Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Patcheslee

I was solo so and I paid $120. I can't give you a good sense of it as I rarely buy it. We have been going end of January usually and find it's not needed as wait times aren't that bad.

Take Cedar Point for a good example of cost. My wife and I go in May and again in July. In July due to how busy is it we almost always buy Fastlane. On average Fastlane costs about $170 per person a day. We go for 3 days so it's about $1000 for the 3 days on top of our park tickets.
Wow, we planned 2020 being focused on Cedar Fair parks, so ended up getting the Season Fastlane. From what I recall during planning, the seasonal one bought for $749 saved us close to $2k across 10 park days. Cedar Point and Kings Island for 3 of us.

Jrb1979

Wow, we planned 2020 being focused on Cedar Fair parks, so ended up getting the Season Fastlane. From what I recall during planning, the seasonal one bought for $749 saved us close to $2k across 10 park days. Cedar Point and Kings Island for 3 of us.
I live near Canada's Wonderland so we go there more often then another Cedar Fair park. Its not worth it for us to buy it.

MickeyLuv'r

As far as price is concerned, how much did you pay for Express Pass the last time you visited? How many days and for how many people? I’m trying to get a sense of what people who go there actually do as far as buying the passes.
I was going to post numbers to this thread, but then trimmed my post. I happened to price early August earlier today.

Early August Royal Pacific runs $4?? (I forget exact $$) but drops to $384 with the AP discount. Later in August no AP discount out yet, but rack rates for basic room is $384 before tax. Earlier in August, Sapphire Falls- really nice hotel just no EP- runs $179 w/ AP discount (or - I think $244 rack). Differ between RP and SF = $204

With a 3 night stay at Sapphire Falls- a US AP pays for the difference between a 2 day hopper and the AP.

Depends how many people pre room, but 4 people (2 adults/2kids) you'd get unlimited EP for 2 days for roughly $218. So that works out to about $27.25 per person per day. if you had only 3 people it would be $37 per person.

If you stay 2 nights, you get 3 days so that would be $36.33/person/day if 4ppl, or $48.44/person/day if 3 pple.

These are seasonal prices. The cost of the hotel would be higher/lower at other times of year, and I don't always get it. Depends on price, my budget, and how crowded the parks will be, and how much I care. I think $36 is reasonable.

BUT clearly this is doing rough calculations of two onsite hotels, some offsite hotels cost less/more than Sapphire Falls.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I was going to post numbers to this thread, but then trimmed my post. I happened to price early August earlier today.

Early August Royal Pacific runs $4?? (I forget exact $$) but drops to $384 with the AP discount. Later in August no AP discount out yet, but rack rates for basic room is $384 before tax. Earlier in August, Sapphire Falls- really nice hotel just no EP- runs $179 w/ AP discount (or - I think $244 rack). Differ between RP and SF = $204

With a 3 night stay at Sapphire Falls- a US AP pays for the difference between a 2 day hopper and the AP.

Depends how many people pre room, but 4 people (2 adults/2kids) you'd get unlimited EP for 2 days for roughly $218. So that works out to about $27.25 per person per day. if you had only 3 people it would be $37 per person.

If you stay 2 nights, you get 3 days so that would be $36.33/person/day if 4ppl, or $48.44/person/day if 3 pple.

These are seasonal prices. The cost of the hotel would be higher/lower at other times of year, and I don't always get it. Depends on price, my budget, and how crowded the parks will be, and how much I care. I think $36 is reasonable.

BUT clearly this is doing rough calculations of two onsite hotels, some offsite hotels cost less/more than Sapphire Falls.
You get free express passes when you stay at Royal Pacific, right? That's great!

Chi84

Premium Member
You get free express passes when you stay at Royal Pacific, right? That's great!
My question was more along the lines of how much people pay if they don’t stay in a resort that gives out free Express Passes. I wholeheartedly agree that Express Pass is the way to go at WDW if the deluxe resorts give out free passes. The consensus seems to be that Disney would not do this.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
My question was more along the lines of how much people pay if they don’t stay in a resort that gives out free Express Passes. I wholeheartedly agree that Express Pass is the way to go at WDW if the deluxe resorts give out free passes. The consensus seems to be that Disney would not do this.
Why would they? The richest guest that pretty much either dont care about $ or feel paying extremely high premiums is worth it will be the perfect customer to pay another ridiculous up charge if they ever went to an express pass model.

Jrb1979

They can't as there is far too many rooms to do it. If they did it wouldn't be available to anyone else. A way to make it work is give a discount depending on resort level you are staying at. It would still have to be priced at high level but not to high that it affects VIP sales.

Disstevefan1

Well the site says Universal Express pass from $79 one park one ride per attraction, from $109 one park unlimited times, I presumed its tiered prices and more during peak times?

The only time we used express pass was when we stayed one night at Portofino, you got two days of express pass, check in and check out days.

All the other times we visited Universal, we just used stand by. I just think Universal system is better; even for folks who don't have a express pass.

I totally agree, Disney should offer a express pass like product to people staying at the deluxe resorts.

Jrb1979

Well the site says Universal Express pass from $79 one park one ride per attraction, from $109 one park unlimited times, I presumed its tiered prices and more during peak times?

The only time we used express pass was when we stayed one night at Portofino, you got two days of express pass, check in and check out days.

All the other times we visited Universal, we just used stand by. I just think Universal system is better; even for folks who don't have a express pass.

I totally agree, Disney should offer a express pass like product to people staying at the deluxe resorts.
You give those guests express pass and you can't offer it to anyone else as there isn't enough capacity for it to work.

Jrb1979

If they limited it to one park per day and only LL use per ride per day it might work out.
I doubt it would. It's been mentioned a couple of times by a few people that they need to cap Genie+ to 10% of guests. I would imagine it would be the same for an express pass

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I doubt it would. It's been mentioned a couple of times by a few people that they need to cap Genie+ to 10% of guests. I would imagine it would be the same for an express pass
Only issue i feel an express pass will create especially at the other parks not as much as MK but definitely somewhat is everyone looking to ride the same attraction at once or at least a decent amount. Then what? At least with FP and Genie time slots assure you that unless ride breaks down thats not going to happen

Jrb1979

Only issue i feel an express pass will create especially at the other parks not as much as MK but definitely somewhat is everyone looking to ride the same attraction at once or at least a decent amount. Then what? At least with FP and Genie time slots assure you that unless ride breaks down thats not going to happen
It wouldn't happen very often as it wouldn't be available to everyone like Genie+ and FP+ is now.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
It wouldn't happen very often as it wouldn't be available to everyone like Genie+ and FP+ is now.
Not saying it would happen often but i imagine it happening enough to cause an issue. Imagine paying say $200 pp to what is possibly billed out as walk right on GoTG or FoP or Rise. So on and so forth and being stuck in line for over 30-40 minutes. Cant picture that going over too well and no way you can say imo that wouldnt be the case.

TheMaxRebo

Not saying it would happen often but i imagine it happening enough to cause an issue. Imagine paying say $200 pp to what is possibly billed out as walk right on GoTG or FoP or Rise. So on and so forth and being stuck in line for over 30-40 minutes. Cant picture that going over too well and no way you can say imo that wouldnt be the case.

Definitely would happen and I could see people doing it for like one day of their trip - we will buy it for today and do Rise a bunch of times and then do another DHS day we don't pay for it to cover other stuff

Jrb1979

Definitely would happen and I could see people doing it for like one day of their trip - we will buy it for today and do Rise a bunch of times and then do another DHS day we don't pay for it to cover other stuff
You wouldn't be able to do that cause my guess is they would still keep it to once per ride.

Purduevian

Universal always states the express pass line is half of the standby wait. I would say they usually beat this, but I did wait like 30 minutes in the Spiderman express line once. Standby was posted at 75 minutes.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
You wouldn't be able to do that cause my guess is they would still keep it to once per ride.
which is another awful feature of genie and if they ever went to express pass. w/o 2 options like uni has... this is also yet another mindboggling thing. There were many many times i would have a FP for a top attraction and then during day be able to get another one for the same ride so on and so forth yet w genie its a mad scramble and these disappear and become non existent

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom