Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

TQQQ

@lentesta alluded to some other announcement and didn't comment further either this week or last.

Might be genie+ related!

He also discussed a survey about where you spend money at the parks which may be Disney figuring out if Genie+ is stealing money from dining or merch. He even mentioned, based in TP data that hopper purchases are down too.

When they announce whatever changes they are doing, you may see stuff like "Free Dining" but instead of a force hopper ticket it's a forced G+ for your duration hoping you spend more money on food and merch instead.

This is just me guessing obviously.
It was on his "Whats new in 2024" video (the guy that everyone doesnt like, even though i dont know what that means or why nobody likes him)......says its a rumor but that changes will be dropping “very soon, within the next week, two or three"

JD80

It was on his "Whats new in 2024" video (the guy that everyone doesnt like, even though i dont know what that means or why nobody likes him)......says its a rumor but that changes will be dropping “very soon, within the next week, two or three"
Every content creator is tingling with rumors and excitement.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
(Why would anyone be happy paying hundreds of dollars per person and more on top of that for G+/ILL only to find out they still have large gaps of downtime.)

It's part of the MAGIC!!! of a Walt Disney World vacation! And you're happy to pay, because the marketing campaign magic showing little Johnny watching a legion of Stormtroopers march out of an elevator and little Susie swimming with a mermaid in the resort pool, followed by randomly meeting Mickey Mouse in the center of an empty Fantasyland is just too good.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
@lentesta alluded to some other announcement and didn't comment further either this week or last.

Might be genie+ related!

He also discussed a survey about where you spend money at the parks which may be Disney figuring out if Genie+ is stealing money from dining or merch. He even mentioned, based in TP data that hopper purchases are down too.

When they announce whatever changes they are doing, you may see stuff like "Free Dining" but instead of a force hopper ticket it's a forced G+ for your duration hoping you spend more money on food and merch instead.

This is just me guessing obviously.
Disney surveys are always crafted to justify their desired outcome. By framing the question in terms that put more emphasis on positive responses, they can use the responses to validate their actions. They've done this with everything from G+ to food and beverage price increases.

I can guarantee you that their interpretation of surveys done on G+ are overwhelmingly positive and have been used to justify and reinforce what they've done with it.

James Alucobond

Disney surveys are always crafted to justify their desired outcome. By framing the question in terms that put more emphasis on positive responses, they can use the responses to validate their actions. They've done this with everything from G+ to food and beverage price increases.

I can guarantee you that their interpretation of surveys done on G+ are overwhelmingly positive and have been used to justify and reinforce what they've done with it.
You're talking about internal data. It's not like they publish the results of their surveys to us, so there's very little incentive for them to waste resources sending out rigged questions to manipulate responses in this way for the sort of business decisions you're talking about. If you were talking about a specific line of business owner fudging things in order to report better metrics to his or her leader, I could believe that, but there's no reason for them to lie to themselves about, say, the way food and beverage price increases might directly impact their bottom line.

monothingie

Premium Member
You're talking about internal data. It's not like they publish the results of their surveys to us, so there's very little incentive for them to waste resources sending out rigged questions to manipulate responses in this way for the sort of business decisions you're talking about. If you were talking about a specific line of business owner fudging things in order to report better metrics to his or her leader, I could believe that, but there's no reason for them to lie to themselves about, say, the way food and beverage price increases might directly impact their bottom line.
Have you ever seen a Disney Survey? Instead of just blabbering on, look at what they’re asking and how the questions and answers are structured to give them the answer they want. This is common knowledge and sort of the joke about their surveys.

LittleBuford

Have you ever seen a Disney Survey? Instead of just blabbering on, look at what they’re asking and how the questions and answers are structured to give them the answer they want. This is common knowledge and sort of the joke about their surveys.
Here's an example of such a survey:

It includes options for negative responses.

TQQQ

Disagree. They said they were changing it based on negative guest feedback

James Alucobond

Didn’t realize three sentences was “blabbering on”.

I have taken their surveys before. I find most of their questions are properly formatted based on best practices. I agree that a question sometimes surfaces that looks like a stakeholder pushed something through against the research team’s wishes, either due to ignorance or possibly a desire to pad a specific metric. My point is that the metrics you’re talking about don’t make any sense to pad. What do they gain by willfully incorrectly gauging how much consumers will react to a possible future Genie+ price change, for instance?

monothingie

Premium Member
Disagree. They said they were changing it based on negative guest feedback
Disney rarely publicly admit to changing things due to negative feedback. The closest that I can remember recently was the elimination of resort parking fees, but even that was done without admission of negative feedback.

monothingie

Premium Member
Didn’t realize three sentences was “blabbering on”.

I have taken their surveys before. I find most of their questions are properly formatted based on best practices. I agree that a question sometimes surfaces that looks like a stakeholder pushed something through against the research team’s wishes, either due to ignorance or possibly a desire to pad a specific metric. My point is that the metrics you’re talking about don’t make any sense to pad. What do they gain by willfully incorrectly gauging how much consumers will react to a possible future Genie+ price change, for instance?
What did you think of the beans at Pecos Bill?
Excellent
Good
Fair
Just Ok
Unsatisfactory

Four of the Five of those answers would be considered positive feedback.

I would use a paid system to lower wait times at attractions.

Strongly Agree
Somewhat Agree
Somewhat Disagree
Strongly Disagree

Again 3 of the 4 responses could be considered positive response, the question also lacks context about actual details of the “paid system”

Disney has a well known corporate culture of encapsulating a bad result with at least two positive results. Crafting surveys to weigh more heavily on positive items or selectively asking questions that lack proper context and as a result manipulate user response, help them do that.

James Alucobond

Four of the Five of those answers would be considered positive feedback.
It is fairly standard plain-language Likert scale labeling, and it will get converted to a 1-5 ranking in the resultant dashboard or report. Even if you could argue that more responses seem somehow positive (which I don't think is really the case), that would actually skew the results negatively because more people than normal would select 1 over 2 or 3.

Again 3 of the 4 responses could be considered positive response, the question also lacks context about actual details of the “paid system”
I have no idea what you're talking about here. The labeling is perfectly symmetrical.

monothingie

Premium Member
I have no idea what you're talking about here. The labeling is perfectly symmetrical.
To you who doesn’t know any better it appears that way. To the analysis team who created and digests the surveys it is not.

Think of it this way, if you somewhat disagree with something, that means you don’t fully disagree. If you assign a percentage range to that, there could actually be significant percentage of that response that could be weighted as positive.

Using the example presented “I would use a paid system to lower wait times at attractions."
It’s a really simple example of how survey answers are manipulated.” If you somewhat disagree, it also means that under certain conditions you would consider using a paid system.

It’s the reason why you almost never see the binary option of agree or disagree.

Last edited:

surfsupdon

To you who doesn’t know any better it appears that way. To the analysis team who created and digests the surveys it is not.

Think of it this way, if you somewhat disagree with something, that means you don’t fully disagree. If you assign a percentage range to that, there could actually be significant percentage of that response that could be weighted as positive.

Using the example presented “I would use a paid system to lower wait times at attractions.
It’s a really simple example of how survey answers are manipulated.” If you somewhat disagree, it also means that under certain conditions you would consider using a paid system.

It’s the reason why you almost never see the binary option of agree or disagree.
And that is exactly why I always answer in absolutes....either strongly agree or strongly disagree. Those grey areas in the middle are so easy to manipulate.

monothingie

Premium Member
And that is exactly why I always answer in absolutes....either strongly agree or strongly disagree. Those grey areas in the middle are so easy to manipulate.
Even if they include the "No Opinion" option, that could even be construed as a positive response because you are not saying that you have a negative opinion on it.

I'm oversimplifying it, but using a weighted score for each question's response it could look something like this.

Strongly Agree 100
Somewhat Agree 75
No Opinon 50
Somewhat Disagree 25
Strongly Disagree 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's worse, it becomes a gridlock creator. It results in an entire park filled with people that have nothing to do. When you have a return time 5 hours from now and everything has a 2 hour wait because of G+ choking standby line access, how much shopping and or eating can family (especially with young kids) realistically do without going off the wall or having the little ones "time out".

I've noticed this in my last couple of visits, that you just see so many people on benches or walls or other locations just sitting down doing nothing. (Why would anyone be happy paying hundreds of dollars per person and more on top of that for G+/ILL only to find out they still have large gaps of downtime.)

For the kids out there…this is exactly OPPOSITE of what fastpass was created for.

The profits are in the shops…that’s where the highest yield/markup is. The point of fastpass was to streamline the rides to lessen aggravation to get you to buy other stuff with a better attitude.

Worked like a charm.

I bet this isn’t working where it counts? Even if the world has changed and e-shopping and airline baggage fees have killed the goose to an extent…watching an iPhone refresh all day costs Disney a lot of money

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom