Life long Disneyland guy here: Please help me plan a trip to WDW or talk me out of it.

mickEblu

So boredom has kicked into full gear. I never thought these would be the conditions I'd want to take my families first trip to WDW but here we are. I’m starting to seriously consider a trip in late February/ early March. Masks, 5 year old, 5 month old (if and when we go) and all. The perks of low capacity and short lines seem to outweigh the mask requirement, shorter hours and less entertainment. Plus we all need it. Well maybe not my 3 month old daughter. But the rest of us do. This would be our first trip to WDW. Deals seem to be pretty good right now. I looked into pricing tonight for an 8 night stay in late February to Mid March and Coronado Springs is available for $200 per night. The Lakers recently stayed there during the NBA bubble so it can't be too shabby right? 8 nights and 5 day 1 park per day tickets are going to cost about $3500. Flights are about $120 non stop. Dining plans aren't being offered right now but I'm not sure id buy one anyway.

Im a little concerned about how this trip would go with my 5 year old son AND a newborn daughter who is pretty much breast feeding all day So I'm open to anyone calling me crazy or telling me to stay home. With that said its very common for us to go on a day trip and for my wife and I to ask each other if we left her at home as she'll sleep for hours in her stroller.

Here is my rough itinerary: Im planning on spending full days at the park. They all seem to be closing pretty early anyway. I don't think park hopping or going back go the hotel mid day is necessary with the low crowds or convenient with the kids.

Day 1: Arrive at WDW. Dinner at hotel or Disney Springs
Day 2: Park Day
Day 3: Park Day
Day 4: Down Day - Relax at Hotel, Disney Springs and/ or check out other hotels
Day 5: Park Day
Day 6 Park Day
Day 7: Down Day - Relax at Hotel, Disney Springs and/ or check out other hotels
Day 8: Park Day - (whichever park I pick to do twice)
Day 9: Depart

Side note: I might add a Universal park hopper instead of one of the down days (or 5th park day at WDW) and shift my itinerary around a little bit.

So a few questions for some of you WDW vets or DL'ers who have been to WDW:

1. Would you make any changes to the itinerary? Considering I'm going with two young children I figure I'll need the relaxing days in between the days at the park.

2. Are there any days of the week you would recommend for specific parks?

3. With the current capacity restrictions, do I still HAVE to be at the parks early to ride headliners like FOP and MMRR and still be able to do most of the rest of the parks?

4. Which park would you do twice? Ideally, knowing what I know about WDW, Id probably appreciate a second day at AK the most. However, due to the higher attraction count at MK and more stuff to do for the kids, MK might make more sense.

5. We'll be going with my sister, brother in law and 2 year old nephew so we'll be doing a lot of child switching on the coasters etc. Is this any less convenient at WDW than it is at DL?

6. What are some MUST EATS at the parks, hotels and Disney Springs? Anything from a snack to fine dining. Although the latter may be difficult to pull off. It doesn't have to all be about the food. For example a lunch at Sci Fi Dine in really appeals to me. Something unique or atmospheric is fun too on vacation.

7. Am I making a mistake not getting a park hoppers? I just don't see the value in them on this trip because of the lower crowds and just the inconvenience of it all with my young kids. I also feel like Im allowing myself enough time to where I don't need them. I do worry however about one of my must do attractions going down and missing my chance to ride (unless its at the park I do twice). With park hoppers you can try again another day.

8. Any strong opinions on Coronado Springs? Is it a bad location and does it make it difficult getting to the parks with youngsters? Am I better off staying at the POP Century that has easy Skyliner access for example AND saving money? Caribbean Beach resort also has pretty good rates for a Moderate, is that hotel any good?

9. What are the best ways to get to the parks with a baby and a 5 year old? Babies don't need car seats in buses right? Im not planning on renting a car as it doesn't seem necessary since I'm staying at WDW the entire time except for maybe the one day at Universal.

10. What is the best way to get from the airport to WDW?

11. Id like to hop on the monorail and Skyliner at some point, even if buses may be more convenient from my hotel. What would be the best days to try out those modes of transportation? Whats the best way, convenient and or fun/scenic way to get to the parks from Coronado Springs?

12. Would Disney Springs even feel like a down day? With the hassle that it takes to get there, would I be better off using it as a park day or just going to Disney Springs on days where I possibly finish with the parks early?

13. Is a 1 day park hopper enough for Universal? Is another day there, worth sacrificing one of my down days? Off the top of my head, there are only about 5 Must Do's for me between both parks.

14. Whats the best way to get to Universal from WDW?

15. Am I crazy for considering this trip right now with a 5 year old AND 5 month old?

Thanks in advance for the tips! I promise a very thorough trip report when I get back.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Ahhh, if you’ve done the full day DL then you know the ropes. I missed that.
And what’s the harm in trying for the full day? If it’s not working you bail to your nice hotel!
Please come back here after and let us know how your adventures went!

Will do!

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Park hopping is a real chore at WDW. It’s not as simple as walking across the esplanade, as you’re used to. What are your “must-do” attractions? If you only have a handful in each park, you should be able to knock them out in one day each... although I do understand that having small children slows one down immensely.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Just some humble thoughts... first off, my family has been twice since the reopening in July (July, November) and had very enjoyable trips both times. We've been over 20 times with my daughter, starting when she was 2 (she is now 16) and quite a few times before that. I'm the opposite of your family as I've been going to WDW since my youth and then just a few years back had my first DL trip (which is where my wife grew up going).

If it was me... I'd be diving headfirst into planning a big trip (maybe even 10 day) for October 2021 or maybe even March 2022. And I'd really get into that planning!! If you want to do some reading, I can't recommend @lentesta 's Unofficial Guide highly enough. I've bought three different editions and read it cover to cover twice (and some sections at least 10 times).

@brifraz - We've got pre-production chapters of the 2021 Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World here, if you want to skim those.

Upvote 0

mickEblu

Original Poster
Park hopping is a real chore at WDW. It’s not as simple as walking across the esplanade, as you’re used to. What are your “must-do” attractions? If you only have a handful in each park, you should be able to knock them out in one day each... although I do understand that having small children slows one down immensely.

I have a lot of must do’s as this is my first WDW trip but I’m able to eliminate some stuff as a DLR AP. Pretty much everything at MK is must do except Buzz, barnstormer, Mermaid, TL speedway, tiki room (?) and the flats which I’ll have to do anyway because of the kids.

At AK - Pandora/ FOP/ NRJ, EE, Dinosaur and the Safari

At DHS- MMRR, Slinky, ROTR, TOT, RnR. I can skip TSMM and Star Tours but would like to do them for my son.

At Epcot - SSE, American Adventure, Test Track, Frozen, Living with the land, Gran Fiesta Tour, Impressions and to a lesser extent.... Journey into imagination, Mission Space and Nemo. I’ll skip Soarin if I don’t have time.

Upvote 0

Schweino

I'd only go if you are committed to going again when things get back to more normal. You'll have a great time, but you are paying for a partial experience...

If money is no object go now and go again in 2022.
Totally agree with this. IMO if you are making just one trip of it, going now is a waste. There are too many little things/shows/experiences missing and you will not get the full experience. If you plan to go again next year when normal returns, then it doesn't matter :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom