Likelihood of room requested (POR) and distances of room to dining

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Hey guys...our trip is less than a week away now!
With my father recently dealing with back issues he had me call up Disney and put in a request for rooms that are closer to the lobby/dining areas/main bus stop/etc.
I went ahead and requested rooms in either building 14 or 15 (we were booked for Alligator Bayou already) and the CM stated they would do their very best of getting us rooms in those buildings.
Personally I could care less where in the resort we stay as I know I'll need to be walking off the calories I consume, but I do worry about my poor Dad. I feel I get pretty conflicting answers when speaking to CM's, so what has been yall's experience with requesting rooms and then getting your requests answered? I didn't ask for a specific room or anything, just building, so I figured this may be easier for them to handle? Fingers crossed...

With that question, comes this one...

If we were to be in building 14 or 15, it seems like it really is pretty close to everything. For those that have stayed at this resort or have visited and know- what do you think the walk would be like for my Father with some pretty bad back and pain issues at the moment? (We've got everything worked out for the parks, just not getting around at the resort). I was assuming the walk would be 5 minutes or less in these buildings.

Thanks to anyone who can help! :)

DisneyPrincess5

In our experience at Poly and Coronado, we have been granted a building request.
I'm thinking that if the building you request contains the types of rooms and views you booked originally/are paying for, then maybe the request is granted without much hassle? I'd hope too that they'd take it more seriously due to the fact that it's related to a medical issue.

I hope you get what you need and want! Hope you guys have a great trip and hope your dad feels better!

Baldy

I requested a room near the main building when I travelled with my mom to POFQ this past Aug. She had injured herself a few months prior to our trip. Although they did not guarantee anything, we were given a first floor room just around the corner from the food court. Call ahead and make the request and let them know when you get there if you are willing to check in later in order to get a better location.
All the best.

jackson2005

We had booked a preferred room and requested building 14, we got building 18 which was ok. I would suggest getting a wheel chair either rent at home or arrange for one to be atPORS. I would also take a Dr note just in case you need it. I am pretty sure the airlines would check it at the gate the same as they do strollers. Good luck.

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
In our experience at Poly and Coronado, we have been granted a building request.
I'm thinking that if the building you request contains the types of rooms and views you booked originally/are paying for, then maybe the request is granted without much hassle? I'd hope too that they'd take it more seriously due to the fact that it's related to a medical issue.

I hope you get what you need and want! Hope you guys have a great trip and hope your dad feels better!

I think the only issue we may run into is that the buildings we asked about have 'preferred' views. Which we would be more than happy to pay a little extra for now if it means making it easier on my Dad. Although I totally didn't say that when I called and am kicking myself now for forgetting. At least I put the request in...
I'm thinking it may not be a huge deal though, as at least one of the buildings as a bunch of parking lot views, which we would happily take and give up our garden views for if it meant an easier and quicker walk to things.

Thank you! We're hoping this trip won't be too much for him...awful timing really! Last week he was practically doing cartwheels!

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
I requested a room near the main building when I travelled with my mom to POFQ this past Aug. She had injured herself a few months prior to our trip. Although they did not guarantee anything, we were given a first floor room just around the corner from the food court. Call ahead and make the request and let them know when you get there if you are willing to check in later in order to get a better location.
All the best.

That makes me feel a lot better to hear of your success! Sorry to hear about your mom though! Hope she is doing much better!
We arrive late (after 3pm) and plan to head to the parks as soon as we stop in so a later room arrival would be no problem for us at all! I'll keep that in mind to mention-thank you! :D

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
We had booked a preferred room and requested building 14, we got building 18 which was ok. I would suggest getting a wheel chair either rent at home or arrange for one to be atPORS. I would also take a Dr note just in case you need it. I am pretty sure the airlines would check it at the gate the same as they do strollers. Good luck.
We have a plan lined up for the parks (someone coming with something) but weren't sure what we were going to do about the resort- I didn't know you could rent and arrange for one to be at the resort- such a great thing to know! I'll be looking into that.

jackson2005

We have a plan lined up for the parks (someone coming with something) but weren't sure what we were going to do about the resort- I didn't know you could rent and arrange for one to be at the resort- such a great thing to know! I'll be looking into that.
It is not a long walk, but when you are having pain a short walk can be very long.. And he could enjoy more if he knew he wasn't holding everyone up waiting for him. Happy time for all.

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
It is not a long walk, but when you are having pain a short walk can be very long.. And he could enjoy more if he knew he wasn't holding everyone up waiting for him. Happy time for all.
You're very right. I feel so awful all of this had to happen for him a week before we head out, so I want to do my best to help him out and make it as easy and comfortable as possible. I really appreciate your suggestions! I will definitely be looking into having one ready at POR!

Rob562

As mentioned, building 14 is a Preferred location at Riverside (Buildings 15, 18 and 27 are also Preferred).

If you're willing to pay more for a Preferred location, by all means call back and see if you can upgrade to a Preferred room. Even if you're inside the change/cancellation deadline (45 days for a package, 5 days for room only) if you're making a change to the reservation that results in an increase in the package price, Disney will happily waive the change fee to allow you to spend more money. ;-)

(This is, of course, assuming that there are Preferred rooms still available for your dates and any discount offer you may have gotten)

-Rob

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
As mentioned, building 14 is a Preferred location at Riverside (Buildings 15, 18 and 27 are also Preferred).

If you're willing to pay more for a Preferred location, by all means call back and see if you can upgrade to a Preferred room. Even if you're inside the change/cancellation deadline (45 days for a package, 5 days for room only) if you're making a change to the reservation that results in an increase in the package price, Disney will happily waive the change fee to allow you to spend more money. ;-)

(This is, of course, assuming that there are Preferred rooms still available for your dates and any discount offer you may have gotten)

-Rob
Since we are headed out at the end of next week I wasn't quite sure how full the resorts would be due to Marathon weekend. I was thinking since January was usually pretty low our chances of getting a close building may be good, then I thought about the Marathon.

You're right though, I doubt Disney would turn down extra money, haha.
We didn't get any discounts this trip, so I'm hoping that should make it easier for them to be willing to 'upgrade' us to a preferred room. Even though I don't really consider a view of a parking lot preferred, Lol. The location though...:)

PinnySmart

If you have requested a preferred building and haven't paid the premium you more than likely will not get it. If it is important that you be in one of those 2 buildings you should probably call and upgrade now and not wait until you arrive. The marathons bring crowds and PORS has no problem filling the preferred rooms. I just wouldn't wait until arrival and try to upgrade. It used to be doable and may still be but don't count on it. As of late Disney has gotten wise to travelers booking a lower priced room and requesting a higher priced room. Our son works with room assignment at AKL and says it happens all of the time but is no longer honored

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom