Life Of Pi

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
I went to see this one on Friday and here it is...Monday and I'm still thinking about it.

Let me preface this by saying that I haven't read the book.

This movie absolutely blew me away...I'm sure the book is better and I do plan on reading it now.
In this day and age...with the way technology is, I can't remember the last time a movie has impressed me visually. Avatar did...Tron:Legacy did...but this one eclipsed them both by leaps and bounds IMO.

Now, onto a very "Spoiler-Free" review.
Visuals: A++
Never before have I been as impressed with a film visually as I have with this. Completely different times/places/events and each one is beautiful in it's own right. Ang Lee has stepped up his game.

3D or 2D?
I haven't seen this in 2D so I guess I really can't comment with first-hand knowledge but I actually can't imagine how it would be as good without it. I'm not a "pro-3D" guy...I actually see it as a silly gimmick but in certain instances, it's a necessity to enhance the film...and I feel it's needed in this case.

Story: A
If the stunning visuals was the vehicle for this film, the story was the driver.
I went into this not knowing anything...aside from the vague trailers. I saw an Indian boy stuck on a life raft with a tiger. That was enough to suck me in. I wanted to know how they came to live together in such small quarters in dire circumstances. Let me say...this movie was a WHOLE lot "bigger picture" than that. Great build-up (although a little slow...still entertaining) into a fantastic "event sequence" which was exciting...into the main "story" which was incredibly shot, with no "fluff." Then, the ending to wrap it all up...and boy does it! So many times I've seen a movie that just falls apart at the end (much like most rollercoasters...after the first hill, it just gets less intense as you go along the track) but this was just the opposite.

Without giving anything away, let me just say that I live my life a certain way...have certain beliefs...and certain outlooks. After seeing this, I questioned what I thought of myself. It's a deep film with a very "popcorn movie-like" look and feel.

I'd love to go into detail but would want people to go into this film not knowing really anything about it...as I did.

So, if you've read this, and don't want to know anything about it, please don't read any of the posts that follow...

So please, if you've seen it...let's discuss!

harveyt0206

Thanks for the review. :). I am really excited to see this movie but wasn't able to make it over the weekend due to holiday travel. Hopefully it will make it on to the agenda for next weekend.

acishere

I read the book and I'm still not sure how I feel about the final portion. I've been told that the movie has really improved on it. I really want to see the events unfold visually. I never thought it would be made into film when I started reading it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom