Lightsaber?

Epcot_Imagineer

Light tape measure? Nah. More fragile than the 1977 spinning version.
Yeah, the second I read the patent I knew this was going to be a very flimsy, only look, no touch saber. There are going to be very strict areas in which you will view this saber on starcruiser - and even then, if they do show it, they will have to do some slight-of-hand to trade them for the classic hard plastic blades for any sort of dueling between the stunt performers.

Give this saber to a kid and they swing it? That blade will fall apart which is no good for theming. Everyone knows come 2022 we are going to have a wonderful selection of "Disney Real Lightsaber FAIL" videos on YouTube of some poor actors mishandling the props.

brettf22

Premium Member
There are going to be very strict areas in which you will view this saber on starcruiser - and even then, if they do show it, they will have to do some slight-of-hand to trade them for the classic hard plastic blades for any sort of dueling between the stunt performers.
I thought the exact same thing. They'll have a character appear set apart from the crowd, have them light up this saber, but they'll have to walk through or past an area that blocks the audience's view momentarily so they can switch sabers. Similar to the saber switch they did in ESB, after Luke kicks Vader off the ledge. He walked behind some equipment, and a stage hand grabbed his "ignited" saber and switched it with a separate hilt.

dmw

In the Parks
No
It's just an LED strip that rolls out with a flexible plastic enclosure. That's it. Heck of marketing though!
But, what if the ones planned for the lightsaber experience on Halcyon also had sensors to know if you have deflected a drone shot? Think laser tag type of technology. That would make the experience so cool!!!

jinx8402

It's just an LED strip that rolls out with a flexible plastic enclosure. That's it. Heck of marketing though!
I mean, I understand it isn't any real ground breaking technology, but for a "show" perspective it makes sense that they would make a big deal about it. This is for show. Before this, there were 3 options for a lightsaber in a show:

1. hilt with blade attached, so must alwasy be ignited.
2. hilt with no blade attached so must never be ignited
3. collapsible toy that has a piece of plastic sticking out (or if it is fully collapsible, you still need to whip the hilt to extend the blade).

From a show perspective, this is hyped because you get the best of both 1 & 2, while getting the effect of the real thing.

WDW Pro

But, what if the ones planned for the lightsaber experience on Halcyon also had sensors to know if you have deflected a drone shot? Think laser tag type of technology. That would make the experience so cool!!!

I've written extensively about how the lightsaber experience works. You should check it out.

Also, they haven’t shown this new saber move at all. Which has me questioning if it even can take twirling around. If it can’t, then lightsaber laser droid training is out.

Twirling when extended? Carefully, yes. Making contact with something? Bad idea.

corran horn

Also, they haven’t shown this new saber move at all. Which has me questioning if it even can take twirling around. If it can’t, then lightsaber laser droid training is out.
Twirling I dunno, but in the second 'take' of the video above the 'Rey' does ignite it while she's continuing to extend her arm.

ImperfectPixie

I dunno...if they can make these as sturdy as the bracelets kids like to slap onto their wrists, they might be onto something (those are actually pretty dang sturdy even though it's just a piece of tape measure covered with flexible plastic).

Prototype82

Such a simple but effective wow-prop. Duck behind a column or wall mid-fight to switch with a sturdy dueling prop and no one will notice. It's awesome how the most next-level effects can be the simplest. Imagine being a kid and seeing a saber ignite out of nothing.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

A phaser with a constant beam is a better design than a light saber or a blaster. Just Sayin'.
Old tech. The whole constant beam (laser) thing is last week like Star Trek. The new Star Wars concepts for the Light Saber and potential evolution of Blaster projections are very interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom