 5 authorizations for zero dollars and then the actual auth. No harm done in reality, not sure why it would do that. Have to check with your credit card issuer. I have used Apple pay many times and never once had an issue with it. Sorry to hear about that, again it was just a suggestion (option) regarding bringing a card with you to the parks or not.

donsullivan

Premium Member
@donsullivan doing the Lord's work in here.

Also, I'm pretty shocked how many grown adults apparently travel without photo ID. You should never be anywhere without photo ID.

I too am amazed that this many people would go out in public like that without any form of ID on them. I'm likely just showing my age but I would never intentionally go anywhere without some sort of ID on me such as a driver's license. You never know when I might be in some sort of accident where that may become important.

Patcheslee

So 5 authorizations for zero dollars and then the actual auth. No harm done in reality, not sure why it would do that. Have to check with your credit card issuer. I have used Apple pay many times and never once had an issue with it. Sorry to hear about that, again it was just a suggestion (option) regarding bringing a card with you to the parks or not.
The only other time I see pending that don't reflect actual charge is at gas stations using my CC. Usually $1 changes to actual amount once processed, so the $0 pending multiple times is a red flag until it can be explained, processed through, or removed. But I haven't had multiple for the exact same transaction.

I am Timmy

So, if you use Disney GC and keep them in an RFID protected wallet, would this work? Or any card, for that matter. Also, if the wifi isn't working in the park, would that effect your ability to use a cc or gc. or magic band? Asking because someone reported awhile being told they couldn't use their GC to pay because the wifi was down, so they paid cash.

EvanAnderson

I don't think I would be linking them in the first place do to the possibility of someone cloning my magicband and figuring out my pin. Though the bigger risk would just be from a hacker following a guest when they left their room, cloning their magic band and then going back to the guest's room and robbing them blind.
You don't put your finger on the glass do you?

I'm wondering if this was caused by the new credit card authorization hold policy. There are several threads about this on other boards, and we had problems charging with our MBs the first week of May. We keep a credit card attached to my husband’s MDE at all times to use online check In and make dining reservations. The first time we tried to charge with the band at SSR it was denied and we had to go to the front desk to add our credit card again. On day 5 when our credit card was charged and another hold took effect, our method of payment was again knocked off of our account and we had to go to the front desk to add it a second time. The CMs said this is a glitch that has been happening frequently over the last two months - since the time the new policy went into effect. Don't have time to go into it, but some think the holds are triggering fraud alerts to the banks.

We had the same problem as the OP in the MK at the beginning of this week. It was day 5 or 6 of our trip when my wife went to get some funnel cakes in Liberty Square when her magic band got rejected. As a side note, I had bought breakfast that morning at the hotel with my magic band without any problems. My wife called me over and, luckily, I always carry my license and credit card with me despite having the magic band. However, by the time I got to the counter, the CM checking her out said that it was on Mickey, which was awesome. She referred me to guest services in the park, but they told me I had to contact the hotel. When I went back there, the CM at the desk apologized and said she's had several people over the past several weeks.

She attributed it to a new system update "several weeks" prior in how the magic bands interact with the credit cards, likely the new credit card authorization policy already mentioned. She said that the system clears the account and charges the credit card for all the charges up to that point at some point during one's stay. For some people, it deletes the card from the system after that, which is what happened to me. She was able to remedy it quickly for me. Not a big deal, but I can understand how frustrating it could be if you didn't carry other forms of payment with you.

MAGICFLOP

I turned my magic band in at the gate to the gate attendant... I was on my 3rd, non of which worked with any regularity... I always used my AP to enter the park because my magic band caused me to show ID every time.
My last day with a band, I was going to use my AP to enter and the Attendant said "wait just use you band to enter" I told him "no, the band requires ID to enter the park" and he said "No it doesn't" then after my band failed he said " I do need to see your ID" so I show him my ID and said " please toss my band in the garbage for me and have a magical day"
The band never retained my FP, the rest of my family worked, but not mine..

John park hopper

Original Poster
I was not a happy camper leave the park and go back to the resort (waste time) and straighten out or stay in the park and not eat --Stayed in the park. CM at POFQ was not very sympathetic told the same random glitches usually on the 5th day. Chi84 post your reply if you get one

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom