Life in Orlando

MerHearted

Original Poster
For those who live in Orlando, can you tell me what life is like there? I'm guessing the majority of your free time is spent at WDW. When I picture life in Orlando, I see myself at WDW pretty much just all the time. Is that the case? Cause I don't really see what else there is in the Orlando area. (Yeah, there are the other theme parks but it's the same idea.) I ask myself if I would ever get tired of WDW if I lived in Orlando. Thinking about it, WDW is just so vast and there's so much to do and there's always different stuff happening throughout the year, I find it hard to imagine getting tired of it. I also picture a huge community of Disney people there and with that, a good chance to meet and make some good friends. It all sounds so exciting but it also feels like it's all there is. Like putting all your eggs in one basket, with Orlando, it seems like it's going to be the ultimate Disney life and nothing else. I'm not sure how to feel about that. What is life in Orlando like for you? Also, I hear Orlando's pretty dangerous. Is that true? Thanks for any input you can give.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
There are many cool things to do in town that don't involve the parks... see a Magic Game, go to Leu Gardens (freakin' amazing), and honestly, I don't view Downtown Disney as part of WDW. When I need to go out of town, I drive 2 hours, and I'm in an entirely different state of mind.

Orlando is a bit dangerous, but you're from Philly.. you'll be fine. Just be smart about how you act and where you do, and you'll be fine.

Plus, I actually like you. You're a good guy. I won't let you get burned :)

I honestly like it, and I think you would too Vince.

DDuckFan130

Vince, I highly doubt your life in Orlando needs to revolve around WDW. There ARE other things to do. You just have to find what to do. And if the other theme parks aren't your thing (and I would think you can give the others a shot, they're not horrible), then go somewhere else in Florida. Make a day trip to go to Tampa/St. Pete. Take a weekend and go to any other city in Florida.

If you open your mind, WDW won't be the only thing to do if you live in Orlando. Don't restrict yourself.

My 2 cents :wave:

k.hunter30

Hey Vince, I've heard that a lot of people who live in Orlando like to invite their good friends over and take them to the parks...
**wink, wink, nudge, nudge**
:lol:

But in all seriousness, I'm sure it's like what the above posters have said - it's what you make of it.

Uponastar

Vince, I highly doubt your life in Orlando needs to revolve around WDW. There ARE other things to do. You just have to find what to do. And if the other theme parks aren't your thing (and I would think you can give the others a shot, they're not horrible), then go somewhere else in Florida. Make a day trip to go to Tampa/St. Pete. Take a weekend and go to any other city in Florida.

If you open your mind, WDW won't be the only thing to do if you live in Orlando. Don't restrict yourself.

My 2 cents :wave:

Like Regina said, Vince. . .
Don't forget that Orlando is not all of Florida.
Have you been to the Keys? Or Ft. Myers? Sannibel Island?
Daytona? St. Augustine? Just a few of the amazing places you could visit.
Why not take a trip down when you can and look beyond WDW.
You may be pleasantly surprised!

MerHearted

Original Poster
Orlando is a bit dangerous, but you're from Philly.. you'll be fine. Just be smart about how you act and where you do, and you'll be fine.

I was hoping to go to a place where I could increase my life expectancy. Considering my track record, I dunno how much longer I'll last here. :lol: :lookaroun

MerHearted

Original Poster
Vince, I highly doubt your life in Orlando needs to revolve around WDW.

Oh, but it would! See, Orlando is up against Anaheim and Southern California. So far in this, Anaheim is winning every single battle... except one, that fact that Orlando would be the ultimate Disney life. Anaheim would give me some Disney while Orlando would give me a whole lotta Disney! Other than that, I'm not seeing what else Orlando would take over Anaheim.

Uponastar

Oh, but it would! See, Orlando is up against Anaheim and Southern California. So far in this, Anaheim is winning every single battle... except one, that fact that Orlando would be the ultimate Disney life. Anaheim would give me some Disney while Orlando would give me a whole lotta Disney! Other than that, I'm not seeing what else Orlando would take over Anaheim.

Okay, so Orlando is more Disney than Anaheim. . .
But what we're trying to tell you is that Florida is more than just Disney.
No doubt, if you move there and work there Orlando will give you all the Disney you could ask for.
But when you're ready for something different, you'll be able to find that as well!

SteveUK

I actually don't see this as a bad thing. I moved from a quiet village in the middle of the country with about a dozen houses and a few sheep to the centre of Glasgow, because I like a place with a bit of edge, a bit of a personality. I get bored where things are too quiet. I like to live in a city, with all the grit and problems that brings. I'm not naive of the issues, I work in law enforcement, I just enjoy the pace of life in the city, problems and all.

And if I could do this, and be close to WDW - great!

DDuckFan130

Your question, however, was if WDW revolves around all Orlando residents' lives. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Brad (speck), for example, has barely been to the parks lately. But he doesn't stay at home. He finds other things to do. It's kinda like the assumption that Miami=beach. Please, I haven't even been to the beach in years. But I still find plenty to do. And I'm happy here.

If you went to Anaheim, I'm sure you'd find other things to do besides DL.

My advice is not to make your move all about Disney. I know you feel the need to move out of Philly, so do it. Go where you feel you need to go, but don't revolve your future or your entire life around Disney. Believe it or not, there is more to life than that :lookaroun

MerHearted

Original Poster
My advice is not to make your move all about Disney. I know you feel the need to move out of Philly, so do it. Go where you feel you need to go, but don't revolve your future or your entire life around Disney. Believe it or not, there is more to life than that :lookaroun

Bite your tongue!

Number_6

I haven't been to any of the Parks over at WDW since October. I can't really afford to since it's just my income supporting my wife and kids. I would love to go more often, especially before I move at the end of May, but if not, then I know I'll be back to visit at the very least. But from Orlando, it's only about an hours drive to Cocoa Beach and to Kennedy Space Center, depending on where you are in Orlando it's anywhere from 1-2 hours to get to Tampa/St Pete and Daytona is only about 45 minutes to an hour away. As far as the crime rate here, as long as you stay away from MetroWest, Pine Hills a.k.a. "Crime Hills" and parts of Kissimmee, you should be okay for the most part. Just bear in mind if you head to those areas that the murder rate in Orlando has jumped 118% in the last two years and a good number of those happened over that way. It got bad enough that the "Guardian Angels" from New York City came down to start patrolling Pine Hills.

stranger

Vince, don’t forget to keep an open mind, no matter where you decide to move. You shouldn’t make Disney your whole world, but a part of it. (Remember while you stayed 2 weeks at DL, you said you regretted not taking mine and my sister’s offer to hit the beach and take you out to LA.) Concentrate on finding a job first, doesn’t matter in Anaheim or Orlando. Once you do find that job, things will fall into place. One thing that both places have to offer you is a new opportunity to get you out of Philly, to grow up and to be on your own. So, please don’t look at it as Anaheim vs. Orlando….that is just putting more pressure on yourself. :wave:

DDuckFan130

Vince, don’t forget to keep an open mind, no matter where you decide to move. You shouldn’t make Disney your whole world, but a part of it. (Remember while you stayed 2 weeks at DL, you said you regretted not taking mine and my sister’s offer to hit the beach and take you out to LA.) Concentrate on finding a job first, doesn’t matter in Anaheim or Orlando. Once you do find that job, things will fall into place. One thing that both places have to offer you is a new opportunity to get you out of Philly, to grow up and to be on your own. So, please don’t look at it as Anaheim vs. Orlando….that is just putting more pressure on yourself. :wave:
That's what I said.............somewhat.........but same message :lookaroun

MerHearted

Original Poster

I know and the decision tears me apart at times. But it's just they are two different places and I will have a different life in each place. I would like the decision to be mine. It feels like if I just let the job decide then it's forcing my hand. I dunno, it's just confusing.

DDuckFan130

I know and the decision tears me apart at times. But it's just they are two different places and I will have a different life in each place. I would like the decision to be mine. It feels like if I just let the job decide then it's forcing my hand. I dunno, it's just confusing.
So what if the job decides for you? Let fate guide you because wherever you end up, it'll be because it's meant to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom