Lighthouse Point to welcome guests in Summer 2024

asianway

Are you trying to kill me??? 😂

I know it’s early, so personally I’m giving them a lot of leeway. I’m planning to view things with fresh eyes in September when we’re there. But out of the gate, the issues being reported (walk, flies, very young vegetation, the overall feel) seems like another misstep from a company that can’t seem to put a single foot forward these days. I know Castaway had its issues early on (I remember the beach in 2002 being awful, loaded with seashells and other assorted rocks and things that were very harsh on your feet), but you’d think they’d have learned from that. 🤷‍♂️
Disney didn’t release a lot of info about the island in advance and it’s easy to see why

TrainsOfDisney

I may have missed some info on this project but is this it? Like I remember Joe Rohde on stage at D23 when they announced this project and it sounded like there was going to be a lot more than….. this. Haha.

DisneyHead123

I wonder if it’s logistically possible for them to build a Disney port somewhere in the US? I get that there are unique considerations involving the ecosystem on these islands and even bringing in increased electricity and water lines can disrupt that. For more of a Disney-fied experience, the existing infrastructure in the US might make sense, while leaving the Bahamas as ports for untouched natural beauty.

TrainsOfDisney

I wonder if it’s logistically possible for them to build a Disney port somewhere in the US? I get that there are unique considerations involving the ecosystem on these islands and even bringing in increased electricity and water lines can disrupt that. For more of a Disney-fied experience, the existing infrastructure in the US might make sense, while leaving the Bahamas as ports for untouched natural beauty.
One advantage of having a private island outside of the USA is you can have cruises that only stop at the private island. Since cruise lines are not US businesses - they must stop at an international place on the cruise.

Nothing is really stopping Disney from developing the islands more.

MR.Dis

One advantage of having a private island outside of the USA is you can have cruises that only stop at the private island. Since cruise lines are not US businesses - they must stop at an international place on the cruise.

Nothing is really stopping Disney from developing the islands more.
There was a very detailed agreement signed by Disney with the government on what could and would be done. You can google it if you are interested. As of now, what I see is nothing close to what the final product is supposed to look like.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
The more I look at details the less interested I am in going.

Yeah, the beach is the star of the show, but genuinely everything else looks genuinely bad. Bad execution, bland architecture. What a dud. We should expect more given DCL’s prices.

I don't get all the EPCOT criticism when this exists.

SplashJacket

If you’re interested in how much they budget cut the island, here’s the concept from 2020 and then the other concept from 2019.
IMG_7212.jpeg

IMG_7213.jpeg

Notable changes include:
  • Adventure Camp becomes “Future Expansion”
  • Adventure Camp gets downsized
  • South Family Beach becomes “Future Expansion”
  • Spa & Wellness becomes “Future Expansion”
  • Pedestrian trail gets moved to less interesting location
  • REMOVAL OF TRAMS FROM PIER
Notably, none of the cabanas were cut, instead the East Cabanas that were originally “Future Expansion” remained as such.

Also notably, the opening day activities like the Adventure Camp didn’t just get pushed to future expansion, instead they downgraded it to future expansion AND made that future expansion worse, whereas other plans that got downgraded to future expansions like Spa & Wellness weren’t downgraded (likely because they’re paid).

Unlike Castaway (which got its expansion to accommodate the larger Dream class of ships), I don’t see Lighthouse getting its expansion, since I don’t expect a new class of larger ships, unless people really, really hate it.

Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing.

Last edited:

Disone

The more I look at details the less interested I am in going.

Yeah, the beach is the star of the show, but genuinely everything else looks genuinely bad. Bad execution, bland architecture. What a dud. We should expect more given DCL’s prices.

I don't get all the EPCOT criticism when this exists.
I disagree. I do not think it looks genuinely bad. It matches the artist rendering. Truthfully in my opinion the Bahamas do not have a strong identifiable architectural style.

I do see where they built really very ordinary buildings and then colored them up and put fancy roofs on them. But honestly I'm okay with the end result. The buildings at castaway key are certainly not super expensive. And yes the beaches at LHP are absolutely the Stars here. But quite honestly castaway key beaches are nothing to sneer at either. Although recently they have ruined serenity Bay, Way too much sand Bank resulting in a very steep Sun lounging experience.

I do think DCL should have been ahead of the mark with that long Pier. They needed to come up with a better plan than what they did. There were options and they decided that guest walking would be okay for most of the guests. They knew they were wrong and they knew they were saying it to to justify not spending the money to do it right. And now here we are.

Perhaps less anticipatable, was the fly problem. Genuinely grossed out by that. Although I hear it's getting better quickly, they really need to eradicate that problem immediately and not quickly.

DisAl

No trams? Not at all interested in having to walk a half mile on a concrete pier and then another mile (hopefully a tram) just to get to the edge of the development. Lighthouse Point may end up being just as successful as the Galactic Starcruiser... They would probably have been much better off adding another dock and developed area at Castaway.

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

The isldand has a tram to take you from the east shore to the west shore. But man is it bleak.

That half mile long unthemed concrete pier walk is not going to be a happy place in the late afternoon in August with no breeze. Nothing like you last memory of the place being a death walk.

Man... they got themselves a friggin AMAZING beach on the east shore... but their execution of getting you to it is beyond laughable. Even the lounge chairs for the beach aren't actually on the beach... parents have been commenting it's a downright ridiculous and nonworkable setup for kid watching.

jme

Notable changes include:
  • REMOVAL OF TRAMS FROM PIER
Thank you! On the map above you can clearly see the tram turnaround originally planned for the pier.

The fact that this, of all things, was cut from this project is really upsetting.
Value engineering at its finest. Or should I say finance. Value engineering at its finance.

According to the public meetings from April 2021, that I linked earlier in this thread, the pier was narrowed due to the Environmental Impact Assessment findings. Here's the quote along with a screenshot of the image she's referencing (which are the 2019/2020 photos posted in higher-res above) *Note - Image on far left was a different land proposal from a different company for the same land
LPEIA.png

The middle is where we were in 2019 and you can see, the biggest difference between that and the far right, which was in late 2020, is in this Northwest quadrant where we discovered some sensitive habitats and cultural ruins, and as a result, moved some of this work to the eastern side of the property. We also narrowed the pier. We've heard from many, many stakeholders that minimizing the marine impact was critically important and narrowing the pier has allowed us to reduce the impact by about 25%.

TrainsOfDisney

Interesting - to me the disruption is going to be the actual construction of the pier which would be the same either way.

I definitely think it was a mistake. I’m also wondering why Disney wanted to work with the Bahamas if they were going to be so picky - why not just buy another island?

DisAl

Interesting - to me the disruption is going to be the actual construction of the pier which would be the same either way.

I definitely think it was a mistake. I’m also wondering why Disney wanted to work with the Bahamas if they were going to be so picky - why not just buy another island?
Galactic Bahama Cruiser... Good idea poorly executed.

Disone

According to the public meetings from April 2021, that I linked earlier in this thread, the pier was narrowed due to the Environmental Impact Assessment findings. Here's the quote along with a screenshot of the image she's referencing (which are the 2019/2020 photos posted in higher-res above) *Note - Image on far left was a different land proposal from a different company for the same land
View attachment 794208
Thank you.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So "many, many stakeholders" thought that having a pier that was twice as wide (so maybe 40 feet wide instead of 20 feet, I'm not sure of the exact width of the pier), which would have meant two sets of footings instead of one, at worst, was worth throwing out the "environmental impact" card? This sounds like extortion, at worst, and an egomaniacal exertion power over a multi-billion dollar global corporation that was willing to spend a LOT of money on your little island, at best. Or else someone at the bargaining table got very nervous and capitulated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom