Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
Noithing to do with the UK government. It's purely Disney's choice to exclude international visitors from the pre-arrival booking window, no overseas government forced them to do this. And at this point you're just trolling.
Plus it applies to every international guest. Except Canadians.

So “obviously” all the governments of the world are to blame. Not Disney.

Mark Dunne

You can roll your eyes all you want. It is what it is. Be annoyed at your government.
Ok so if you came over to the uk, and we had Disney parks thats you visited, id expect Disney to look after you, and the reason this should happen, is you are far more likely to spend more money as your a tourist, where as i as a uk resident, would prob not spend as much, so i don't expect our perks to be the same, i think you'll find that the UK market is huge for WDW, and we spend thousands of dollars arriving, and buying merch etc, so this should be a perk for us . otherwise staying at a resort will mean nothing for us, TBH i was so chuffed that LL was changing to this, but now hoping they'll change for us going forward.

Mark Dunne

Anyway, the UK has now had a change of government. Perhaps this will unleash a whole new era of Disney development.
Well it looks like universal is on its way, to quote a WDW classic, uk is under new management, id rather have the tiki birds in charge than this lot 🤭

Chip Chipperson

Could the issue be that you are technically paying for specific attractions since you make your pick and then pay? FP+ was free and G+ didn't guarantee anything, so that "pick and then pay" situation seems like it could be an issue with international consumer protection laws since Disney is stating that their policy is no refunds. In the US and Canada, the fine print likely protects Disney from any changes in availability due to a ride breaking down or weather causing a ride to temporarily close. I don't know what the laws are in other countries, but maybe that's the reason they aren't letting international guests buy until they're in the US.

nickys

Premium Member
Could the issue be that you are technically paying for specific attractions since you make your pick and then pay? FP+ was free and G+ didn't guarantee anything, so that "pick and then pay" situation seems like it could be an issue with international consumer protection laws since Disney is stating that their policy is no refunds. In the US and Canada, the fine print likely protects Disney from any changes in availability due to a ride breaking down or weather causing a ride to temporarily close. I don't know what the laws are in other countries, but maybe that's the reason they aren't letting international guests buy until they're in the US.
Well then why let us book hotels, tickets, pre-paid dining, mobile orders? And G+ when you could pre-pay?
It’s possible though I guess. But again, other visitor attractions manage it just fine.

Mark Dunne

Maybe, but it’s so frustrating, we spend thousands of pound to stay in WDW, and we get 1/2 hr early entry, even book through WDW, they need to think of international guests, . I’m gutted to be honest, was really looking forward like years ago when you could book it all up, taking my mum for the first time, was saying that we can book it up to help take the stress away, then they add , not for uk guests. Not good, thx for info though 👍

ConfettiCupcake

I just can’t imagine there isn’t a workaround that can be had if Disney was motivated enough to do so.

If the issue is really selling specific attraction times and not just a general Genie+ purchase, to this non lawyer the obvious solution would be an international version that forces the purchase before the booking. Is it perfect, no, but I imagine they could figure out a way availability could be viewed pre purchase.

I find it odd that would be the big issue preventing it though, as that feels like it would a very country specific barrier given the way Disney does sell other non refundable things to international guests. Because of the way Canada was initially included in international guests, this non lawyer is assuming it’s technology related on Disneys end and it was quickly realized Canadians are functionally the same as Americans from their POV.

Ayla

Noithing to do with the UK government. It's purely Disney's choice to exclude international visitors from the pre-arrival booking window, no overseas government forced them to do this. And at this point you're just trolling.
Nope.

Chip Chipperson

Well then why let us book hotels, tickets, pre-paid dining, mobile orders? And G+ when you could pre-pay?
It’s possible though I guess. But again, other visitor attractions manage it just fine.
The difference is that room reservations have a different refund policy and it is unlikely that you will arrive at WDW to find that you don't have a room and the parks are all closed. Mobile food order is done when you are on-property (or nearby), not days ahead of time before youve even boarded your flight - and when was the last time someone ordered food only to go pick it up and be told, "Sorry, we'reactuall out of hamburgers" AND not get refunded?

Again, G+ only guaranteed the ability to choose from the available times - not a guarantee that you would get a specific ride within a specific window if time, so the products aren't comparable for this scenario.

I'm not familiar with what other US parks allow guests to pre-book specific rides in advance, so I can't compare. The parks I know of either use Universal's system or something closer to G+ or ILL as a day-of purchase.

Chip Chipperson

Maybe, but it’s so frustrating, we spend thousands of pound to stay in WDW, and we get 1/2 hr early entry, even book through WDW, they need to think of international guests, . I’m gutted to be honest, was really looking forward like years ago when you could book it all up, taking my mum for the first time, was saying that we can book it up to help take the stress away, then they add , not for uk guests. Not good, thx for info though 👍
I absolutely understand the frustration. I'd be annoyed if I was in that boat, too. If there's a way around it then I'm sure Disney's lawyers will figure it out eventually - it's better for their business if they do, so they certainly have motivation to try, but I'm also sure they want to be 100% certain that it won't cause any problems for the company before they allow it.

Saskdw

I saw a post on one of the boards that said the regulations regarding apps has a lot more hoops to jump through. So the initial issue for UK guests is that this product is strictly through the app and not on the website.

Still doesn't excuse Disney not offering more information though. Like " we are working on this issue ".

Mark Dunne

The difference is that room reservations have a different refund policy and it is unlikely that you will arrive at WDW to find that you don't have a room and the parks are all closed. Mobile food order is done when you are on-property (or nearby), not days ahead of time before youve even boarded your flight - and when was the last time someone ordered food only to go pick it up and be told, "Sorry, we'reactuall out of hamburgers" AND not get refunded?

Again, G+ only guaranteed the ability to choose from the available times - not a guarantee that you would get a specific ride within a specific window if time, so the products aren't comparable for this scenario.

I'm not familiar with what other US parks allow guests to pre-book specific rides in advance, so I can't compare. The parks I know of either use Universal's system or something closer to G+ or ILL as a day-of purchase.
It’s a perk that should be for ALL guest staying at WDW resorts, just add it to the main booking easy! If I need to book a dolphin experience in Epcot, I can do this! It’s the same thing, I’d have to book the dolphin exp months in advance , and will be for Jan as my mums birthday pressie, I think Disney will change this, honestly I do, the backlash will be bad press for them, your not just talking a few thousand affected , it’s millions ! So yeah if they have sense they will find a way 🙏

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I absolutely understand the frustration. I'd be annoyed if I was in that boat, too. If there's a way around it then I'm sure Disney's lawyers will figure it out eventually - it's better for their business if they do, so they certainly have motivation to try, but I'm also sure they want to be 100% certain that it won't cause any problems for the company before they allow it.
No no no, Disney is intentionally leaving revenue on the table for no other reason than to screw UK guests, don't you see?

Honestly, I don't even understand what conspiracy is being alleged here. "Disney screws XYZ category of guest to maximize their profits" is a conspiracy that's at least plausible. But in this case people are saying "Disney screws UK guests to... minimze?... their profits."

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I saw a post on one of the boards that said the regulations regarding apps has a lot more hoops to jump through. So the initial issue for UK guests is that this product is strictly through the app and not on the website.

Still doesn't excuse Disney not offering more information though. Like " we are working on this issue ".
Wait I'm not going to be able to do my pre-booking on the website?

Dang this really is all the worst things about G+ mixed with FP+.

ConfettiCupcake

No no no, Disney is intentionally leaving revenue on the table for no other reason than to screw UK guests, don't you see?

Honestly, I don't even understand what conspiracy is being alleged here. "Disney screws XYZ category of guest to maximize their profits" is a conspiracy that's at least plausible. But in this case people are saying "Disney screws UK guests to... minimze?... their profits."

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy I think it’s your run of the mill questionable if not short sighted decision and will probably be rectified at some point but not without heavily inconveniencing the earliest guests first.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don’t think it’s a conspiracy I think it’s your run of the mill questionable if not short sighted decision and will probably be rectified at some point but not without heavily inconveniencing the earliest guests first.
There's no decision.

This is LITERALLY a pure revenue stream. If they're not using it, it's because they can't. There's no reason they'd just choose not to bother.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom