'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

TP2000

The rule of thumb is that the extra costs are 50% of budget. So, it cost $300M.

And the studio gets, as a rule of thumb, half of the Box Office.

Lightyear will have to hit $600Mto break even.... In the theatrical window. There are other 'windows' in which a movie can make extra dough (PPV, DVD, streaming, merch)...

And if this first weekend was unusually depressed because of the competition, it could be more. Several family films had the "legs" to earn five times more than their biggest weekend, such as E.T.

Lightyear didn't get legs. If anything, it's getting them amputated for Weekend #2. The weekend is only half over, but the box office is already partially in and the trends are clear. Lightyear is dropping down to fifth place this weekend. And the Minions arrive in a few days.

From the latest article at The Hollywood Reporter this afternoon...

"One bummer is Disney and Pixar’s Lightyear, which is falling steeply in its second outing after opening to a subdued $51 million a week ago. The animated family film looks to be down 64 percent or more with a weekend gross of $18 million to $20 million, an unprecedented decline for a Pixar movie (that doesn’t include Onward, which opened just as theaters began closing because of the pandemic)."

We will update the thread by Sunday evening, obviously, but it's safe to say Lightyear is dead and will have cost the Walt Disney Company around $400 Million using your figure of a breakeven point of $600 Million. It's going to take a lot of extra churro sales to cover over that $400 Million loss. :oops:

ElvisMickey

Lightyear didn't get legs. If anything, it's getting them amputated for Weekend #2. The weekend is only half over, but the box office is already partially in and the trends are clear. Lightyear is dropping down to fifth place this weekend. And the Minions arrive in a few days.

From the latest article at The Hollywood Reporter this afternoon...

"One bummer is Disney and Pixar’s Lightyear, which is falling steeply in its second outing after opening to a subdued $51 million a week ago. The animated family film looks to be down 64 percent or more with a weekend gross of $18 million to $20 million, an unprecedented decline for a Pixar movie (that doesn’t include Onward, which opened just as theaters began closing because of the pandemic)."

We will update the thread by Sunday evening, obviously, but it's safe to say Lightyear is dead and will have cost the Walt Disney Company around $400 Million using your figure of a breakeven point of $600 Million. It's going to take a lot of extra churro sales to cover over that $400 Million loss. :oops:

Elvis, baby 😎🎸⚡️!

TP2000

Funny how all of the Lightyear apologists after the first weekend have dropped off the face of the earth from this thread…

It is funny, isn't it? :cool:

Disney & Pixar have simply got to start making family movies that American families actually pay to go see! Their current business model of spending $150 to $200 Million per film for movies that few American parents want to take their children to is simply not sustainable. Or wise.

Last edited:

TP2000

Elvis, baby 😎🎸⚡️!

They don't call him The King for no reason.

I've got a little group text going with some friends, we plan to go see this later this week. I'm spoiled now at my age for movie viewing experiences; I can only go to those swanky theaters with giant reclining chairs and tables and waiter service where you order off a menu, push a button, and they bring you a glass of champagne and chocolate drizzled popcorn. Here in San Diego the luxury movie chain is called Cinepolis, and they have really nailed it.

But we will go and see this Elvis movie that way at the Cinepolis up the road in Del Mar.
It's the only way to fly! 🥂

5ee9342fd7f82.image.jpg

ElvisMickey

They don't call him The King for no reason.

I've got a little group text going with some friends, we plan to go see this later this week. I'm spoiled now for movie viewing experiences; I can only go to those swanky theaters with giant reclining chairs and tables and waitress service where you order off a menu, push a button, and they bring you a glass of champagne and a slice of cheesecake or chocolate drizzled popcorn.

But we will go and see this Elvis movie that way at the Cinepolis up the road in Del Mar.
It's the only way to fly! 🥂
First, noticed your post from a few days ago…absolutely love Girl Happy! Second, I saw it on Thursday at Disney Springs and it was fantastic. Not entirely historically accurate at times, but most movies take artistic liberties. Interested to know what you think once you see it!

TrainsOfDisney

I’m going to guess that I will personally like Lightyear better than turning red. But I’m also smart enough to think that a cute red panda would sell better than an unrecognizable version of a toy that was already ignored in TS4.

TP2000

First, noticed your post from a few days ago…absolutely love Girl Happy! Second, I saw it on Thursday at Disney Springs and it was fantastic. Not entirely historically accurate at times, but most movies take artistic liberties. Interested to know what you think once you see it!

I can't wait! I'm assuming it will take some artistic liberties with historical accuracy, but what doesn't nowadays?

I really am a fan of Elvis during his 1960's phase, from the early-to-mid 60's movies to his '68 Comeback Special. Also his "Via Satellite" stuff from Hawaii. I hope the movie deals with that a bit, instead of just focusing on his 1956 pelvis shaking and curled lip. 🤣

And I know his life story doesn't have a very happy ending, and I expect the movie to even over-dramatize that, so I'll just leave this little song here from Elvis at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair to cheer us up!
Goodness knows the Disney/Pixar executives in Emeryville and Burbank need some cheering up this weekend since Lightyear didn't have a happy ending!

Last edited:

ElvisMickey

I can't wait! I'm assuming it will take some artistic liberties with historical accuracy, but what doesn't nowadays?

I really am a fan of Elvis during his 1960's phase, from the early-to-mid 60's movies to his '68 Comeback Special. Also his "Via Satellite" stuff from Hawaii. I hope the movie deals with that a bit, instead of just focusing on his 1956 pelvis shaking and curled lip. 🤣

And I know his life story doesn't have a very happy ending, and I expect the movie to even over-dramatize that, so I'll just leave this little song here from Elvis at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair for us all to cheer us up! Goodness knows the Disney/Pixar executives in Emeryville and Burbank need some cheering up with a happy ending this weekend!

It honestly quickly glosses over everything from the point that his mother died to the Comeback Special, which is a tad disappointing. I know his 60s movies weren’t the highlight of Elvis’s career, but I enjoy them as well. There are some hidden gems out there…Kissin’ Cousins?! However the attention to detail as a whole throughout the entire movie are amazing. Especially if you’re someone who knows about Elvis and have been to Memphis, etc.

Yes! Burbank is in trouble…

Pecos Scott

We chose not to see this movie. We chose not to see this movie for the same reason many, and I do mean many, other people chose not to see this movie. The reason does not belong in this discussion, but it is a personal choice. The great thing about the US is we can choose what movies to spend our money on and which ones not to, without anyone dictating whether our choice is right or wrong. Just as we do not condemn anyone who did in fact choose to see this movie. It's a personal choice. It's a free country. We choose our entertainment. We choose how to spend our income on family entertainment.

To the countries and their leaders who are banning this movie from the public, this is a wrong decision. Let the public decide with their wallets, not be told or restricted. The public has its own mind and can decide for itself.

TP2000

SOX is, from what I have seen, the breakout character of Lightyear. Probably will get his own spinoff down the line I bet, even with the movie's failure.

How does that play out exactly on Disney+ and in the toy aisle at Target?

You didn't see him in the movie that flopped, but you'll love him anyway! It's Sox, the Buzz Lightyear sidekick you aren't familiar with and didn't know you needed in your life until you saw this ad!

That's gonna be like trying to sell VINCENT from The Black Hole toys in 1979 when all the kids only want R2D2 stuff.

Now on Disney+, it's the VINCENT Saga that you don't care about but your $8 already paid for!
H3257-L45061950.jpg

Now on Disney+, it's the Sox Saga that you don't care about but your $8 already paid for!

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

Holiday weekends and vacation periods are traditionally big for the movie business. It's why all the big blockbusters are released for Easter vacation, Memorial Day Weekend for summer, and during Christmas. That basic business tenet of the movie business is also why stinkers and low-budget weaklings are quietly released in the middle of September or the end of February.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to use "it opened on a holiday weekend" as another reason why Lightyear bombed. But I do agree that Lightyear's problems were likely a combination of several things.

This latest article from The Hollywood Reporter has an interesting bit of facts and data on its demographic pull at the box office. Apparently Lightyear did not pull in family demographics well at all. If a movie studio is in the business of making "family films" like Pixar certainly is, they better darn well ensure their movies appeal to large numbers of American families! 🧐

January, 2022: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 = 60% Ticket sales to parents & children
June, 2022: Lightyear = 38% Ticket sales to parents & children

We don't have kids, so we were part of the problem haha. Then again, our theatre (Sunday @ 3:30pm, Dolby Cinema $$$$) had a ton of kids, but it was not packed at all.

DCLcruiser

Thanks for the research! As I suspected, those 14 Muslim countries that banned Lightyear don't amount to much. Most of them have tiny populations to begin with, even if they have some wealth. Indonesia is the biggest population, but without the wealth of the Arab nations.

I didn't know it hadn't been released in China yet. I thought it had wide global release. Is it because of China's ongoing Covid shutdowns? Is there a release date scheduled I wonder?
I think the issue though, isn't that 14 countries with low ticket sales banned the movie, the issue is that a US media outlet decided to actively push the same narrative to US consumers. Especially those in the Disney bubble, who may have decided to not watch it.

DCLcruiser

If the movie wasn't Lightyear, and instead was a backstory for Space Mountain, perhaps it would have done better as just a sci-fi movie.

I still think it was good. The references to Buzz the toy's characteristics was great. Ignoring sales, go see it, and report back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom