'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

Kirby86

I just saw this statement from Illumination's director in my feed... feels kind of like a call out cause the main reason why the kiss was put back into Lightyear was due to outside circumstances with the "don't say gay bill". Maybe I am thinking too deeply about it 🤔
View attachment 647707
I don't think it's a call out to the Pixar and Lightyear. He's just saying that in general if you try to please everyone it can harm the creative process.

EricsBiscuit

I’m not watching this film. Between taking out Tim Allen as Buzz and putting their agenda before story they have lost me on this one.

Kirby86

Allen’s Buzz is not the same character as Evans’ Buzz, so using the same voice wouldn’t have made sense.
Tim Allen's Buzz voice would have worked fine with this movie. I get they wanted Evans so he could play the straight man to balance out with his team members quirks. But Tim's Buzz is the Toy version of this movies character it would make sense if they sounded the same.

Californian Elitist

Actually, if you were going to make a talking action figure of a character in a movie, using the same voice would make a lot of sense.
Not necessarily, as using different voices happen all the time. I had many talking toys with seemingly random voices. Whenever a movie or television show was made, they used different voices.

It’s very clear that these aren’t the same Buzz characters. They are different from each other. Using Allen’s voice would have contradicted Disney’s efforts to distinguish his version of Buzz from the new version.

Prince-1

Actually, if you were going to make a talking action figure of a character in a movie, using the same voice would make a lot of sense.

It’s silly to argue but It makes more sense to have another actor voice the Lightyear character since it came first in the Toy Story world and then came Buzz. Most actors do not do the voice for the toys that are based on their character. Like I said…it’s silly.

DCLcruiser

Thank you for getting it! ;)

Opening weekend is the well known barometer of a movie's box office success. It's also the weekend where studios earn the most from ticket sales, before they start having to share more profits with theaters in the second through eighth weeks of a release.

When a movie bombs at the box office on opening weekend, as Lightyear just did, things don't get better for the studio in the following weeks. In fact, things get much worse financially.

As a reminder, we are discussing the financial success of Lightyear backed by hard data, not the artistic merits of Lightyear that are entirely subjective and personal. :)

Consumers in the free marketplace do not owe it to any studio to attend their movie. If you feel you personally owe something to Disney for making Lightyear, you should just buy a few extra tickets online at your local theater. You don't even have to go sit in the seat, just buy the tickets online and give Disney some of your money as thanks for making Lightyear. Problem solved!
I don’t mean the metric doesn’t make sense for the industry. I meant for a Disney fan to write off a movie based on opening weekend sales, which they didn’t attempt to help, is odd. I’d expect them to view the movie first.

DCLcruiser

I’m not watching this film. Between taking out Tim Allen as Buzz and putting their agenda before story they have lost me on this one.
To be honest, using Tim Allen would have helped their ticket sales with certain demographics.

That being said, a toy, with a cheap voice box, probably wouldn’t sound like the actor.

I can’t remember a point in the movie where I had an issue with Buzz’s voice. They do so many things to reference the old movies that it’s worth a watch. You start to see where the toy’s sayings and reactions come from.

Sir_Cliff

It’s silly to argue but It makes more sense to have another actor voice the Lightyear character since it came first in the Toy Story world and then came Buzz. Most actors do not do the voice for the toys that are based on their character. Like I said…it’s silly.
Yes, this to me seems like people looking for something to get annoyed about. It makes perfect sense to get an action star rather than a comedian to voice the character in this context, where the character also doesn't even really look that much like Buzz in the Toy Story films.

Just as an aside, I noticed that the film seemed to perform particularly well in Latin American markets this weekend. It was #1 in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, and Argentina, and most of the trends and people I follow are in Mexico for various reasons and I can say that there was some murmuring on social media about the overblown same-sex kiss. At least in those markets, it didn't seem to be an issue.

Dear Prudence

Tim Allen is getting a Santa Claus series on Disney+. I don't think he's going away anytime soon. Lightyear is supposed to be about the real ("real") Buzz Lightyear, so it's a different voice actor. I was against seeing it because I thought it was going to retcon Toy Story, but after I heard that it wasn't, I will probably see it at some point.

TP2000

I don’t mean the metric doesn’t make sense for the industry. I meant for a Disney fan to write off a movie based on opening weekend sales, which they didn’t attempt to help, is odd. I’d expect them to view the movie first.

Ah, got it.

I'm not really a fan of Disney or Pixar movies. I never see them in theaters, and rarely watch them on DVD. I didn't even see Frozen, but I sat through the 50 minute stage show at the Hyperion Theater in DCA once and thought it was a real bore outside of the nifty stagecraft like the revolving staircase. I have absolutely no plans to go see Lightyear, nor any other upcoming film from Disney this year.

I am merely discussing the financial performance of this film, not its artistic merits. I enjoy discussing the financial and operational aspects of the Disney company on this message board, mostly the theme parks but sometimes other divisions like the studios. Although my interest has waned quite a bit after I sold off the last of my Disney stock last year. (Thank God!) Except for the recent sale of my house in Orange County, I rarely time the top of the market that well! 🤣

And after a string of financial losses from Disney and Pixar's flagship animation studios, this latest box office bomb with Lightyear seems to have created a dim future for both of those flagship studios. Disney's money-sucking animation studios need to start making big box office money ASAP! :oops:

TP2000

Yes, this to me seems like people looking for something to get annoyed about. It makes perfect sense to get an action star rather than a comedian to voice the character in this context, where the character also doesn't even really look that much like Buzz in the Toy Story films.

Yup.

To be honest, when I first heard via this thread that Tim Allen was replaced as Buzz I just shrugged and thought "Oh, yeah, Tim Allen is pretty old now and his voice probably sounds like a frog." 🤣

TwilightZone

Found this kinda funny
FVyTU3rUYAAqj3y.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom