Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Thepuma

One thing that caught me out last week..and I never realised it...but we had a park reservation for Magic Kingdom...but wanted to book Avatar paid LL for the evening so at least we had it in the bag for later, so booked that before we head off in the morning to MK...we had not entered MK at this point and its a good job we never booked the uber to MK as I double checked and the app had automatically changed my reservation from MK to AK.....which I thought was naughty as it was not made clear anywhere that it had been changed.

It did mess our plans up for the day but nothing major as we just had to go to AK first.. wait till 2pm and go to MK....then head back to AK late for Avatar.

Which begs the question....if you are desperate to go to MK for instance but can only get an Epcot reservation...just book a MK lightning Lane and you'll automatically get that MK reservation you wanted.

Last edited:

Thepuma

This is another reason I don't have any current plans to return -- the park reservations but most especially the park hopping limitations. That combined with Genie+ sounds like I won't be able to have the experience I want.
What park hopping limitations are there....you can reserve ANY park and then transfer to any other park at 2pm?

natatomic

The absolute ease of use of Genie++ and what appears to be such a basic lack of knowledge or ability to use an app that my 10 year old can handle is mindboggling, but I hope continues as it makes our experience so much better.

This morning was our dining reservation day for our upcoming trip which includes 4th of July weekend. Using the new app and Genie++ interface, we set up our restaurant preferences on Sunday. Our trip includes 10 people spread across 3 households, and involved plans for sit down meals at each one of the parks across the length of the stay. We "cheated" slightly by calling ahead to Rain Forest Cafe for a reservation for 10 for lunch on our AK day, and they gave us the reservation more than 60 days out of our trip date.

The 10 year old was excited for today and woke up early before 6 to "help" dad with reservations. Its only an hour before he normally gets up for school so not a big deal in grand scheme of things. As the naval clock went to 6am we booted up our apps and I went right to MK for the 4th and managed to get not one, but two reservations for Cinderella's Royal table. Going back in time we hit up Epcott and got 2 reservations for San Angel Inn. We have always loved the Mexican Pavilion and 3Cab ride, so thought it would be a cool place to eat, get out of the mid July heat, and try some of the cool 50th anniversary deserts. Only disappointment (personal) was that we didn't' get reservation for 10 at Space 220, but as this is earlier in the trip, and we are going to want flexibility for LL for Rat and GotG, not a total loss.

Next we secured a reservation for 10 at Mama Melrose. This has become a family favorite at HS as it just has something for all our eaters, and doesn't take a long time to eat there. Again with indoor seating and AC, a benefit for a respite from the heat of the day. Now I had pre-loaded all these restaurants on my tip board that day prior so basically this entire process had taken maybe 5min. But my 10 year starts asking me if we can go to Olga's. Now I am a big fan of Olgas (the pettri dish gel shot drink with pop rocks is just insane.) But as it was not a first choice for our party of 10, I told him we would see after getting all of our main dinner/lunch reservations done. However as I was booking Mama Melrose, he looks at me and says "Dad we get to go to Olgas too." When I said I will check, he says, no I booked it already on Mom's phone. Sure enough he had logged into my wife's phone and booked the reservation for himself. DOUBLE win.

So, absent space, in 10mins time, without logging onto a computer or needing to get out of bed (although i did as to not wake up the afore mentioned wife) using the new Genie app we were able to book out a weeks worth of dining reservations for 10 people, including CRT on the 4th of July. Talk about a smooth and efficient system.
Man, this is one trip report I am looking forward to hearing. I’m marking my calendar for early July to see how Genie+ panned out for you in actuality. Promise me you’ll report back!

Thepuma

The 2 PM time is the limitation that bothers me. The last couple of times I've been I was park hopping by 12 on at least a couple of days.
Hmm.....2pm is really 1 ish...as, if you leave a park just after 1pm, you'll do well to get to the other park and be at the gate much before 2pm.

How are you spending such little time in a park...I mean, we've done Animal Kingdon in a couple of hours with rope dropping FOP, but I'd be amazed at getting round the other parks in 3 or so hours.

Having said that...today we covered all 4 parks..so hey, we can't talk

UNCgolf

Hmm.....2pm is really 1 ish...as, if you leave a park just after 1pm, you'll do well to get to the other park and be at the gate much before 2pm.

How are you spending such little time in a park...I mean, we've done Animal Kingdon in a couple of hours with rope dropping FOP, but I'd be amazed at getting round the other parks in 3 or so hours.

We usually go for a week and do one day in each park, then hop around the other days. So it can be something like go for one specific ride because we were able to get a FP+ that day (which is now no longer a thing, but this could also apply to getting an ILL), and then hop elsewhere because we only went to whichever park that morning for one specific thing.

It's also nice to skip breakfast and then hop to EPCOT for an early lunch.

Last edited:

pdude81

One thing that caught me out last week..and I never realised it...but we had a park reservation for Magic Kingdom...but wanted to book Avatar paid LL for the evening so at least we had it in the bag for later, so booked that before we head off in the morning to MK...we had not entered MK at this point and its a good job we never booked the uber to MK as I double checked and the app had automatically changed my reservation from MK to AK.....which I thought was naughty as it was not made clear anywhere that it had been changed.

It did mess our plans up for the day but nothing major as we just had to go to AK first.. wait till 2pm and go to MK....then head back to AK late for Avatar.

Which begs the question....if you are desperate to go to MK for instance but can only get an Epcot reservation...just book a MK lightning Lane and you'll automatically get that MK reservation you wanted.
MDE doesn't even do park reservations in the app. It makes you go out to the web browser to handle them separately.

Chi84

Premium Member

There must have been some sort of glitch. The app doesn't automatically change park reservations.

DisneyCane

If you only want to hit a couple of things it doesn't take that long. Recently we rope dropped Epcot (non EE), Rode TT and Frozen then walked to the Boardwalk to grab something to eat at the Bakery. Walked back to Epcot. Took the Skyliner back and forth to Riviera because we've never ridden before and figured why not. Then we rode SSE and were leaving before noon to go get lunch at DS.

Obviously, if you want to experience a full park then hopping before 2 isn't necessary.

Thepuma

MDE doesn't even do park reservations in the app. It makes you go out to the web browser to handle them separately.
Well I can tell you 100% we had a park reservation for Magic Kingdom.....then, we bought an ILL for FOP...its only when I went and checked our plans that I saw that Dosney had swapped the reservation to Animal kingdom, without advising us.

This 100% happened- you don't have to believe it.

DisneyDreamer08

Well I can tell you 100% we had a park reservation for Magic Kingdom.....then, we bought an ILL for FOP...its only when I went and checked our plans that I saw that Dosney had swapped the reservation to Animal kingdom, without advising us.

This 100% happened- you don't have to believe it.
I believe it happened but it was likely a glitch. This is not a normal thing. I was there this past February and had a park reservation for DHS but purchased an ILL for Remy for later in the day.

Thepuma

There must have been some sort of glitch. The app doesn't automatically change park reservations.

Well, we are in Orlando all week so I will
try it again.

I think it did it because when I booked the FoP LL I hadn't yet got in to MK.

I assume the thought process for Disney is...if someone is booking a LL for FoP at AK they will want a reservation for AK rather than MK. I guess if I had already tapped in to MK it would be different.

I'll report back when I do it again later this week.

I doubt it's a glitch, it will be a procedure for sure.

Thepuma

I believe it happened but it was likely a glitch. This is not a normal thing. I was there this past February and had a park reservation for DHS but purchased an ILL for Remy for later in the day.
As I say I will try it again later this week. I think if you're already in your reservation park then it won't change it, but is probably the case if you haven't got to a park yet.

I mean, it definitely said my reservation was AK hence why I had to change the Uber destination last minute...but I do wonder if I (in effect) may have had a reservation for BOTH parks. I mean, what would be the point of them selling me a LL if I didn't have a reservation for that park that day?

Jeff4272

As I say I will try it again later this week. I think if you're already in your reservation park then it won't change it, but is probably the case if you haven't got to a park yet.

I mean, it definitely said my reservation was AK hence why I had to change the Uber destination last minute...but I do wonder if I (in effect) may have had a reservation for BOTH parks. I mean, what would be the point of them selling me a LL if I didn't have a reservation for that park that day?
Had to have been a glitch or you booked it incorrectly to begin with and didn't realize because that's not how it works

Chip Chipperson

It shouldn't matter whether you've entered the park you made a reservation for. I booked a 4 PM Remy ILL for myself and my wife at 7 AM on a day where I had a DHS reservation back in December and had no issues with our park reservation being switched.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No

How sure are you that someone else in your party didn’t get confused and change it? I only ask this because I’ve seen dozens of reports of people who bought ILL before park open for their hopper park and none had an issue like this. If automatically switching parks in this scenario was WDW’s intention, we should see other cases. It could be a glitch. Not 100% impossible when it comes to Disney IT, lol. There have also been no reports of a guest having reservations in 2 parks the same morning on the same ticket… doesn’t seem likely either.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom