Lincoln watch

Phroobar

Original Poster
Just a thread to update the status of Lincoln returning to the Main Street Opera House. Is the Dumbo preview over? When will it be over? Has Lincoln returned? Is Lincoln now known as Hondo?

lincolntomb1.jpg

SuddenStorm

It is beyond me why they would even consider using the Opera House for movie previews. The Tomorrowland Theater is perfectly suited for these. Or do they think showing Path of the Jedi again is better than showing Lincoln!? 🙄

Not to mention, Path of the Jedi is a tired ad for the Last Jedi.... complete with an intro by the beloved Rian Johnson and ending with The Last Jedi trailer in it's entirety. At least update it for Ep. 9.

But degrading the Opera House/Disney Gallery to a simple place to advertise your latest live action remake to customers who pay upwards of $100 for a day ticket? Disgusting.

Lincoln is a phenomenal show, and a wonderful update of a show Walt Disney oversaw (though that two brothers song could get cut). It's a last vestige of a time where Imagineers cared about the art of themed design, and is even more important now with Galaxy's Edge's poorly thought placement and the Project: Disneyland Planter removal that Disney PR has somehow spun into a positive for Disney fans.

Ismael Flores

with the old preview theater turning into Philharmagic it looks like we might end up getting less of Lincoln for a while. They have quite a few movies coming out this year to promote.

Alladin = May 24 is next and then comes
Toy Story 4 = June 21
Lion king July = 19
Frozen 2 = November 22

and i believe somewhere int here is also the Cruella sequel. I wonder how many of those will use the theater for previews

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
But degrading the Opera House/Disney Gallery to a simple place to advertise your latest live action remake to customers who pay upwards of $100 for a day ticket? Disgusting.

Yeah, I don't understand why the standard trailer before another movie and commercials aren't enough to promote their movies. Why do they need to also promote them in the parks? While Disneyland tends to be more of a locals park, I still feel bad for those who are visiting for the first time or not very often and can't see a unique attraction because it's replaced by a preview for a movie you will see in its entirety a few months later.

Having to deal with attraction upgrades, refurbs, and construction is one thing, but movie previews don't make sense.

SuddenStorm

Why not keep Lincoln, and show these ads at the Muppet Vision theater? If the advertisements are a bigger draw than actual shows, shouldn't they put them in the park that's gonna need stuff to do more than ever this year?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why not keep Lincoln, and show these ads at the Muppet Vision theater? If the advertisements are a bigger draw than actual shows, shouldn't they put them in the park that's gonna need stuff to do more than ever this year?

Um, because Mickey's PhilharMagic is going into the Muppet Theater instead?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ummmm...that would be the PhilharMagic Lite show from DLP, not the ultra widescreen version seen in WDW and HKDL.
Yes, and? Its not like I said anything incorrect. :)

But the bottom line for the Opera House is whether a film promo will get more butts in the seats than Lincoln. That's it.

I doubt they are getting rid of Lincoln completely.

Old Mouseketeer

Yes, and? Its not like I said anything incorrect. :)

I doubt they are getting rid of Lincoln completely.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be argumentative with you--just with the notion of shoehorning PhilharMagic into DCA on the cheap.

I agree--it's unlikely they have gotten rid of Lincoln. There's no way Disney Studios will pay the costs for removal. Remember, the expense incurred by any movie promotion in the parks is borne by the releasing studio and there's always a set timeline. This includes any capital expenditures, such as Thor's throne room at Innoventions, or Captain Marvel's fighter jet at Stage 12 (both bloody brilliant!). If the park wants to keep the movie characters after the term of the promotion, it must assume the costs for performers, dressers, hosts, and photopass. They won't demo Lincoln and associated infrastructure until there is a replacement attraction (or shop or restaurant) with a demo budget. Otherwise they'll just let Lincoln sit in repose. That's why so many things remain derelict after being closed.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

maybe someone stole him like BUZZY? wait..Buzzy is gone, Lincoln is gone....could this be the handy work of one MR. NICHOLAS CAGE "I'm going to steal Lincoln and Buzzy"

Figments Friend

I find this recent trend of showing film trailers in the Opera House to be disappointing.
And stupidly shortsighted.
Not to mention , in short, , stupid.

Today's Guests can watch these same trailers on a mobile device in their pocket anywhere at any time.
Where else in the world can one see 'Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln' in person...?

Incredibly stupid decision to replace a unique and historic Attraction / Show with current Disney Studios marketing fodder.
'What would Walt think' about this nonsense....?

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom