Line Cutting

PamelaNiebergal

First of all I don't think it is okay to have one family member hold the place in line for the rest of the family so that they never have to wait. Everyone that wants to ride should get in the line together.
That being said it really upsets me how angry people get towards those who may have to leave the line and come back. First, being angry isn't going to solve anything. It can't really do anything but take away from your own experience. I feel sorry for these angry people who can't let the insignificant things in life go. Second, you don't know the reason that a person is leaving. I have bad kidney problems that often make it impossible for me to stand in lines that are an hour or more. Although I hate doing it I often have to leave my husband to hold my space and come back. I try to apologize to everyone around me and I try to be polite as I can. It upsets me that others are looking towards me with anger and hatred for a situations that is beyond my control and one that I would gladly rectify if I could.

Scooter

I think what some people don't understand here is this:

It's not that I mind if someone joins their family in line, it's the fact that I feel taken advantage of when it happens.

I've stood in line for an hour in the heat and humidity, politely, quietly, slowly working my way to the front of the line, when out of no where come 3 people all fresh and happy. holding ice cold drinks or Mickey Ice Cream bars to join someone who is "holding their spaces in line".

Now I realize it's not going to make my wait all that much longer, and I realize that it isn't really hurting myself or anyone else, but my family gets drinks together, gets fast passes together, and consequently, we enter the queue lines together because that's the way it's supposed to be done.

There's nothing worse than being all hot and sweaty,surrounded by stinky people, waiting for what seems like hours, finally seeming to get close to getting on a ride, only to have people get in front of you and make your wait longer.

Like I said, it's not a major crisis, but you do feel taken advantage of.
It could also be dangerous because long exposure to heat and humity can try ones patience and can make some people pretty grouchy. :lookaroun

blairsville

The other problem I have with this is what it teaches the kids. I have a very large 6 year old. (4'7" 90 pounds). We have taught him to politely wait his turn and not push his way in front of others. So there we are doing the right and others pudh past us. What do we tell him?

Raven66

blairsville said:
The other problem I have with this is what it teaches the kids. I have a very large 6 year old. (4'7" 90 pounds). We have taught him to politely wait his turn and not push his way in front of others. So there we are doing the right and others pudh past us. What do we tell him?

I have come across this. When my DD sees someone doing something I have told her she can't do, she will say "that kid is doing _____" And I will say to her, well, I'm your mommy not theirs, but if I was they would not being doing that. I can't control what another parent tells their kids, just what I tell you. It seems to work.

HoW

AS long as I have been going to WDW this has always been a problem for me. I try to take it on a case by case basis, I understand that kids have to go to the bathroom at the most inconvienant times, but a bunch of late teens/early 20-somethings on Spring Break racing to catch up to the person who lost Rock-Paper-Scissors to hold their spots (well, lets just say that I may have said some less than magical things to those people). Whenever I am there with my family we try to do everything as a group or break off into smaller groups to avoid being rude. So whenever I get into these situations anymore, I always remember that there are children watching me as a role-model and remember that there are always other people like me trying to do what is right too.

Scooter

blairsville said:

I never had to tell my kids anything.
They knew how to behave and whenever they witnessed another child misbehaving or breaking rules they would always say to me and my wife " Wow..that kids is being bad!" and we would reply "Yes he/she is and I'm glad YOU don't act like that."

mcminnie

We've been going to WDW for over 20 years now and my strongest impression all those years ago was how polite, courteous and patient everyone was. As a British person I've got to admit I thought they probably had to behave like this or they'd be pulling out the guns they all carry and shoot each other. It now seems that things are reaching that stage. Society can only work if everyone shows respect and consideration for others, particularly in stressful situations such as long queues and cutting in is nothing else but a deliberate way of demonstrating the utter contempt you feel for those other members of the human race around about you. It should not surprise you, therefore, if such behaviour provokes a reaction. On our recent trip we saw frequent little incidents of this kind - a couple of kids cutting through the barriers to the head of the queue, followed by their indulgent parents "Excuse me our kids are up ahead" or the fast pass dodge which three separate families used in Soarin' then pushed past without a word. The best one of all, though, and one they put signs up about here is people occupying tables in counter service restaurants while someone queues up for food. These places are actually designed with enough tables so by the time you get your food others will have left and a table will be free. Not in Disney though and unless they put in a lot more tables they should try and educate people how they are supposed to work. No problem if someone infirm needs a seat but definiteley one kid or Dad and a couple of kids.

newfanatic

brookskk said:
Nervously, we asked the two familes right behind mine. They were more than gracious and one of them (nicely) commented..."Of course, join your family. That's what we are all here for."

That is the difference. You asked if they minded. You cared if you were offending them. I don't think I would ever say no to someone that asked me, but I feel so insulted and offended when they just push their way in front of me. :( It promotes the "I am better than you and don't have to wait" attitude. Everyone just needs to show others they same respect they would like to receive. :D

Interruption?

It doesn't bother me if it's 1 or 2 people. However, yesterday was my last day at Disney. We spent it at MGM and there were 13 of us waiting in line for Rock'n'Roller Coaster. There was a small group of 3 people in front of us. About an hour into the line, 20 people show up and a place where the line is next to the fastpass line to join the 3 who had apparently been saving a spot. They spoke no English, or at least didn't let on that they did, so I yelled at them in Spanish until they left. It got quite funny too, cause when they said something I couldn't understand or they said something that ed me off I would reply in random Spanish phrases, such as "¡POR FAVOR MANTENGANSE AL LEJADO DE LAS PUERTAS!" or "¡HAY UNA FIESTA FESTIVA EN MIS PANTALONES!" whilst one of my friends just repeatedly shouted "¡TU MAMA! ¡TU MAMA!" They got angry, but as soon as I told them I was going to go tell a cast member, they miraculously, by the grace of God we're suddenly able to speak English in Muhammed-esque fashion and told me that they would move directly behind us. I knew that there were still people behind them who had been cut in front of but I was too tired and cranky to deal with getting them to just go to the back of the line.

ChuckElias

newfanatic said:
It promotes the "I am better than you and don't have to wait" attitude.
It's hysterical that you use this particualar phrase. This is my wife's biggest pet peeve. It doesn't matter if it's in line at Disney or in a line of traffic on the road. Somebody scooting to the front of the line and cutting in makes her blood boil!! And she always says exactly what you wrote. LOL. What makes him think he's better and doesn't have to wait?!?! Huh?!?! :D

Plane Crazy

WDWCP said:
Yeah, you can do three things about it:

1) Speak up, make a scene and get yourself, other bystanders, and the "perpetrators" all upset about it and still nothing will happen except in the rare instances that a fight breaks out. Ruins your day!

2) Say nothing and keep it bottled up inside yourself and get all upset and ruin your day over it.

3) Just ignore it, feel sorry for these people that have grown up to be such rude people and just move along with the rest of you day and not think about it again. This is the only option that doesn't really ruin anyone's day.

This quote echoes my sentiments on this topic. I have tried the first two options (While the first option never started a fight, it certainly raised tension to an uncomfortable level). The third option seems to work best... but it is far from a solution. I find that I am still angered/frustrated when I attempt to ignore this behavior. I cannot help but feel that by doing nothing, I am reinforcing their behavior. And, if others see that people are able to move through a line unchecked, they may be more apt to try it in the future. Therefore, the current perpetrators will continue to do this... and there is a possibility that the number of perpetrators may actually increase.

In a perfect world, these people would realize that this practice is rude or unacceptable. They would either wait for their entire party before entering an attraction queue, or allow the people behind them in line to pass so that they can rejoin the stragglers in the group. The other option, is that many attractions now have single rider lines.... couldn't these people enter the single rider line and in many cases exit the attraction before or at the same time as the rest of the party?

Plane Crazy

It seems to me that this problem has gotte worse with the popularization of cellular phones. While waiting in line, I'll occasionally see someone on their cell phone and the conversation often goes like this:

Person in Queue: "Hey where are you guys?"

Friend/relative: "We just got off of the Tower of Terror"

Person in Queue: "Where are you guys?"

Friend/relative: "We are in line over at Rockin' Rollercoaster. We're just about to enter the attraction building. Why don't you guys come join us."

Friend/relative: "Okay. See you in a couple of minutes"

And sure enough, within a couple of minutes. Here come the friends/relatives, working their way up from the line (in many cases, still on the cell phone to assist in navigation).

PRETTY INFURIATING!!!!

Dwarful

First, having a family member hold a place in line is not "cutting". As a 2nd grade "class mom", it is common (even in grade school) to allow a child's place to be held when he or she has to get out of line for some reason. It is also common for a child to be allowed to save "Mom" or "Dad" or "Grandma" a seat if they are joining the child on a field trip, presentation, etc...

I guess it depends on the area, where my girls go to school, there is no line saving. At lunchtime, who pack lunches line up first, they proceed to the cafeteria and they sit in the first available seat, no saving seats for friends, if there aren't any more seats they go to the next table, so friends do get split up, but thats life and its only 30 minutes. They must sit and eat lunch with the kids they were in line with. Same goes for the kids who line up for hotlunch.

I guess this is just a topic that people will not come to an agreement. Those who do it don't see the problem, those who don't do it, can't understand why people do it. How difficult is it really to send one person to grab fast passes, while the rest of the party gets to the next ride, then wait and all enter together. If it is so important to be together then why make a need to cut, twhy not wait the extra few minutes and enter the ride/show etc together.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I really don't have much of a problem with it. If it's one teen, and a group of 5 teens comes out of nowhere and make noise yeah that's a bit irritating. But that's maybe a 1 in 10 scenario. If a mother is in line, and a dad and 2 kids catch up it doesn't bug me.

I mean first and foremost, you're at the happiest place on earth. Don't let other people get under your skin :)

What DOES get under my skin, is the family who uses their child as an excuse to cut in line. The kid will run ahead, mommy catches up, and they stay at that point in line ahead of everyone they passed. I've seen it a few times on DLRR. Now that's entirely disrespectful and dirty.

CoasterSnoop

On rides like "Soarin' Around the World", Disney shouldn't have a 10 foot wide line. It's set up for a lot of line cutting and problems in the line. Disney is causing a lot of problems in that area. You would think after this many years in business, they could design a line that wasn't the mess that "Soarin is". Shame on you Disney....

Good grief, I understand bumping a thread from about ten months ago about lines to say this but how many pages did you click through to bump some thread from over ten years ago?

Oh, you did bump a different thread from about ten months ago to say exactly this?

???

Goofyernmost

And yet if a new thread was started, no doubt there would be some people who would say "we already have threads on this, why start a new one?"
That is true, however, there is a difference between a one or two year old thread and one that is 12 years old. To begin with the reason for that particular thread is no longer relevant. That was a long time ago and no one cares about something that happened back then. If someone has a current "real" experience then there is no reason to go back to the archives, just post a new one with ones separate experience. At least it will be current and reflect what is happening now.

If we are talking about an ongoing discussion or one that is at least recent then there is no reason to post an antique. I can't imagine how long it took to get to 2006. Even with search many more current ones would have shown up as well. But, like myself, apparently, we must comment on a dead thread keeping it in queue because logic and discussion boards rarely mix. :angelic::(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom