Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Nmoody1

Whilst there are still no lights of winter, there has been a few extra decprations added arpund world showcase... nothing huhe, but woth the addition of holiday fopd operatoons - maybe we will see improvements going forward for EPCOTS holiday offering.

Cmdr_Crimson

Okay Number 1: Holy Thread Bump!

And Number 2:
Whilst there are still no lights of winter, there has been a few extra decprations added arpund world showcase... nothing huhe, but woth the addition of holiday fopd operatoons - maybe we will see improvements going forward for EPCOTS holiday offering.
Wat8.jpg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, not really....

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Not anything near like they used when they gave a crap. Even beyond the LoW, the area decorations are nothing like they used to be. I used to make a point of going to EPCOT over Christmas for almost three decades (not every year, but with some regularity). Hopefully, someone will alert me if they give a rat's pooper again. I should note, that I'm not impressed with any improvement over last year because all that would have to entail is a wreath inside MouseGears or something.

scottb411

I went to SeaWorld last year for their Christmas events and Disney World this year for their Christmas events and SeaWorld has a lot more to offer as far as celebrating Christmas in an individual park than any of the Disney parks without having to pay for a separate event.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe Disney is trying to turn to neutral for this holiday. Except for MK where you pay a extra price for a Christmas party.
Possibly, but I doubt it.

Disney is like every other company in that they like money. If they put up X and it costs them $500k, but results in the making $750k they will continue to put up X.

What we have been seeing is the opposite side of that equation. If they take away X they save $500k and the crowds just keep on coming resulting in a $500k +/- savings.

They are trying to see how close to the bone they can cut and still maintain the same or similar attendance numbers and spending habits.

mikenatcity1

I went on the Yuletide Fantasy tour last Wednesday where they take everyone to Holiday Services, the department that is responsible for the decorating. Someone asked a question similar to this- why does it seem that there are less decorations in recent years than in years past. The answer was 2 fold- sometimes technology becomes to expensive to replace (didn't confirm, but probably relating to the Lights of Winter) and they have run out of storage room for everything. There is an 80k sq ft warehouse and a few semis that store all of the decor (for all 4 theme parks, all golf courses and hotels, 1 water park, Vero Beach, Hilton Hea, 4 cruise ships, the terminal and Castaway Cay). Unfortuantely, they don't have room to store everything and add when more locations are added so they repurpose it and spread it out (vs the days where there were a few hotels and 2 theme parks). Coming off the Disney Dream this week I can tell you there are a great deal of decorations there and on the island. While it may not be an accurate reason, it sure makes sense when you see everything that a lot of parks and other locations have to offer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I went on the Yuletide Fantasy tour last Wednesday where they take everyone to Holiday Services, the department that is responsible for the decorating. Someone asked a question similar to this- why does it seem that there are less decorations in recent years than in years past. The answer was 2 fold- sometimes technology becomes to expensive to replace (didn't confirm, but probably relating to the Lights of Winter) and they have run out of storage room for everything. There is an 80k sq ft warehouse and a few semis that store all of the decor (for all 4 theme parks, all golf courses and hotels, 1 water park, Vero Beach, Hilton Hea, 4 cruise ships, the terminal and Castaway Cay). Unfortuantely, they don't have room to store everything and add when more locations are added so they repurpose it and spread it out (vs the days where there were a few hotels and 2 theme parks). Coming off the Disney Dream this week I can tell you there are a great deal of decorations there and on the island. While it may not be an accurate reason, it sure makes sense when you see everything that a lot of parks and other locations have to offer.
The simple answer is of course build more storage or for that matter just buy it. How many empty mega stores are in or around the WDW area right now that could be had for pennies on the dollar?

Sadly it all comes down to this one unfortunate truth. The people keep coming so why should they keep making it better.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The simple answer is of course build more storage or for that matter just buy it. How many empty mega stores are in or around the WDW area right now that could be had for pennies on the dollar?

Sadly it all comes down to this one unfortunate truth. The people keep coming so why should they keep making it better.
Agree with this. Lack of storage is, quite frankly, a lame answer. There is no constraint (legal, physical, practical, contractual, or otherwise) on how much storage space is devoted to holiday decorations.

Disney has decided that the costs of buying, storing and displaying the decorations doesn't produce a great enough return to justify the investment. That's fine...a business decision. But to say "we ran out of storage space" as if getting more storage space is actually difficult in some way is just silly.

space42

For the amount of money it costs to actually go see these decorations there really is no excuse other than greed. The Walt Disney Company is posting record profits at the same time as constantly cutting back what they offer. If they are out of space they should build a larger warehouse. If technology is 'obsolete' then they should replace it. It is expensive to replace?? No excuses - no apoligies - period. Read the below quote from their earnings statement. This is borderline obscene!

November 7, 2013|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
Walt Disney Co. reported another quarter of double-digit profit growth Thursday, boosted by higher summer prices for tickets and hotel rooms at Walt Disney World and the company's other theme-park resorts.

The results capped a fiscal year in which Burbank, Calif.-based Disney turned a profit of $6.1 billion, an 8 percent jump from 2012. Sales across the media-and-entertainment giant rose 7 percent for the year to $45 billion, another company record.

Vernonpush

Even Osborne Lights at Studios was less than last year. I've heard a rumor that next year Osborne Lights will be at Epcot due to construction at the Studios in that area.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Even Osborne Lights at Studios was less than last year. I've heard a rumor that next year Osborne Lights will be at Epcot due to construction at the Studios in that area.
Nothing is missing from the Osborne Lighrs that I am aware of. What are you referring to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom