'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

Jedijax719

Just got the chance to post and CANNOT believe anyone is calling Lightyear's opening weekend anything but horrible. Excuses and reasons aside, there is nothing at all good or acceptable about the opening weekend of $50 million. The truth is that this movie is the "Solo" of the Toy Story franchise. And what is even more interesting is that they didn't get an unknown to play Buzz.

I didn't see it and will wait for D+. I think, above all else, that is THE biggest reason for its dismal opening and even more dismal mid-week takes. People just expect that it will be on D+ very soon so why not just wait. For a while, it was a matter of not wanting to go to theaters due to COVID. Now, it's just a matter of "why bother".

Kirby86

Just got the chance to post and CANNOT believe anyone is calling Lightyear's opening weekend anything but horrible. Excuses and reasons aside, there is nothing at all good or acceptable about the opening weekend of $50 million. The truth is that this movie is the "Solo" of the Toy Story franchise. And what is even more interesting is that they didn't get an unknown to play Buzz.
It always bums me out that Solo didn't break even it was a fun little movie that I really enjoyed. But yeah both films had some issues bringing the crowds in.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Lightyear is released in China, it won't do well there. Movies that debut in China a few weeks after it debuts elsewhere are too pirated. After seeing the pirated version at home, they don't go to the theaters.

Disney Analyst

Now, it's just a matter of "why bother".

This is us. I have no want to spend more money to see a movie like Lightyear in theatres, when it will be on Disney+ in 45 days, and I can avoid dealing with annoying movie theatregoers.

At this point, I reserve going to a movie theatre for the productions that really benefit from a BIG screen and good sound system.

Kirby86

This is us. I have no want to spend more money to see a movie like Lightyear in theatres, when it will be on Disney+ in 45 days, and I can avoid dealing with annoying movie theatregoers.

At this point, I reserve going to a movie theatre for the productions that really benefit from a BIG screen and good sound system.
Honestly if I didn't have AMC A-list I would have just waited to see this on Disney plus. It Honestly didn't intrest me in buying a ticket but since I already paid for my subscription it was a might as well see it decision.

ElvisMickey

On a Lilo & Stitch note lol, went to go see Elvis yesterday at Disney Springs and it was fantastic! Although I might be partial 😜! Going to give Lightyear a run for its money this weekend 😎🎸

Ghost93

On a Lilo & Stitch note lol, went to go see Elvis yesterday at Disney Springs and it was fantastic! Although I might be partial 😜! Going to give Lightyear a run for its money this weekend 😎🎸
Elvis was really good! The theater I went to was packed. However, I go to the movies all the time, and since COVID most of the screenings I've gone to have been primarily filled with people in their 20s and 30s. Elvis was the first time where the majority of theatergoers were people in their 50s-80s. While I'm glad that older people are returning to the cinema, I hope young people check out Elvis as well. I'm in my 20s and have no strong feelings on Elvis as an artist, but the movie itself was very well crafted.

I don't think Elvis will compete with Lightyear though as they are targeting very different demographics.

Kirby86

Elvis was really good! The theater I went to was packed. However, I go to the movies all the time, and since COVID most of the screenings I've gone to have been primarily filled with people in their 20s and 30s. Elvis was the first time where the majority of theatergoers were people in their 50s-80s. While I'm glad that older people are returning to the cinema, I hope young people check out Elvis as well. I'm in my 20s and have no strong feelings on Elvis as an artist, but the movie itself was very well crafted.

I don't think Elvis will compete with Lightyear though as they are targeting very different demographics.
It's counter programming so I dont think the audiences will ovelap also I really think Top Gun brought the older crowd back. Personally Elvis is a wait for me since I'm not a fan of this directors other films. Seeing the black phone though.

ElvisMickey

It's counter programming so I dont think the audiences will ovelap also I really think Top Gun brought the older crowd back. Personally Elvis is a wait for me since I'm not a fan of this directors other films. Seeing the black phone though.
Yeah, you definitely have to be into a Baz Luhrmann style film for sure. I’ll be checking out Black Phone on Sunday.

ElvisMickey

Very cool that you’re in your 20s and went to go check out Elvis and enjoyed it. I’m 45 and was always a casual Elvis fan until about 18 years ago, when I became a fanatic. 10 trips to Graceland later and here we are today lol. But yes, definitely different demographics between the two movies. Interested to see how they both do this weekend.

Sharon&Susan

Second biggest second-Friday drop for Pixar (-74%) just behind the Good Dinosaur (-78%):

Going to be interesting to see how Minions perform next week. I've personally seen some kids that are excited for this one, which is far more than I can ever say about Lightyear.

Kirby86

I think barring a box office miracle Disney and Pixar will lose money on this film. Also I had a feeling it would struggle to reach Solos numbers domestically as well.

Vegas Disney Fan

It always bums me out that Solo didn't break even it was a fun little movie that I really enjoyed. But yeah both films had some issues bringing the crowds in.
Solo is still my favorite film of the new Star Wars movies, it’s too bad it followed the Last Jedi, I think so many people disliked that they were over it and didn’t even give Solo a chance.

Star Wars fatigue and toy story fatigue likely played a big role in both failing at the box office.

Kirby86

Solo is still my favorite film of the new Star Wars movies, it’s too bad it followed the Last Jedi, I think so many people disliked that they were over it and didn’t even give Solo a chance.

Star Wars fatigue and toy story fatigue likely played a big role in both failing at the box office.
Honestly its the most fun I've had with the new movies. I think the Last Jedi really soured the audience plus it was Han but not Harrison Ford.

TwilightZone

Han but not Harrison Ford.
Similar mistake made with Buzz....Disney needs to make notes of not replacing actors until they are long dead I guess. But at least with Han it has the excuse of being a live action prequel. Was it really that hard to find a VA that sounded kind of like Tim Allen?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom