Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Disney4Lyfe

Only thing is, when it's that slow, you really don't need it.....

Its not worth waking up at 6:45, being on ur phone all day, not being able to tour the park as you like, criss crossing based on the fact you get next available time, potential of overlapping with dining reservations, potential with overlapping with park hopping, etc

That's the problem with Genie+, when it's slow, you don't need it, when its busy, its not worth it
WELL JEFF!!!!

I already paid for it, soooo, let me pretend it's gonna be great. OKAY???

lol

madmartigan

Trip upcoming next week, and based on reviews we've had from friends and family the last few months, I am absolutely dreading it. Everyone has suggested Disney Genie/Lightning Lane is a nightmare, between having to wake up at 7 am and *hope* you get rides you were targeting and then having to be glued to your phone for the entire day (Quote "make sure to bring that portable cell phone battery charger"). I consider these folks Disney diehards and sentiment has been "we aren't sure we'll be prioritizing Disney trips as much going forward".

Disney4Lyfe

Trip upcoming next week, and based on reviews we've had from friends and family the last few months, I am absolutely dreading it. Everyone has suggested Disney Genie/Lightning Lane is a nightmare, between having to wake up at 7 am and *hope* you get rides you were targeting and then having to be glued to your phone for the entire day (Quote "make sure to bring that portable cell phone battery charger"). I consider these folks Disney diehards and sentiment has been "we aren't sure we'll be prioritizing Disney trips as much going forward".
I have heard this as well. From DVC members to boot!

Skibum1970

That does summarize my experience as well. The only individual Lightning Lane I bought was MMRR because all the others were gone. Also, booking regular Lightning Lane attractions is a trial of patience. Unlike FP+ where you literally picked what you wanted and for when you wanted and the app was easy, this becomes a grit your teeth and bear it. I also didn't like that I couldn't really pick my times all that well.

Purduevian

The system is rough, but don't dread it.

My #1 tip is don't be super locked into one touring plan, you have to go with the flow a little bit.

For instance: My goal at 7am was to get one of the mountains in the first 45 minutes of the park open prioritized Splash>Thunder>Space. Ended up with a 9:25am Splash.
Later in the day after tapping into space mountain, the goal was to get something in either Tomorrowland or fantasyland ASAP. Pooh>Buzz>mermaid for me. Ended up with a pooh ~1 hour away. So after space we rode the people mover, shopped, then got some snacks.

Know what you would find to be an "acceptable" LL and refresh for 2 or 3 minutes to see if one of those pop up in the acceptable range. If nothing does, change your definition of acceptable to include either lesser rides or further out times. Again spend 2-3 minutes. After ~5minutes total, grab whatever was the closest thing to what you wanted and move on with your day.

If you go in saying I have to get a space mountain and I'm taking whatever time there is. You are probably going to have a bad time.

Gearbm95

This new clause of 2-3 rides a day is not great news for genie+. But people will keep buying it. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t because they believe a trip will be unmanageable without it. As opposed to frustrating with it

After the last two days in the park I’ve talked to numerous people that are frustrated with this. Ended up getting a refund on my G+ yesterday for our group. There were at least 2 other groups in Guest Services voicing their frustrations.

Chi84

Premium Member
To all of you complaining, be a rebel and don’t buy one! If you get early entry and are willing to wait in 1-2 45 min waits you don’t need it.
I think Disney is hoping Genie+ will be used by the people who don't want to go to the parks early and wait in 45-minute lines. From what I'm hearing, it's of limited utility for people who rope-drop and don't mind waiting in long lines. It's probably directed at the folks who didn't mind FP+ because they weren't interested in riding all the rides - just guaranteeing a few they really wanted.

UNCgolf

It's probably directed at the folks who didn't mind FP+ because they weren't interested in riding all the rides - just guaranteeing a few they really wanted.

Except it's apparently not even useful for that, which is the biggest problem. You have to be up in time for rope drop to use it effectively anyways on busier days.

I'm not sure I'll go to Disney while this system is in place -- I was not a fan of FP+, but it was significantly better than Genie+ because I could get the rides I actually wanted. I'm not interested in waiting in long lines all day to ride the 3 or 4 rides I actually really want to ride, because it isn't possible to get Genie+ times for all of them (or potentially any).

Ayla

This new clause of 2-3 rides a day is not great news for genie+. But people will keep buying it. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t because they believe a trip will be unmanageable without it. As opposed to frustrating with it
I'm not buying it for my upcoming trip.

SamandplanningUK

We are going in July during high crowds and I would rather spend time in lines but do less per day than get Genie, it's the principle of the thing. We'll spread the rides across multiple days (14 days as we are from the UK).

Not so much the having to pay for it but the time spent on phones and the early rising on a VACATION that should be time spent relaxing or enjoying time in the parks without the need to whip out the phones to check what we can get on next or what time we have to wait until to get on the ride we want. If we paid for it we'd want to put it to good use so it would end up ruling our day.

Weirdly, I am not mourning the loss of Fastpass as we found having to stick to a time schedule didn't suit us as a family.
Freedom of choice/flexibility win out for us every time.

DisneyCane

How to quickly fix genie+

Bring back the old system where we can book 3 in advance. Charge for it. Done.
If they did that they'd have to severely limit sales. People would have the expectation that if they buy it, it will guarantee they can book the 3 that they want. No matter how many disclaimers there are, it would be a guest services nightmare when people can't get reservations for the popular rides after they paid.

TikibirdLand

If Disney was smart (I crack myself up) they would use Will Smith’s, AKA Genie’s, Oscar outburst to fix/change Genie+.
Another option a friend of mine suggested, the new Genie+ could be walking up to the entrance of a ride and slapping the CM.
Not the CM's fault that Genie sucks. Maybe some execs need to come to park and actually experience Genie+. I'm betting that would cause an immediate change.

Jeff4272

We are going in July during high crowds and I would rather spend time in lines but do less per day than get Genie, it's the principle of the thing. We'll spread the rides across multiple days (14 days as we are from the UK).

Not so much the having to pay for it but the time spent on phones and the early rising on a VACATION that should be time spent relaxing or enjoying time in the parks without the need to whip out the phones to check what we can get on next or what time we have to wait until to get on the ride we want. If we paid for it we'd want to put it to good use so it would end up ruling our day.

Weirdly, I am not mourning the loss of Fastpass as we found having to stick to a time schedule didn't suit us as a family.
Freedom of choice/flexibility win out for us every time.
Well this system offers neither.........that's the ironic part of Genie-, they made it to change all the pre planning and provide spontaneity and it's done completely opposite.

If you have to have park reservations and you have to book dining so far in advance, where's the spontaneity in that?

Genie+ doesn't allow you to pick return times so its got you criss crossing the parks and on your phone all day........theres no freedom in that

TikibirdLand

So $5-$7.50 per LL multiplied by how many are in your party.

Just scrap the whole thing and replace it with a dynamically priced ILL at every attraction where you purchase LL right before you enter at a price based on how long the standby line is currently.
I remember suggesting this before Genie became a thing...
Let's have an app where you can bid on a place in line. It expires at the top of each hour for the next hour. Then, all you have to do is decide how badly you want to go on the attraction. Guest satisfaction would be through the roof -- for those that won!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom