Life long Disneyland guy here: Please help me plan a trip to WDW or talk me out of it.

mickEblu

So boredom has kicked into full gear. I never thought these would be the conditions I'd want to take my families first trip to WDW but here we are. I’m starting to seriously consider a trip in late February/ early March. Masks, 5 year old, 5 month old (if and when we go) and all. The perks of low capacity and short lines seem to outweigh the mask requirement, shorter hours and less entertainment. Plus we all need it. Well maybe not my 3 month old daughter. But the rest of us do. This would be our first trip to WDW. Deals seem to be pretty good right now. I looked into pricing tonight for an 8 night stay in late February to Mid March and Coronado Springs is available for $200 per night. The Lakers recently stayed there during the NBA bubble so it can't be too shabby right? 8 nights and 5 day 1 park per day tickets are going to cost about $3500. Flights are about $120 non stop. Dining plans aren't being offered right now but I'm not sure id buy one anyway.

Im a little concerned about how this trip would go with my 5 year old son AND a newborn daughter who is pretty much breast feeding all day So I'm open to anyone calling me crazy or telling me to stay home. With that said its very common for us to go on a day trip and for my wife and I to ask each other if we left her at home as she'll sleep for hours in her stroller.

Here is my rough itinerary: Im planning on spending full days at the park. They all seem to be closing pretty early anyway. I don't think park hopping or going back go the hotel mid day is necessary with the low crowds or convenient with the kids.

Day 1: Arrive at WDW. Dinner at hotel or Disney Springs
Day 2: Park Day
Day 3: Park Day
Day 4: Down Day - Relax at Hotel, Disney Springs and/ or check out other hotels
Day 5: Park Day
Day 6 Park Day
Day 7: Down Day - Relax at Hotel, Disney Springs and/ or check out other hotels
Day 8: Park Day - (whichever park I pick to do twice)
Day 9: Depart

Side note: I might add a Universal park hopper instead of one of the down days (or 5th park day at WDW) and shift my itinerary around a little bit.

So a few questions for some of you WDW vets or DL'ers who have been to WDW:

1. Would you make any changes to the itinerary? Considering I'm going with two young children I figure I'll need the relaxing days in between the days at the park.

2. Are there any days of the week you would recommend for specific parks?

3. With the current capacity restrictions, do I still HAVE to be at the parks early to ride headliners like FOP and MMRR and still be able to do most of the rest of the parks?

4. Which park would you do twice? Ideally, knowing what I know about WDW, Id probably appreciate a second day at AK the most. However, due to the higher attraction count at MK and more stuff to do for the kids, MK might make more sense.

5. We'll be going with my sister, brother in law and 2 year old nephew so we'll be doing a lot of child switching on the coasters etc. Is this any less convenient at WDW than it is at DL?

6. What are some MUST EATS at the parks, hotels and Disney Springs? Anything from a snack to fine dining. Although the latter may be difficult to pull off. It doesn't have to all be about the food. For example a lunch at Sci Fi Dine in really appeals to me. Something unique or atmospheric is fun too on vacation.

7. Am I making a mistake not getting a park hoppers? I just don't see the value in them on this trip because of the lower crowds and just the inconvenience of it all with my young kids. I also feel like Im allowing myself enough time to where I don't need them. I do worry however about one of my must do attractions going down and missing my chance to ride (unless its at the park I do twice). With park hoppers you can try again another day.

8. Any strong opinions on Coronado Springs? Is it a bad location and does it make it difficult getting to the parks with youngsters? Am I better off staying at the POP Century that has easy Skyliner access for example AND saving money? Caribbean Beach resort also has pretty good rates for a Moderate, is that hotel any good?

9. What are the best ways to get to the parks with a baby and a 5 year old? Babies don't need car seats in buses right? Im not planning on renting a car as it doesn't seem necessary since I'm staying at WDW the entire time except for maybe the one day at Universal.

10. What is the best way to get from the airport to WDW?

11. Id like to hop on the monorail and Skyliner at some point, even if buses may be more convenient from my hotel. What would be the best days to try out those modes of transportation? Whats the best way, convenient and or fun/scenic way to get to the parks from Coronado Springs?

12. Would Disney Springs even feel like a down day? With the hassle that it takes to get there, would I be better off using it as a park day or just going to Disney Springs on days where I possibly finish with the parks early?

13. Is a 1 day park hopper enough for Universal? Is another day there, worth sacrificing one of my down days? Off the top of my head, there are only about 5 Must Do's for me between both parks.

14. Whats the best way to get to Universal from WDW?

15. Am I crazy for considering this trip right now with a 5 year old AND 5 month old?

Thanks in advance for the tips! I promise a very thorough trip report when I get back.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Have you all had Covid? Will you have you been vaccinated by then? What is your plan if you become symptomatic during your trip?

Doing Disney with a young baby is one discussion. Doing Disney with a young baby in a pandemic is another discussion.

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

I am by no means an authority on visiting WDW with young children... but thought I would chime in anyway. These are just suggestions to put in your knowledge base... Some of these recommendations might be affected by Covid protocols on the property.

1. This is a tough one as the park hours can be shorter than what would be considered 'normal'. I would say with a 5 month old and a five year old an early afternoon nap break at your resort would be a really good idea. This works GREAT when the parks are open 12+ hours... but on a shorter day I don't know for sure... travel time to the resort round trip could be an issue. This can be mitigated somewhat if you use Lyft/Uber instead of the resort buses. But, you know your kids. And if they can handle an 8 or 9 hour day, roll on!

4. Have to remember - when visiting WDW it is either a kids trip or an adult trip. If you are traveling without grandparents (or someone else to watch the kids), it will be a kids trip. That means 2 days in the MK is probably your best bet. With all the shows being dark at AK it can really shorten your day there. NOTE: Oops... wrote this before I saw #5 lol! Doesn't change my recommendation of 2 days at MK though.

6. IF they have returned (and they probably will not have by the time you visit in FEB/MAR) any character dining experience is a must with kids. I personally like Tusker House in AK. There are so many food choices on the property you almost can't go wrong. In the MK one of my very favorite meal experiences is 'Be Our Guest'. The themed dining rooms are wonderful! Assuming they are operating normally it is one of the few restaurants that offers both a quick service (lunch) and a table service (dinner) dining experiences. It is also one of the hardest to get reservations for. Funny you should mention Sci-Fi Dine in Theater at HS... I LOVE that place! EPCOT recommendations: Coral Reef, Garden Grill, San Angel Inn. Space 220 looks awesome, but not sure when it will open. Outside the parks and DS, I love Sanaa at AKV - Kidani. If you are looking for unique and delicious food, Sanaa is awesome! The Indian-style Bread Service appetizer is to die for. These suggestions are based on the experience as much as the food. IMHO, almost all the food on the property is very very good.

7. Wouldn't recommend PH at this time.

8. Coronado Springs is a very large resort. Getting to the food court can be quite the trek. It isn't a conditioning issue as much as it is a time issue lol. When picking a resort you have to think about what is going to be important to you during your visit. If there is the potential to spend a lot of time at the resort with the young ones then a Moderate is probably your best bet. In my opinion, the Value resorts are OK if you have older children (or no kids at all) as you are only sleeping and getting ready for your day in the room itself. Of the Moderate resorts I think Port Orleans - French Quarter is my favorite.

9. Tough one as you are traveling with an infant. I would say buses to visit the parks and DS, Uber/Lyft if you are going to a different resort for dinner or to sightsee. But the Uber/Lyft will require a car seat... so...

10. If DME isn't available, Uber/Lyft would be fastest.

12. Like most things at WDW... DS is HUGE... so plan accordingly. If you like strolling through the stores window shopping there are some doozies for sure! Not sure I am any help here... so apologies lol.

14. Probably Uber/Lyft.

15. Probably. But you only live once... so... unless you can stomach waiting until later in the year I say go for it!

I hope this is some help. Just remember to keep an open mind as some suggestions might work better for you than others. Mine are not great, but I feel comfortable sharing them. Do your homework, have a plan, and then enjoy the trip! I am a planner... I have 12 page spreadsheets made up for every trip we make. It is excessive... I know... but I have the security of knowing I won't be encumbered with many decisions on the trip (that is relaxing for me)! No sitting around trying to decide what park to visit that day or where to eat. I just follow the schedule lol 😁

Upvote 0

mickEblu

Original Poster
I am by no means an authority on visiting WDW with young children... but thought I would chime in anyway. These are just suggestions to put in your knowledge base... Some of these recommendations might be affected by Covid protocols on the property.

1. This is a tough one as the park hours can be shorter than what would be considered 'normal'. I would say with a 5 month old and a five year old an early afternoon nap break at your resort would be a really good idea. This works GREAT when the parks are open 12+ hours... but on a shorter day I don't know for sure... travel time to the resort round trip could be an issue. This can be mitigated somewhat if you use Lyft/Uber instead of the resort buses. But, you know your kids. And if they can handle an 8 or 9 hour day, roll on!

4. Have to remember - when visiting WDW it is either a kids trip or an adult trip. If you are traveling without grandparents (or someone else to watch the kids), it will be a kids trip. That means 2 days in the MK is probably your best bet. With all the shows being dark at AK it can really shorten your day there. NOTE: Oops... wrote this before I saw #5 lol! Doesn't change my recommendation of 2 days at MK though.

6. IF they have returned (and they probably will not have by the time you visit in FEB/MAR) any character dining experience is a must with kids. I personally like Tusker House in AK. There are so many food choices on the property you almost can't go wrong. In the MK one of my very favorite meal experiences is 'Be Our Guest'. The themed dining rooms are wonderful! Assuming they are operating normally it is one of the few restaurants that offers both a quick service (lunch) and a table service (dinner) dining experiences. It is also one of the hardest to get reservations for. Funny you should mention Sci-Fi Dine in Theater at HS... I LOVE that place! EPCOT recommendations: Coral Reef, Garden Grill, San Angel Inn. Space 220 looks awesome, but not sure when it will open. Outside the parks and DS, I love Sanaa at AKV - Kidani. If you are looking for unique and delicious food, Sanaa is awesome! The Indian-style Bread Service appetizer is to die for. These suggestions are based on the experience as much as the food. IMHO, almost all the food on the property is very very good.

7. Wouldn't recommend PH at this time.

8. Coronado Springs is a very large resort. Getting to the food court can be quite the trek. It isn't a conditioning issue as much as it is a time issue lol. When picking a resort you have to think about what is going to be important to you during your visit. If there is the potential to spend a lot of time at the resort with the young ones then a Moderate is probably your best bet. In my opinion, the Value resorts are OK if you have older children (or no kids at all) as you are only sleeping and getting ready for your day in the room itself. Of the Moderate resorts I think Port Orleans - French Quarter is my favorite.

9. Tough one as you are traveling with an infant. I would say buses to visit the parks and DS, Uber/Lyft if you are going to a different resort for dinner or to sightsee. But the Uber/Lyft will require a car seat... so...

10. If DME isn't available, Uber/Lyft would be fastest.

12. Like most things at WDW... DS is HUGE... so plan accordingly. If you like strolling through the stores window shopping there are some doozies for sure! Not sure I am any help here... so apologies lol.

14. Probably Uber/Lyft.

15. Probably. But you only live once... so... unless you can stomach waiting until later in the year I say go for it!

I hope this is some help. Just remember to keep an open mind as some suggestions might work better for you than others. Mine are not great, but I feel comfortable sharing them. Do your homework, have a plan, and then enjoy the trip! I am a planner... I have 12 page spreadsheets made up for every trip we make. It is excessive... I know... but I have the security of knowing I won't be encumbered with many decisions on the trip (that is relaxing for me)! No sitting around trying to decide what park to visit that day or where to eat. I just follow the schedule lol 😁

Thanks for the great tips! I really appreciate it.

That Sanaa place sounds great!

I think I’ve decided to stay at Caribbean beach in which case the skyliner would be much more convenient for Epcot and DHS right?

Upvote 0

Little Green Men

If you ask me the restaurants at each park I would focus on would be:

MK
TS:
Cinderella Royal Table
Crystal Palace
Plaza Restaurant
Skippers Canteen

QS:
Casey’s Corner
Columbia Harbour House (currently located at Tomorrowland Terrace)
Sunshine Tree Terrace

Epcot
TS:
Coral Reef
Garden Grill
San Angel Inn
Biergarten
Via Napoli
Spice Road Table
Bistro De Paris
Rose and Crown
Le Cellier

QS:
Sunshine Seasons
Kringla Bakeri og Kafe
Regal Eagle Smokehouse
Katsura Grill
Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie
L’Artisan Des Glaces

DHS
TS:
50’s Primetime Cafe
Brown Derby
Mama Melrose
Sci fi

QS:
ABC Commissary
Docking bay 7
Woody’s Lunchbox
Baseline Taphouse

DAK
TS:
Tusker House (currently closed)
Nomad Lounge
Yak and Yeti
Tiffins

QS:
Flame Tree BBQ
Pizzafari
Pongu Pongu
Satuli Canteen

The resorts, water parks and Disney Springs are what set apart WDW from DL though.

Restaurants at DS
TS:
Art Smith’s Homecomin’
Morimoto Asia
Raglan Road
STK

QS:
Blaze Pizza
Jock Lindsay’s Hangar Bar
D-Luxe Burger
Gideon’s Bakehouse
Polite Pig

Upvote 0

Little Green Men

I think I’ve decided to stay at Caribbean beach in which case the skyliner would be much more convenient for Epcot and DHS right?
Yes! Caribbean Beach is the first resort I stayed at when I was five years old and have many great memories there. The skyliner makes it’s even better now. If you can, ask for a section closer to the skyliner and main resort area where the restaurants are.

Upvote 0

mickEblu

Original Poster
If you ask me the restaurants at each park I would focus on would be:

MK
TS:
Cinderella Royal Table
Crystal Palace
Plaza Restaurant
Skippers Canteen

QS:
Casey’s Corner
Columbia Harbour House (currently located at Tomorrowland Terrace)
Sunrise Tree Terrace

Epcot
TS:
Coral Reef
Garden Grill
San Angel Inn
Biergarten
Via Napoli
Spice Road Table
Bistro De Paris
Rose and Crown
Le Cellier

QS:
Sunshine Seasons
Kringla Bakeri og Kafe
Regal Eagle Smokehouse
Katsura Grill
Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie
L’Artisan Des Glaces

DHS
TS:
50’s Primetime Cafe
Brown Derby
Mama Melrose
Sci fi

QS:
ABC Commissary
Docking bay 7
Woody’s Lunchbox
Baseline Taphouse

DAK
TS:
Tusker House (currently closed)
Nomad Lounge
Yak and Yeti
Tiffins

QS:
Flame Tree BBQ
Pizzafari
Pongu Pongu
Satuli Canteen

The resorts, water parks and Disney Springs are what set apart WDW from DL though.

Restaurants at DS
TS:
Art Smith’s Homecomin’
Morimoto Asia
Raglan Road
STK

QS:
Blaze Pizza
Jock Lindsay’s Hangar Bar
D-Luxe Burger
Gideon’s Bakehouse
Polite Pig

Thank you! This is super helpful!

Upvote 0

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yes! Caribbean Beach is the first resort I stayed at when I was five years old and have many great memories there. The skyliner makes it’s even better now. If you can, ask for a section closer to the skyliner and main resort area where the restaurants are.

Lol well this info is a little outdated now. I was kind of convinced to save some money and go with the more convenient transpo option at the Hilton @ Disney Springs. How are the grounds at Caribbean Beach?

Upvote 0

Little Green Men

Lol well this info is a little outdated now. I was kind of convinced to save some money and go with the more convenient transpo option at the Hilton @ Disney Springs. How are the grounds at Caribbean Beach?
Ah thats up to you! I’ve personally never stayed at the Hilton but I’m sure it’s nice!

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

Ya know, I'm not really sure. Someone else can address this for you... my last trip the skyliners weren't quite finished yet. Can't wait to take my first ride lol. I have stayed at the CBR and enjoyed it very much. Can't really go wrong with the Moderate resorts in my opinion..

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

Just some humble thoughts... first off, my family has been twice since the reopening in July (July, November) and had very enjoyable trips both times. We've been over 20 times with my daughter, starting when she was 2 (she is now 16) and quite a few times before that. I'm the opposite of your family as I've been going to WDW since my youth and then just a few years back had my first DL trip (which is where my wife grew up going).

So, first thought - I wouldn't go now. Yeah, we had two great trips during restrictions, BUT if it was my only or my first or even a rare trip, I wouldn't want it in these circumstances. It's really just about doing rides and being in the environment right now. I think one of the best things about Disney are the shows and entertainment which are almost non-existent right now. Honestly, if this past trip was the first one I had taken to WDW, I might've been a little underwhelmed. Yes, the shorter lines are great but I'm not sure they make up for the lack of entertainment. Also, the transportation limitations can be a bit tough as things have gotten more crowded - the limited number allowed on busses makes them tougher to catch and also makes the Skyliner a little more crowded (if you do end up at Caribbean Beach). Uber/Lyft are fine, but I'm not sure how much I really trust them right now - yeah, I'm a little paranoid about being in a car that I have absolutely no idea who has been in it and most likely it is using recycled A/C - at least the busses have a little more space to them and the Skyliner is totally outside ventilation.

To your specific questions... here goes!

1. Itinerary - I actually think that your little ones would do better with more days, but shorter days in the parks. I know that costs more, but we found when our daughter was little that 3 hours in the parks in the morning, then 3-4 hours back at the room, then 2-3 hours back in the park was usually about the limit. Naps were essential for us (and are again as we are now close to 50) and just getting out of the constant barrage of things to see was good for younger brains. There were some full days that we did when our daughter was young and those correspond to all the times we ended up with a grumpy/upset/cranky kid. But, I know... it costs more!

2. Days of the Week - if there is a Festival going on at Epcot when you are there, avoid the weekends at Epcot. That's about the only day of the week issue that we've dealt with in recent times.

3. Headliners still get pretty healthy lines so park opening is usually your best bet for the top attractions. Second best time is the last hour before closing - and that has actually been even better during the limited hours of Covid times. With only 9-10 hours of parks being open, people all seem to be trying to do full days and by the end of those full days, they bail out.

4. Two day park? With a 5 year old, I'd go with Magic Kingdom. Right now, without any shows, Animal Kingdom does not really take a full day. Including line times, AK is about 1 hour for each Pandora ride, likely a bit under an hour for Safari and Everest, then maybe half an hour for Dinosaur, Tough to Be A Bug, Kali River so likely about 5 hours for the rides, plus about 20 minutes per jungle walk with kids and some food time - so roughly a 7 hour park (if the shows were back, that's another 2-3 hours) unless your 5 year old is REALLY into animals. Magic Kingdom is easily a 12+ hour park if you are trying to do all the attractions. Studios would actually be my second choice right now for a 2-day park.

5. Child Switch works great. I can't really compare to DL since our daughter was much older when we went there, but you just all wait in line and when you get to the front Parent #1 goes with Kid #1 (while parent #2 stays with kid #2) and then as soon as the first pair get off, Parent #2 goes with Kid #1. Pretty easy.

6. I think others have covered unique dining pretty well for you already, but with little ones I'd go with: Sci-Fi and maybe 50's Prime Time at Studios, maybe Be Our Guest at MK (but more likely just Cosmic Ray's) - I love Skipper's Canteen and enjoy Crystal Palace but with no characters I can't see those appealing to kids, Biergarten at Epcot (food isn't all that great but atmosphere and actual live entertainment are good) and maybe Living Seas - much as I love eating at Epcot it's not all that much fun for kids, Satuli Canteen at AK if the kids are a little adventurous. At Disney Springs there's a ton of great stuff, but again thinking of keeping a 5 and 2 year old entertained while eating makes it a little more limited.

7. The only reason to do Park Hoppers (IMHO) right now would be in case an attraction that is on your must-do list goes down. I'd personally recommend getting another day or two.

8. Been a long time since I stayed at Caribbean Beach, but I really enjoyed it. A bit spread out, but certainly relaxing and well themed. The Skyliner is quite convenient IF you are in a building close to it. I'm not a fan of any of the resorts that are 'hotel-like' so Carribean and PO/Riverside are likely my favorite Moderates. Coronado has the new building and pool which are a good draw (and I've always liked the dining options there).

9. As others have mentioned, Lyft is great to get around the resorts. If it isn't too crowded, the busses are actually pretty good and don't take up too much time. We always have a car because we like to be in total control of our time, but there are enough options there where you don't need one.

10. Magical Express is great IF they are running it fully (with luggage pick-up) and I'm not really sure the status of it right now or what it might be like in a few months. Otherwise, I'd got with Lyft.

11. Skyliner is great to go from Epcot or Studios to the Boardwalk for a meal or something. HIGHLY recommend doing an early morning at Magic Kingdom and then taking the monorail to Contemporary (or Poly or Grand Floridian) for a late breakfast/early lunch at one of the table services. We have done the early time at MK and then the latest possible breakfast seating at Chef Mickey's more than once on our trips and it's a great way to experience MK before lines, then the monorail, and characters at Chef Mickey's (who I believe are back to greeting guests from a distance).

12. Disney Springs is definitely worth your time IF you like shopping and are interested in unique gifts/souvenirs. Bussing to DS from any on-site resort is easy and usually very convenient. One possibility would be to go to Springs in the afternoon when kids are napping - just trade off which adult stays with the kids and everybody will get to visit DS at least once or twice and see the shops (and maybe grab some food, too).

13. Universal is all about the rides. If you (or any of your crew) like thrill rides, I could see doing two days. There's not a whole lot for little kids to enjoy there. The Harry Potter stuff is amazing if you are a fan, but otherwise (for me) there's not a huge amount of draw there. We tend to do two (or three) half days there on our trips but that is mainly because my wife and daughter are total thrill ride junkies AND huge Harry Potter fans.

14. Uber/Lyft. Can't think of better options to get to Universal, unless you are staying at a hotel off-site that offers a bus (and in current times I'm not sure I trust that totally).

15. Not crazy! Although, as I said way back at the beginning of this, I don't think it's the best choice.

If it was me... I'd be diving headfirst into planning a big trip (maybe even 10 day) for October 2021 or maybe even March 2022. And I'd really get into that planning!! If you want to do some reading, I can't recommend @lentesta 's Unofficial Guide highly enough. I've bought three different editions and read it cover to cover twice (and some sections at least 10 times).

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

Hmm... not sure how the Hilton transportation is more convenient than Caribbean Beach? Not sure of the Hilton specifically, but in our stays off-site, we have always found the busses to be far less frequent than on-site. Plus the Skyliner is always running and doesn't tend to get too long of lines and if it goes down they have busses that run to replace it it (although those busses are not quite as reliable). Now, in terms of saving money - the Hilton could definitely be a good option. We just did 5 days at the Holiday Inn by Disney Springs and loved it (but had our own car and I definitely wouldn't count on their busses).

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

1. If you think that would work then go with it. I'd still make park reservations for every day in case you decide to change it around. You wouldnt want to chance not having a park to go to. I'd play it by ear and see how you and the kids hold up. Everyones kids have different thresholds when away from home in different places. Get those naps in anyway each day. Try keeping a shedule your kids are use to.
2. There used to be a formula for best days / best parks but thats no longer valid so much. The busier parks will be MK and DHS due to the new attractions everyone is targeting.
3. Yes if you want a better chance of getting them done without longer waits in line. Nothings changes as far as those attractions that are most popular get guests running to them first.
4. MK is always one we hit up multiple times. The other would be which interests you the most or gives you the most pleasure. AK is the most humid and hottest park, and a lot more walking. One thing to consider with a baby and young kid. For me my other second park would be DHS or EP.
5. No difference in child swap from WDW and DL, works the same.
6. Check out the different menus and reviews online to see which spot agrees more to your tastes. Some spots might interest you more on theming as well.
7. PH wouldnt be a great value to you because its your first trip to WDW. Theres plenty to see and do and experience in each park. Just hopping would take away time transporting around. Use your time better in each park.
8. Dont have experience staying at that resort.
9. Bus transportation works well enough. Uber can be faster and more convenient in certain circumstances, but can get costly.
10. MDE or Uber.
11. Maybe on one of your down days.
12. Yes. Its different enough to make it feel as a relaxing down day compared to the parks. Depends on your likes. Are you a shopper or one who enjoys browsing through shops? It has a lot of shops... some interest me, others dont. The restaurants and QS areas differ from the parks. There is entertainment in music around the area as well.
13. Depends on your likes. For me it isnt worth the 2 days time. Look at their site and see what interests you and whether its worth it.
14. Uber. Taxi service more expensive. Disney has no transportation off property.
15. Only you know how much time you need to care for them through the day and evening, how they will affect your trip enjoyment, how well behaved the 5yo is, the sacrifice you will have to make on the trip for them. You say you are going with others, so how much will the kids being along affect their trip enjoyment. And are they willing to help you out if needed.

Upvote 0

mickEblu

Original Poster
Just some humble thoughts... first off, my family has been twice since the reopening in July (July, November) and had very enjoyable trips both times. We've been over 20 times with my daughter, starting when she was 2 (she is now 16) and quite a few times before that. I'm the opposite of your family as I've been going to WDW since my youth and then just a few years back had my first DL trip (which is where my wife grew up going).

So, first thought - I wouldn't go now. Yeah, we had two great trips during restrictions, BUT if it was my only or my first or even a rare trip, I wouldn't want it in these circumstances. It's really just about doing rides and being in the environment right now. I think one of the best things about Disney are the shows and entertainment which are almost non-existent right now. Honestly, if this past trip was the first one I had taken to WDW, I might've been a little underwhelmed. Yes, the shorter lines are great but I'm not sure they make up for the lack of entertainment. Also, the transportation limitations can be a bit tough as things have gotten more crowded - the limited number allowed on busses makes them tougher to catch and also makes the Skyliner a little more crowded (if you do end up at Caribbean Beach). Uber/Lyft are fine, but I'm not sure how much I really trust them right now - yeah, I'm a little paranoid about being in a car that I have absolutely no idea who has been in it and most likely it is using recycled A/C - at least the busses have a little more space to them and the Skyliner is totally outside ventilation.

To your specific questions... here goes!

1. Itinerary - I actually think that your little ones would do better with more days, but shorter days in the parks. I know that costs more, but we found when our daughter was little that 3 hours in the parks in the morning, then 3-4 hours back at the room, then 2-3 hours back in the park was usually about the limit. Naps were essential for us (and are again as we are now close to 50) and just getting out of the constant barrage of things to see was good for younger brains. There were some full days that we did when our daughter was young and those correspond to all the times we ended up with a grumpy/upset/cranky kid. But, I know... it costs more!

2. Days of the Week - if there is a Festival going on at Epcot when you are there, avoid the weekends at Epcot. That's about the only day of the week issue that we've dealt with in recent times.

3. Headliners still get pretty healthy lines so park opening is usually your best bet for the top attractions. Second best time is the last hour before closing - and that has actually been even better during the limited hours of Covid times. With only 9-10 hours of parks being open, people all seem to be trying to do full days and by the end of those full days, they bail out.

4. Two day park? With a 5 year old, I'd go with Magic Kingdom. Right now, without any shows, Animal Kingdom does not really take a full day. Including line times, AK is about 1 hour for each Pandora ride, likely a bit under an hour for Safari and Everest, then maybe half an hour for Dinosaur, Tough to Be A Bug, Kali River so likely about 5 hours for the rides, plus about 20 minutes per jungle walk with kids and some food time - so roughly a 7 hour park (if the shows were back, that's another 2-3 hours) unless your 5 year old is REALLY into animals. Magic Kingdom is easily a 12+ hour park if you are trying to do all the attractions. Studios would actually be my second choice right now for a 2-day park.

5. Child Switch works great. I can't really compare to DL since our daughter was much older when we went there, but you just all wait in line and when you get to the front Parent #1 goes with Kid #1 (while parent #2 stays with kid #2) and then as soon as the first pair get off, Parent #2 goes with Kid #1. Pretty easy.

6. I think others have covered unique dining pretty well for you already, but with little ones I'd go with: Sci-Fi and maybe 50's Prime Time at Studios, maybe Be Our Guest at MK (but more likely just Cosmic Ray's) - I love Skipper's Canteen and enjoy Crystal Palace but with no characters I can't see those appealing to kids, Biergarten at Epcot (food isn't all that great but atmosphere and actual live entertainment are good) and maybe Living Seas - much as I love eating at Epcot it's not all that much fun for kids, Satuli Canteen at AK if the kids are a little adventurous. At Disney Springs there's a ton of great stuff, but again thinking of keeping a 5 and 2 year old entertained while eating makes it a little more limited.

7. The only reason to do Park Hoppers (IMHO) right now would be in case an attraction that is on your must-do list goes down. I'd personally recommend getting another day or two.

8. Been a long time since I stayed at Caribbean Beach, but I really enjoyed it. A bit spread out, but certainly relaxing and well themed. The Skyliner is quite convenient IF you are in a building close to it. I'm not a fan of any of the resorts that are 'hotel-like' so Carribean and PO/Riverside are likely my favorite Moderates. Coronado has the new building and pool which are a good draw (and I've always liked the dining options there).

9. As others have mentioned, Lyft is great to get around the resorts. If it isn't too crowded, the busses are actually pretty good and don't take up too much time. We always have a car because we like to be in total control of our time, but there are enough options there where you don't need one.

10. Magical Express is great IF they are running it fully (with luggage pick-up) and I'm not really sure the status of it right now or what it might be like in a few months. Otherwise, I'd got with Lyft.

11. Skyliner is great to go from Epcot or Studios to the Boardwalk for a meal or something. HIGHLY recommend doing an early morning at Magic Kingdom and then taking the monorail to Contemporary (or Poly or Grand Floridian) for a late breakfast/early lunch at one of the table services. We have done the early time at MK and then the latest possible breakfast seating at Chef Mickey's more than once on our trips and it's a great way to experience MK before lines, then the monorail, and characters at Chef Mickey's (who I believe are back to greeting guests from a distance).

12. Disney Springs is definitely worth your time IF you like shopping and are interested in unique gifts/souvenirs. Bussing to DS from any on-site resort is easy and usually very convenient. One possibility would be to go to Springs in the afternoon when kids are napping - just trade off which adult stays with the kids and everybody will get to visit DS at least once or twice and see the shops (and maybe grab some food, too).

13. Universal is all about the rides. If you (or any of your crew) like thrill rides, I could see doing two days. There's not a whole lot for little kids to enjoy there. The Harry Potter stuff is amazing if you are a fan, but otherwise (for me) there's not a huge amount of draw there. We tend to do two (or three) half days there on our trips but that is mainly because my wife and daughter are total thrill ride junkies AND huge Harry Potter fans.

14. Uber/Lyft. Can't think of better options to get to Universal, unless you are staying at a hotel off-site that offers a bus (and in current times I'm not sure I trust that totally).

15. Not crazy! Although, as I said way back at the beginning of this, I don't think it's the best choice.

If it was me... I'd be diving headfirst into planning a big trip (maybe even 10 day) for October 2021 or maybe even March 2022. And I'd really get into that planning!! If you want to do some reading, I can't recommend @lentesta 's Unofficial Guide highly enough. I've bought three different editions and read it cover to cover twice (and some sections at least 10 times).

Thanks for taking the time to write all this up! Really appreciate it. I was originally planning a trip to Hawaii but then thought how many times am I going to go to Hawaii before I go to WDW!? Hawaii will be more relaxing but nothing is truly relaxing with young children so I thought why not to do the fun trip since I probably won’t be relaxing anyway?

Trust me these were never the conditions I thought I’d want to take our first trip to WDW in but we re getting desperate over here. I also feel (or I did feel) that shorter lines and lower capacity outweigh some of the cons of less entertainment, mask requirements and shorter hours. You saying the headliners lines are still really long is raising some concern though. I’ve been monitoring the app and lines have been longer but I think that can be attributed to the holidays and longer hours. I’m hoping that when I go in late February the waits times go down as it will be off season with shorter operating hours too. If the lines remain longer though I think that tips scales towards this trip not being worth it right now. Good thing cancellation policies are very lenient right now.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Thanks for taking the time to write all this up! Really appreciate it. I was originally planning a trip to Hawaii but then thought how many times am I going to go to Hawaii before I go to WDW!? Hawaii will be more relaxing but nothing is truly relaxing with young children so I thought why not to do the fun trip since I probably won’t be relaxing anyway?

Trust me these were never the conditions I thought I’d want to take our first trip to WDW in but we re getting desperate over here. I also feel (or I did feel) that shorter lines and lower capacity outweigh some of the cons of less entertainment, mask requirements and shorter hours. You saying the headliners lines are still really long is raising some concern though. I’ve been monitoring the app and lines have been longer but I think that can be attributed to the holidays and longer hours. I’m hoping that when I go in late February the waits times go down as it will be off season with shorter operating hours too. If the lines remain longer though I think that tips scales towards this trip not being worth it right now. Good thing cancellation policies are very lenient right now.

Thanks again!

Trying to make me jealous by talking about multiple visits to Hawai'i... I've been twice and would LOVE to go again - so much to see and do and explore!!

The lines are not as long as normal, for sure - and I doubt they will get that long. The lines on the App have been easily double the actual wait times in our two trips during Covid. The flip side, of course, is that were times 'normal' you might be able to avoid much wait at all for three or four attractions (with FP+). Given that capacity has increased to (around) 35% of normal, pending the status of the pandemic, there's a good chance that the crowd level in February will be feel like the normal crowd level in February. Having not really visited during that time of year, I can't speak to how good/bad that might be. I suspect that most of the parks on an average February day would max out at 50% capacity (Epcot likely a little under and MK and DHS likely a little over) but with the lack of shows/parades and some attractions to spread the crowd around that 35% will result in lines about the same as the usual 50%. Obviously, those are all hypothetical numbers, but...

I totally get the desperation (if you really want to dive into my state of mind, feel free to read my trip reports), but I also know that I wouldn't want my first WDW trip to only have 2/3 of the experiences available (no idea if that is really the number). If you are hoping and planning to do another trip in a few years, then I could see this maybe being okay as you'll have a whole new crop of experiences for next time - but if this is going to be the only time you can get to WDW for a number of years, I'd be a little hesitant.

But if you do decide to go... have an awesome time! And feel free to ask questions - in addition to our twenty trips, we've planned first visits for three other families and provided help to countless others planning visits!

Upvote 0

mickEblu

Original Poster
Trying to make me jealous by talking about multiple visits to Hawai'i... I've been twice and would LOVE to go again - so much to see and do and explore!!

The lines are not as long as normal, for sure - and I doubt they will get that long. The lines on the App have been easily double the actual wait times in our two trips during Covid. The flip side, of course, is that were times 'normal' you might be able to avoid much wait at all for three or four attractions (with FP+). Given that capacity has increased to (around) 35% of normal, pending the status of the pandemic, there's a good chance that the crowd level in February will be feel like the normal crowd level in February. Having not really visited during that time of year, I can't speak to how good/bad that might be. I suspect that most of the parks on an average February day would max out at 50% capacity (Epcot likely a little under and MK and DHS likely a little over) but with the lack of shows/parades and some attractions to spread the crowd around that 35% will result in lines about the same as the usual 50%. Obviously, those are all hypothetical numbers, but...

I totally get the desperation (if you really want to dive into my state of mind, feel free to read my trip reports), but I also know that I wouldn't want my first WDW trip to only have 2/3 of the experiences available (no idea if that is really the number). If you are hoping and planning to do another trip in a few years, then I could see this maybe being okay as you'll have a whole new crop of experiences for next time - but if this is going to be the only time you can get to WDW for a number of years, I'd be a little hesitant.

But if you do decide to go... have an awesome time! And feel free to ask questions - in addition to our twenty trips, we've planned first visits for three other families and provided help to countless others planning visits!

Thank you again for helping plan a trip for a stranger on the internet! I really appreciate the insight. I definitely would go back to WDW at least once when the kids are older. Unless of course the first trip is so bad I never want to see WDW again. Lol

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

A few thoughts for you. I agree with @brifraz that I probably wouldn't make my first trip to Disney now with small kids. So many things are absent right now and "how you Disney" has changed considerably this year. We've been going since each of our kids were 3, (they are 32 and 20 now), and while Disney is awesome it can be challenging. If you are going a few things to consider...

1) Is that I think you are going to need more mid day down time, if not for all of you, maybe taking turns with the baby. (Don't know how long a 5 year old will hang). We clock 6-8 or more miles a day walking.
2) The risk of exposure is greatest to your 5 month old in my opinion. The CDC etc. all talk about the mask keeping other people from getting your germs, but a mask helps a little, and the baby has little protection. I will say the precautions Disney has in place are very good with most people fairly compliant. It's a calculated risk.
3) We were there in October and some of the lines are actually quite long and while not as crowded in the parks in general as in the past, the wait times can still be substantial. I don't know how it will be in February. Early mornings in the park are great time savers. You can get so much more done in the first 2-3 hours (except for late evening) than any other time of the day.
4) Also posters have mentioned Uber, etc. But I assume you need a car seat for the baby if not the 5 year old. I believe you can request transportation with them, but not sure. The skyliner is awesome, but the buses are hit or miss for lines and wait times due to decreased capacity.
Hope that helps a little.

Upvote 0

mickEblu

Original Poster
A few thoughts for you. I agree with @brifraz that I probably wouldn't make my first trip to Disney now with small kids. So many things are absent right now and "how you Disney" has changed considerably this year. We've been going since each of our kids were 3, (they are 32 and 20 now), and while Disney is awesome it can be challenging. If you are going a few things to consider...

1) Is that I think you are going to need more mid day down time, if not for all of you, maybe taking turns with the baby. (Don't know how long a 5 year old will hang). We clock 6-8 or more miles a day walking.
2) The risk of exposure is greatest to your 5 month old in my opinion. The CDC etc. all talk about the mask keeping other people from getting your germs, but a mask helps a little, and the baby has little protection. I will say the precautions Disney has in place are very good with most people fairly compliant. It's a calculated risk.
3) We were there in October and some of the lines are actually quite long and while not as crowded in the parks in general as in the past, the wait times can still be substantial. I don't know how it will be in February. Early mornings in the park are great time savers. You can get so much more done in the first 2-3 hours (except for late evening) than any other time of the day.
4) Also posters have mentioned Uber, etc. But I assume you need a car seat for the baby if not the 5 year old. I believe you can request transportation with them, but not sure. The skyliner is awesome, but the buses are hit or miss for lines and wait times due to decreased capacity.
Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the tips!

We were DLR APs so my son has some experience with full days at the parks. Granted our average trip with about 7 hours and we weren’t going for days at a time. Leaving mid day to go back to the hotel when the parks close between 5-7pm just doesn’t feel like its worth it to me.
My daughter can sleep in her stroller and my son will have to man up! Lol. No but seriously, if the parks were open later I would agree with you but I can’t justify a mid day break on a 8 hour day at the parks. I feel like we wouldn’t get half the stuff we want to do done. But you could be right! I may come back here in a couple months to tell you that I should have listened to you. Definitely don’t want to run myself into the ground either. Hoping those down days helps with that.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

Thanks for the tips!

We were DLR APs so my son has some experience with full days at the parks. Granted our average trip with about 7 hours and we weren’t going for days at a time. Leaving mid day to go back to the hotel when the parks close between 5-7pm just doesn’t feel like its worth it to me.
My daughter can sleep in her stroller and my son will have to man up! Lol. No but seriously, if the parks were open later I would agree with you but I can’t justify a mid day break on a 8 hour day at the parks. I feel like we wouldn’t get half the stuff we want to do done. But you could be right! I may come back here in a couple months to tell you that I should have listened to you. Definitely don’t want to run myself into the ground either. Hoping those down days helps with that.

Thanks again!
Ahhh, if you’ve done the full day DL then you know the ropes. I missed that.
And what’s the harm in trying for the full day? If it’s not working you bail to your nice hotel!
Please come back here after and let us know how your adventures went!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom