'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

Mmoore29

So, why wasn't it actually proven to be untrue?

THR wasn't the only outlet carrying the accusations against him.
THR was the original source that ran the story, is what I'm referring to, with the most "evidence," and everyone else in the press parrotted it.

Simply put, the whole idea of Lasseter being "creepy because he gives bear hugs" is quite a stretch. For all the "But what if it violates their boundaries?" question, that still doesn't mean much. After all, Lasseter's penchant for hugs was well-known, especially in reporting glowingly about Pixar in the '90s, as proof that he's such a childlike and kindhearted man who hasn't lost touch with his innocence. And now, because of the current social climate, that gets taken out of context. These people that complained aren't lying per se, but they have basically been gaslit by society into questioning their memories and rewriting history.

All the talk about "he's got a real problem with alcohol" is gossip and hearsay, never verified. And if, for the sake of argument, it IS true, then the tone of the piece was to shame and belittle a man struggling with a disease, treating it as a moral failing. We're understanding and kind about people hooked on opioids and say how it's not their fault, but if someone famous apparently loves wine too much, they're a creep, a lecher, and an alkie loser.

The reports of Lasseter being tyrannical also simply do not make sense at all. Not only is this completely at odds with everything we've known about him, there's no true explanation of how such a shift could occur. Especially if they add something like "It was so worrisome that even Steve Jobs had to lecture him about it." EXCUSE ME? Someone like Jobs, who was known as effectively being a bully, but an effective one, at Apple, would lecture someone else about their failings? That's completely out of character for Jobs. He would just refer to someone as a "bozo" and be done with them, like he did with John Sculley and Gil Amelio. He'd never look at Lasseter as a "bozo."

But, because of the fact this was a climate where it is easy to make people fall with just the slightest whisper of allegations, whether proven or not, Disney, but most especially Horn, chose to throw Lasseter to the wolves to pacify a YouTube/social media lynch mob. And this happened around the same time Horn would do so again by firing James Gunn over specious reasons. Disney needed to get out ahead, make a statement showing support for both of them, and especially saying, "We know John Lasseter and have worked with him for decades. This story has nothing to do with the man we know and love and who has brought us all, and you, great joy. We are honored to have him."

Simply put, Horn, being the person he is, the one who would've led Disney into a new Dark Age had he stayed, ruined things, because that's his nature. Horn is the very essence of failing upward, having no actual success of his own, and taking credit for others. (Solo flopping is on him for releasing it in May; it has nothing to do with Kathleen Kennedy). That's especially why he basically ruined Robert Shaye and Michael Lynne and moved to effectively destroy New Line Cinema, ripping out its soul. He's very much like Aerosmith's former manager Tim Collins, someone who lights ground fires but moves to put them out and be declared a hero for his own handiwork. But Iger calls him "the best hire I ever made," simply because he sucked up to him so much, it's obscene. But he's gone now.

Lasseter is clearly hurt and betrayed by all of this, but he's too nice to come out and directly go to the mat, defend himself, file a wrongful termination lawsuit. But you can tell he didn't actually want the Skydance job or to work on material for them, his heart isn't in it. He wants nothing more than to be with Pixar, his baby, where he devoted his life, blood, sweat and tears for. But if Iger/Disney ever offered him a chance to come back, he'd take it without hesitation, and his cloud would lift.

LittleBuford

I think "massively" is a bit of a stretch. Onward had already not been a massively successful opening before the lockdowns started.
Onward was the last film I saw before the world changed. Lockdown hadn’t happened yet, but people (at least where I lived) were already getting anxious and seemingly avoiding public places. I was the only person at the screening I attended, which came as a relief because I was in two minds as to whether it was safe to attend.

None of this is to say that the film would have been a huge hit, but I do think COVID impacted its success, even before lockdown.

erasure fan1

Onward was the last film I saw before the world changed. Lockdown hadn’t happened yet, but people (at least where I lived) were already getting anxious and seemingly avoiding public places. I was the only person at the screening I attended, which came as a relief because I was in two minds as to whether it was safe to attend.

None of this is to say that the film would have been a huge hit, but I do think COVID impacted its success, even before lockdown.
By me, people were talking about covid, but they weren't really staying in. Not at the time onward opened. So maybe that factored in week 2 into 3. But I don't think it had all that much impact on weekend one. But either way, it doing "Massive" was a bit of a stretch. doing ok? Yea, that's a distinct possibility.

Kirby86

Useing Onward as a shot against Pixar is unfair because it released March of 2020 and that's when shut downs were looming. Last film I saw before Covid shut down the theaters was a Fandango release of the 1930s King Kong. I think that was the day before they were shut down. Either way the theater was a ghost town. Onward did have a decent crowed given the circumstances though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Simply put, the whole idea of Lasseter being "creepy because he gives bear hugs" is quite a stretch.
Wow.

You choose 'bear hugs' as the most incriminating accusation and leave out the hand going up a woman's thigh under the table?

That's all I need to know about the lack of good faith you're giving to this.

Have a good day.

WorldExplorer

I have a hard time being happy about stuff like the director being fired. The dude was handed a concept that sounded like a joke (and even Pixar themselves blames for "asking too much of the audience", at least in public).

Unless he pitched it, I don't think not being able to overcome that is his fault.

Am I alone in liking The Good Dinosaur?
My dad loves that movie.

How does that saying go? "Go something.....Go Broke" 🤣

Buzz Lightyear was one of Disney's best characters. This movie really taints his brand. It could hurt merch sales long-term. Probably a bad Idea to keep ruining the legacy characters.

Eh. If Buzz's popularity survived being made an absolute moron in the fourth, then this...thing calling itself Buzz Lightyear but mostly just having being a white guy in common wouldn't kill it.

Mmoore29

Wow.

You choose 'bear hugs' as the most incriminating accusation and leave out the hand going up a woman's thigh under the table?

That's all I need to know about the lack of good faith you're giving to this.

Have a good day.
I gives as much good faith as I am able. And Lasseter would NEVER do that. Never. Not once. That's not his character. I didn't address it simply because I don't believe it ever happened. And to say he did and "He'd totally move and do something like that because of his tendency for hugs and his drinking" is an absolute stretch of logic.

At the very least, Disney should've announced an internal investigation, which would've certainly vindicated Lasseter. But Horn, ruiner of everything, took the initiative. And a good man was sacrificed on the altar of purity. Never mind that due process was completely being violated. The rule I have with allegations of all kind is "trust but verify," not "believe unquestioningly and act as a mere stenographer."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, no one's alone in that. The vast majority of people love all three movies. I'm among them. It was the critics who had it out for them simply because of holding a narrow view of "What a Pixar movie is."

Car 2 got an A- from the audience on CinemaScore. And only a 64 with the audience.

That's not *bad*, but Pixar movies average an audience rating of 75 and almost all of them have a grade of A or better.

Was there a study done of all the critics which showed that the majority gave it a low score because it wasn't Pixar enough?

Mmoore29

Car 2 got an A- from the audience on CinemaScore. And only a 64 with the audience.

That's not *bad*, but Pixar movies average an audience rating of 75 and almost all of them have a grade of A or better.

Was there a study done of all the critics which showed that the majority gave it a low score because it wasn't Pixar enough?
Did I say there was a study? I never claimed any such thing.

And just because people don't come out and say it doesn't mean it's not what they're thinking. Read between the lines of the reviews of the Cars films, and the meaning of their words is "This doesn't conform to MY beliefs about what a Pixar film is." And rather than admit their worldview is too narrow and that they could be wrong about something, they just go and blame the creative and start planting the seeds of the idea that "Pixar has lost its way."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom